Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-24-20, 08:42 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
I would add that the next hot spots are likely to be Florida (probably due to Spring Break) and Lousiana (probably due to Mardi Gras).
Atlanta ICUs reportedly at full capacity. Hopefully @DougRNS is still out on his ride and safe.
Old 03-24-20, 08:42 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Hey LAJ - what Safety Glasses are you buying? I usually buy the anti fog.
I have some anti fog Ztek, but am partial to these. Lots of blue on the kits, and there are a couple with blue in them I like. I'm half tempted to try some bifocals, because the Garmin seems to be getting smaller....
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-24-20, 08:44 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by BillyD
It’s bad, the Governor is pleading for supplies and with people to cooperate and stay home. Kind of reminds me of when the mayor of New Orleans was pleading for help as Katrina struck, this could be even more tragic.
Even here, I am appalled by the lack of respect for the social distancing thing. Back the heck off, bro or sis, as the case may be.
Old 03-24-20, 08:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Or at least his Ti bike.
I've never ridden with him but he has a cf Trek.
Old 03-24-20, 08:47 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Even here, I am appalled by the lack of respect for the social distancing thing. Back the heck off, bro or sis, as the case may be.
How is it at work?
Old 03-24-20, 08:53 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
That's how they trick you - they really want you to get up and feed them.
I frequently feed Spot when I get up to pee. The way things are laid out here, it's no biggie.

Old 03-24-20, 08:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
I used to buy these from Amazon, but they seem not to be available through them anymore. The lens color is light enough that I can still comfortably wear at near down hours and “just” about enough for bright midday rides. But I have to admit, I was never comfortable with very dark sunglasses.

https://www.criticaltool.com/pyramex...s-silver-frame

what I’d really like is a pair of Rudy project photochromic glasses, but the #cheapskate in me doesn’t allow it.
Yeah, I'm a yellow lens guy, for all sunglass occasions.

Old 03-24-20, 09:00 PM
LAJ
So it is

How is it at work?
No walk in's, phone only. Minimizing appointments, but am taking care of appointments made previously, and I screen all appointments before setting one. Attitude is everything, right now. In the old days, it was a family event to go to the place where LAJ will diagnose the car, now, one person only. We also deal with the diesel crowd, and the sign on the door means nothing to those tools. They'll wander on in, and the guys that work the diesel side will just tell them to get comfortable. Smudgepot drivers can't read anything, unless it has the word Bud, or Miller High Life in it...

It's weird.
Old 03-24-20, 09:01 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

When you buy three pairs of cycling glasses for $10 during the zombie apocalypse, you're stimulating the economy and getting ahead at the same time.
And, speaking of getting ahead, the exchange rate is at an all time high. Everything is 20% cheaper(for American expats) than it was last week. And gas prices are significantly lower too, in case you want to go anywhere
Sad
And we will get to watch your coming week, knowing we are right behind.
Sadder

Old 03-24-20, 09:08 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
No walk in's, phone only. Minimizing appointments, but am taking care of appointments made previously, and I screen all appointments before setting one. Attitude is everything, right now. In the old days, it was a family event to go to the place where LAJ will diagnose the car, now, one person only. We also deal with the diesel crowd, and the sign on the door means nothing to those tools. They'll wander on in, and the guys that work the diesel side will just tell them to get comfortable. Smudgepot drivers can't read anything, unless it has the word Bud, or Miller High Life in it...

It's weird.
Boy howdy
Old 03-24-20, 09:09 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
I had to go to Wally World today (and was dreading every minute of it). Luckily, there were not too many people there, but the ones that were, were not social-distancing. I almost went full-Karen on the store manager because they had one woman- who looked to be in her late seventies- walking around in her street clothes, only wearing a pair of nitrile gloves, wiping down the electronic equipment with a wash cloth she occasionally dipped into a bucket of liquid in her cart. I asked her which disinfectant she was using. It turned out to be their normal cleaner than they use on everything all the time, the main ingredient being 6.5% ammonium hydroxide, which I sincerely hope I am wrong in thinking that it has not been found effective against covid.
"Well, I have to use what they give me. It's what we use all the time and there's really nothing better out there. Anyway, what does it matter? They haven't found anything that will kill the virus, have they?" She said to me. And came back to me, a little defensive like I was attacking her. I wasn't, I fully understood that she had to do what her employer said.
"Um, 10% bleach works just fine. That has been shown to work multiple times. Good luck to you, ma'am." I hope that got her to start questioning some things, but I doubt she's in a position to do so.
I just in that moment could not comprehend a way I could have a coherent conversation with the store manager without ending up on the news or part of a viral video. Still feel guilty about it, though, I probably should have tried to say something to someone higher up.
Old 03-24-20, 09:19 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ

It's weird.
What kind of place is it?
Old 03-24-20, 09:22 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Local automotive shop has gone self check in.

Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-24-20, 09:28 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by big john
What kind of place is it?
It's a division of the Colorado Department of Health and Environment. I diagnose vehicles that shops and consumers are having issues with passing the emission test. We still run an IM240 loaded mode dyno test, and it's as close to real as it can get.

The diesel side is a whole different ballgame, but there is a pretty cool old dyne that can handle a tandem wheel coalburner, and it's pretty interesting to watch a tandem dump or tractor spool that thing up. Less the noise, and the smell, and all the rest that's associated with those pigs.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-24-20, 09:29 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by rjones28
Local automotive shop has gone self check in.

That's awesome, and I may steal it.
Old 03-24-20, 09:35 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
It's a division of the Colorado Department of Health and Environment. I diagnose vehicles that shops and consumers are having issues with passing the emission test. We still run an IM240 loaded mode dyno test, and it's as close to real as it can get.

The diesel side is a whole different ballgame, but there is a pretty cool old dyne that can handle a tandem wheel coalburner, and it's pretty interesting to watch a tandem dump or tractor spool that thing up. Less the noise, and the smell, and all the rest that's associated with those pigs.
I retired from a Chevy dealer last year. I did IM 240 testing on around 6000 cars until California switched to static IM testing on everything 2000 and newer.
We never put a diesel on the dyno.
Old 03-24-20, 09:45 PM
LAJ
So it is

I retired from a Chevy dealer last year. I did IM 240 testing on around 6000 cars until California switched to static IM testing on everything 2000 and newer.
We never put a diesel on the dyno.
Yep. I knew you were there forever, with the typical shop stuff. I didn't know you guys did IM240, which is cool. I know ASM was big for a while. I have a few friends that are getting ready to, or have closed up shop, in California. The BAR and CAP would have driven me over the edge.

I was thrilled to walk away from the private part, though the pay cut was tough to take, at least in the beginning. I gained time, and quit hurting my body, and that's worth more than gold. Plus, I don't have to fix anything, unless I feel like it. We have an all wheel dyne for cars and light trucks, and the diesel dyne is over in a different part of the shop.
Old 03-24-20, 09:55 PM
big john

We didn't participate in the CAP because I didn't want to and the owner really didn't know about it. To be in that part of the program you have to apply and qualify.
Old 03-24-20, 10:01 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I had to go to Wally World today (and was dreading every minute of it). Luckily, there were not too many people there, but the ones that were, were not social-distancing. I almost went full-Karen on the store manager because they had one woman- who looked to be in her late seventies- walking around in her street clothes, only wearing a pair of nitrile gloves, wiping down the electronic equipment with a wash cloth she occasionally dipped into a bucket of liquid in her cart. I asked her which disinfectant she was using. It turned out to be their normal cleaner than they use on everything all the time, the main ingredient being 6.5% ammonium hydroxide, which I sincerely hope I am wrong in thinking that it has not been found effective against covid.
"Well, I have to use what they give me. It's what we use all the time and there's really nothing better out there. Anyway, what does it matter? They haven't found anything that will kill the virus, have they?" She said to me. And came back to me, a little defensive like I was attacking her. I wasn't, I fully understood that she had to do what her employer said.
"Um, 10% bleach works just fine. That has been shown to work multiple times. Good luck to you, ma'am." I hope that got her to start questioning some things, but I doubt she's in a position to do so.
I just in that moment could not comprehend a way I could have a coherent conversation with the store manager without ending up on the news or part of a viral video. Still feel guilty about it, though, I probably should have tried to say something to someone higher up.
Every day I feel the same way. Something that leaves me aghast like the person doing the cleaning using an ineffective product and not being aware there’s an effective product.

Todays was this: a cycling friend who is a dentist put up a long ranting FB post about how she closed her practice and laid off her staff because the State of California forced her to stop practicing due to COVID19 concerns. What? I asked what she was talking about and eventually it turned out the actually the California Dentistry Association has recommended that dentists not see patients unless they have the appropriate personal protective equipment for themselves and their staff. And she doesn’t have that equipment (masks etc) & can’t get it, so she can’t see patients (plus she wouldn’t see enough emergent/urgent cases to be able to support staying open). So in reality it’s a supply chain issue that has more to do with lack of pandemic preparedness on a national level. I pointed this out and she agreed with what I stated and then immediately insisted again that she was shut down by the State of California.

I asked her if she would see cases if she had PPE. Yes, she would. Emergencies and urgent things.

I asked her if the California Dentistry Assoc (which by the way is not a government organization) hadn’t issued the recommendation that dentists not see cases without PPE, what would she do? She said she’d see cases without PPE, she doesn’t think it’s necessary and she thinks her patients can use their brains and decide on their own whether to see a dentist with PPE or not. Good Lord. Your average joe can’t glance at a medical provider’s mask and assess its viability for protecting them against a specific viral infection!

Of course this post has now been spread far and wide in our circle. Doesn’t matter one iota that the fundamentals of the rant- that the State of California shut her practice down and put her and her staff out of work- isn’t true. Reality, truth, honesty just don’t matter any more.

PS Her husband works for JPL. Financially she personally will be fine.
Old 03-24-20, 10:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Guess who just got a push reel mower?

Mowing of the lawns is now a zone 2 activity.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-24-20, 10:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Wow, Heathpack !!! Amazing how many people like to roll the dice.
Old 03-24-20, 10:11 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Guess who just got a push reel mower?

Mowing of the lawns is now a zone 2 activity.

Woohoo
Old 03-24-20, 10:14 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Heathpack

Todays was this: a cycling friend who is a dentist put up a long ranting FB post about how she closed her practice and laid off her staff because the State of California forced her to stop practicing due to COVID19 concerns. What? .
I saw that and there was a lot of the "cure is worse than the illness" sentiment expressed by the other posters. There were posts about how Covid19 is no worse than the flu.
Old 03-24-20, 10:17 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I saw that and there was a lot of the "cure is worse than the illness" sentiment expressed by the other posters. There were posts about how Covid19 is no worse than the flu.
Ha now I am outed because you can read my replies and learn my true identity!
Old 03-24-20, 10:20 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Ha now I am outed because you can read my replies and learn my true identity!
I better go check that out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.