Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrade my riding gear.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 02:57 PM
pullings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

On my road bike, I have always used a decent helmet, leather padded gloves, and run-of-the mill padded biking pants and quick-dry jersey. I have never felt exposed or in need of anything more substantial.
However, on my e-powered trike, I give up some of the stability I enjoy on my road bike and I also ride it faster averaging 25MPH.
Is there road-bike gear available that provides some protection against rash if I were to take a spill?
Also, I need a new helmet anyway, so I will be upgrading to a better helmet as well.
TIA.
Old 06-03-20, 03:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Not road bike but you could look at downhill mtb protective gear, though any extra padding will be hot . I suggest you re-examine your situation. Are you sure you are less stable on the trike? If it's a 'bent you probably couldn't flip it if you tried.
Old 06-03-20, 06:43 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Motorcycle racing leathers and a full face helmet.
Old 06-03-20, 11:21 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
At 25 mph and “not as stable” as you call it, seems like you’re just asking for trouble. I would suggest knee and elbow guards if you are concerned with falling.
Old 06-04-20, 12:26 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Motorcycles?
Old 06-04-20, 08:48 AM
pullings

Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
At 25 mph and “not as stable” as you call it, seems like you’re just asking for trouble. I would suggest knee and elbow guards if you are concerned with falling.
Yes, I choose to ride hard sometimes. I figure gearing up for the fall (vs gearing up for the ride) is a good plan.
Knee/elbow guards excellent suggestion. Thanks.
Taking a look at MB forum (Thanks shelbyfv) is a good place to start. :-)
Here is a video of a typical ride for me: Fast forward to minute 4:30 to bypass boring stuff: Search youtube for "SPIM08HP trike conversion" to see my ride.
I'd post a link, but do not have permission to as I am a new member.

Anything over 20MPH on a bent tadpole trike and things get twitchy when turning (unplanned/accidental turns could end badly...being able to ride the trike on two wheels is a valuable skill in these situations).
PS: As far as "you could not flip if you tried".....yes, if your only going 10MPH or less. Quite the opposite though as you go faster, as weight center-of-gravity is way above plane where wheels contact ground. Unless rider leans you are in the weeds before you know whats happening.

Last edited by pullings; 06-04-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 02:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

E bike and "riding hard"....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-04-20, 02:44 PM
pullings

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
E bike and "riding hard"....
Thanks for the helpful reply. ;-)
Likes For pullings:
Old 06-05-20, 08:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
It seems to me that if you have issues controlling your e-assist tadpole about a certain speed ... you need more practice.

I am not saying this in a demeaning way.

I liken it to my own MTB riding, .... or descending steep hills (which I almost never do, here in Flatahoma.) At a certain pace, my speed exceeds my skill. On a road going downhill fast, i can go as fast as my legs and gravity will let me---if the road is straight. (I have ridden a fully loaded touring bike up and down mountains----up is pretty heartbreaking, but down is a blast---well past the point of that tingling tenseness of mild fear---if the road is straight.)

On a twisty road, I have no idea of how much my technique and my tires can manage. I always overbrake, because it only takes a few fast crashes to see that high-speed crashes are not as productive ans enduring ridicule form fellow riders,. And on both the road ans the trail, big exposure and I don't get along well. if I was absolutely certain of my riding ability in those conditions ... okay. But I am not.

off road, I get scared by steep rock-or root gardens or just steep trails. I have crashed enough, and occasionally got pretty hurt and wrecked my bike badly enough, that I have to recognize when the terrain exceeds my skill.

You are in the same situation. Riding your trike at 25 mph is more than you can handle---right now.

Forget protective gear. if you come off at 25 mph road rash won't be your main worry.if you flip you will be ramming your head and neck into the pavement. You might be looking at life in a wheelchair ... or a hospital bed ... or not waking up. There is no protective gear for some crashes.

Your best bet is just practicing. Take the speed up slowly, learn to balance, learn to trust your reflexes, learn ho w fast you can go before your body does some reflexive twitch towards the brakes (which can be the worst thing.) Build up slowly until you know how to ride your bike at those speed and more important, trust your ability to ride your bike at those speeds.

In my limited experience ... if you Know you can do a thing 95%, you can push a little, but if you know you are going Way beyond your comfort level, it is a dice roll. You might just push through ... or that little loss of attention caused by the voice saying (Dude, this isn't worth it" and the little tenseness caused by your brain knowing that you are pushing too far, can be the very factors which cause you to crash.

But ... whatever. You are grown, and make your own choices. if you really want to crash at 25 mph, go ahead. As others have said, full motorcycle racing leathers might be your only hope ... with a neck restraint too, and a motorcycle helmet. Yeah, you might hate every minute of the ride ... but if you crash at 25 mph, particularly rolling a tadpole trike at that speed .... if you can ever ride again it is a lucky thing.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-05-20, 09:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Hot take- dont ride at speeds in excess of your skill level.

This is something I have told my kids a dozen times thru the years, often times at night after they took a totally avoidable spill into brush while going over a berm due to too much speed or missing a turn in the woods and running into something.

Just because you own a motor operated toy that can go fast doesnt mean you need to go fast. Its really quite simple.
...or deck yourself out in downhill body armor to ride an etrike, I guess.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-05-20, 09:20 AM
pullings

Originally Posted by Maelochs
It seems to me that if you have issues controlling your e-assist tadpole about a certain speed ... you need more practice.

I am not saying this in a demeaning way.

I liken it to my own MTB riding, .... or descending steep hills (which I almost never do, here in Flatahoma.) At a certain pace, my speed exceeds my skill. On a road going downhill fast, i can go as fast as my legs and gravity will let me---if the road is straight. (I have ridden a fully loaded touring bike up and down mountains----up is pretty heartbreaking, but down is a blast---well past the point of that tingling tenseness of mild fear---if the road is straight.)

On a twisty road, I have no idea of how much my technique and my tires can manage. I always overbrake, because it only takes a few fast crashes to see that high-speed crashes are not as productive ans enduring ridicule form fellow riders,. And on both the road ans the trail, big exposure and I don't get along well. if I was absolutely certain of my riding ability in those conditions ... okay. But I am not.

off road, I get scared by steep rock-or root gardens or just steep trails. I have crashed enough, and occasionally got pretty hurt and wrecked my bike badly enough, that I have to recognize when the terrain exceeds my skill.

You are in the same situation. Riding your trike at 25 mph is more than you can handle---right now.

Forget protective gear. if you come off at 25 mph road rash won't be your main worry.if you flip you will be ramming your head and neck into the pavement. You might be looking at life in a wheelchair ... or a hospital bed ... or not waking up. There is no protective gear for some crashes.

Your best bet is just practicing. Take the speed up slowly, learn to balance, learn to trust your reflexes, learn ho w fast you can go before your body does some reflexive twitch towards the brakes (which can be the worst thing.) Build up slowly until you know how to ride your bike at those speed and more important, trust your ability to ride your bike at those speeds.

In my limited experience ... if you Know you can do a thing 95%, you can push a little, but if you know you are going Way beyond your comfort level, it is a dice roll. You might just push through ... or that little loss of attention caused by the voice saying (Dude, this isn't worth it" and the little tenseness caused by your brain knowing that you are pushing too far, can be the very factors which cause you to crash.

But ... whatever. You are grown, and make your own choices. if you really want to crash at 25 mph, go ahead. As others have said, full motorcycle racing leathers might be your only hope ... with a neck restraint too, and a motorcycle helmet. Yeah, you might hate every minute of the ride ... but if you crash at 25 mph, particularly rolling a tadpole trike at that speed .... if you can ever ride again it is a lucky thing.
Thanks for the detailed reply. :-)
Old 06-05-20, 12:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Lightweight fold up side guards for the passenger area?

Cheers
Old 06-05-20, 01:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the trike. Sounds unique.
Old 06-05-20, 03:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the trike. Sounds unique.
Here's a screenshot of the trike in the video the OP posted about.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-05-20, 03:58 PM
pullings

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Here's a screenshot of the trike in the video the OP posted about.
Cheers
Thanks. :-)