Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a rod and/or plate removed from their leg?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 05:56 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts

Last June, I was training for a 140 mile charity ride. I was training with a large group. I got t-boned by a car going 40 mph. I flew 50 feet and broke my ankle on both sides, my tibia, fibia, and my shoulder.

The Dr. said I would be off the bike for 6 months, but I was back on 77 days after the accident. I have a plate and a dozen screws in my ankle, and a rod up to my knee. I was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks, crutches for two, and a cane for a couple of weeks before I could walk.

I went for a ride a month ago and notice a quarter size blister on the side of my ankle. I went to the Dr. and he said I might have to have a screw removed because it was causing an infection. I Went back last week because it hadn't healed. Now he is saying that I need to have my plate and my rod removed along with the screws. Has anyone had a plate or rod removed from their leg and if so, how long did it take to recuperate?
Old 12-18-17, 07:20 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I had a friend that broke his wrist and had to have the pin removed as it was working its way out. It did not extend the healing process as the bone healed. He just had the pin pulled out. He said it did hurt to have that done, but there are no ill effects.

I have a plate and screws in my ankle, but there was no infection. I can feel the head of the screws, but it does not bother me any.

good luck on having the operation done and may the recuperation period be short.
Old 12-18-17, 07:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
This thread is worthless without X-rays.

Anyway, congratulations. Your injury sounds way worse than mine, and your recovery is impressive.

To answer your question, I am lucky in that I don't feel any of the hardware, but I know a lot of folks who have had to have them removed. One guy I met on the trail had the same surgeon I had, and he was telling me how he talked the guy into removing a few screws just in his office. I think it is fairly minor compared to what you went through. A rod I think would be not worth the trauma.

Edit: Thinking about this further -- why would you have to have everything removed? Why not just the screw, unless he has a reason to think the hardware was contaminated or something? Might be worth finding out, because removing a rod isn't going to be trivial.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-18-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 11:07 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Been following this climber for years and last year he broken is leg on a training climb. He is very dedicated to get back to climbing again:

Broken Leg Update: A Setback and a Plan | The Blog on alanarnette.com
Old 12-20-17, 07:09 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
This thread is worthless without X-rays

I had my procedure and he removed the right ankle plate with 7 screws. He left the rod in because it was not infected.
Old 12-21-17, 01:59 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I have a plate and a bunch of screws on my collarbone. The surgeon said they would remove it if I wanted and the recovery would be minimal. Really just healing the incision they would need to make. I haven't done it though since it doesn't bother me and if I do, more nerves will be severed and the reduced feeling I have in the area will be that much worse.

I think it's good that you did it since infections that involve bones can be very serious.
Old 12-22-17, 05:33 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Surgeons make crappy carpenters.

Ouch!