Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Bike route

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for a Bike route

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 02:36 PM
Jconlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a Bike route

Hi all looking for a bike commuting route from Jersey City to Port St in Newark. I have googled this and have came up with almost the identical route. That would be Rt 1&9 towards Newark to Doremus Ave then bicycle along Doremus Ave to Port St. Pretty straight forward huh? However this is a major truck route and I have to be honest I’m nervous as hell. Does anyone else bike this route? I work in Port Newark and this is probably the most straight forward way to go. Does anyone else travel this way. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thx
Old 07-09-20, 03:01 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I have no knowledge of the area, but try this mapping site and see if there are alts: https://cycle.travel
Old 07-10-20, 01:58 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
When I go to google maps and type in Jersey City to Port Street and choose "bike", I get the route you described. When I reverse the route Google shows alternate routes.

The alternate through Harrison is only a half mile longer and keeps you off of Doremus as long as possible. The street view of Doremus looks menacing.

I know you only asked about the route, but I would suggest three things (If you don;t already use them) to make riding on those truck-heavy streets a little less un-nerving.

1) A helmet or glasses mount mirror. They can take a little getting used to but you will see traffic coming up behind you as easily as you do using the mirrors in a car. If a wide load is coming up behind you, you can pull all the way over to the right and even stop if you need to. I have a couple of streets with no shoulders I do this on.

2) Flashers! on the bike and on your helmet...bright daytime flashers so THEY CAN SEE YOU>

3) An Airzound Airhorn. I've been using them for 20 years. You pump it up with your bike pump (a floor pump works best).

It's been a while, but I have been to the Newark Airport area a few times over the years and there is some formidable traffic on those streets. As I began looking at the street views I recognized some of the Turnpike stretches. I grew up riding and driving in Chicago, and Newark is crazy!

Good luck, and let us know what route you dchoose.
Old 07-10-20, 02:35 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
There appears to be an "ECG cycleway" bicycle route that will go from point to point....

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 07-10-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 10:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
https://map.greenway.org/?loc=13,40....2514,-74.76166

The "greenway" seems to use surface streets in this area.
Old 07-18-20, 02:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
This may or may not help, but here are some routes from Jersey City to Newark on Ride With GPS; you might be able to refine the results.