Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Cycling Law for Arkansas

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 01:04 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts

Arkansas just passed a new Bike Law.

https://m.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/...NOXwKOZaEoIimI

I've been doing this for years, good to know it's legal now.
Old 04-04-19, 01:44 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
That is so cool. Only 48 more states to go

Old 04-04-19, 03:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...top-signs.html
Old 04-04-19, 03:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Good on Arkansas.

Not from AR but visit periodically. My understanding is that the real power In the state is in the NW region - where coincidentally, they have good terrain for mtb (and presumably road) riding. Major employer(s) in the area are using outdoor/recreational lifestyle to draw employees. Salaries are less than East&West Coast companies, so the lower cost of living + lifestyle is a draw. If NW Arkansas talks, Little Rock listens well. but that's only my 3rd hand opinion.

Where I visit, south of LR, road riding is mostly flat, rural 'highways', two lane with no shoulders, 45-50mph speed limit, but low traffic except at certain times. Not always a safe feeling, given big pickups and a few logging trucks or 16 wheelers. I learned to accept it, without really trusting, as it's only a few weeks a year. A good many little towns to stop at.
Old 04-05-19, 06:16 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Excellent. Now NC needs to do this.
Old 04-05-19, 08:31 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Good on Arkansas.

Not from AR but visit periodically. My understanding is that the real power In the state is in the NW region - where coincidentally, they have good terrain for mtb (and presumably road) riding. Major employer(s) in the area are using outdoor/recreational lifestyle to draw employees. Salaries are less than East&West Coast companies, so the lower cost of living + lifestyle is a draw. If NW Arkansas talks, Little Rock listens well. but that's only my 3rd hand opinion.

Where I visit, south of LR, road riding is mostly flat, rural 'highways', two lane with no shoulders, 45-50mph speed limit, but low traffic except at certain times. Not always a safe feeling, given big pickups and a few logging trucks or 16 wheelers. I learned to accept it, without really trusting, as it's only a few weeks a year. A good many little towns to stop at.
Here in NW Arkansas there are some top notch Mtn Biking trails thanks to the Walmart Heirs. And right now the Joe Martin Stage Race is going on in Fayetteville. But Little Rock has some pretty nice MUP's. There is one in the works that will link Little Rock with Hot Springs. It would end up being something like 70 miles in length. Hot Springs has been building some really great Mnt Biking trails also.
Old 04-05-19, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
When did Arkansas get traffic lights?
Old 04-05-19, 08:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When did Arkansas get traffic lights?
just before Indiana...… (drumroll and cymbal)
Old 04-05-19, 09:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

I have been doing these things for a long time too. They're really common sense rules. But of course I get yelled at from time to time by drivers. Not because I caused a dangerous situation, but just because in their opinion I broke the law and their jacka$$ needle pegs out. Nevertheless...I've always felt safer behind motor vehicles rather than in front of them. And, displacing myself from potentially dangerous situations...i.e. intersections...makes it safer for all of us (i.e. me/cyclist AND drivers).

But with this becoming 'law'...it raises a couple of "devil's advocate" questions that aren't addressed in this Arkansas law/article.

1. When these STOP sign>YIELD sign, and RED light>STOP sign rules exist...what is the rule for motorized "bicycles"? They're not licensed (at least not in my state of RI). Technically they're bicycles. So if a "cyclist" is cruising down the road at 40-50mph...can he treat the sign/light like a cyclist that is actually "pedaling" their bicycle without the assistance of a motor? And if that is allowed, will motorcyclists argue that they should be able to do it?

2. And what about the "STOP" signs displayed on school buses? It's a STOP sign, so can the cyclist proceed if pedestrians from the school bus aren't crossing the street? The law/article only says "...cyclists approaching a stop sign must slow down — stopping if necessary to avoid a hazard — and yield to right-of-way pedestrians." So if the pedestrians aren't crossing there's nothing to yield to.

Dan
Old 04-05-19, 11:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As for school buses, that is common sense. If you want to hit kids, proceed.

Motorized bikes should follow the same laws as bicycles. The rules are not "bicycle" rules per se, they are "slower vehicle" rules. An E-Bike or a motorized bike under whatever limit (49 cc or whatever HP or speed limit each state sets) is grouped with bicycles because they share similar speed limitations which keep them form matching pace with car and truck traffic.

If the motorized bike can cruise at 50 mph it is a motorcycle and follows motorcycle laws.

Not saying this stuff is correct but since it's on the internet, it must be, right?

Rhode Island Moped Laws (Rhode Island Moped Laws)
Moped definition
Two-wheeled vehicles which may be propelled by human power or helper power or both. Mopeds must have engines smaller than 50 cubic centimeters and they cannot excede 30 mph.

Scooter definition
A scooter is a two-wheeled vehicle that can only be propelled by a motor. It has no ability to be propelled by human power. They must have engines smaller than 50 cubic centimeters and they cannot excede 30 mph.

License requirements
Operators of motor scooters with engines smaller than 50 cubic centimeters that do not travel faster than 30 mph are only required to have a valid drivers license

Moped law history
In 2005, Rhode Island made a law requiring all moped and scooter operators to have a valid motorcycle license. Many rental businesses sued the state for this ruling. The law was overturned in 2006, which resulted in the current law.

Safety and Emission Inspection
These vehicles must be inspected every two years for a fee of $47 (Electric vehicles are exempt):

All used vehicles under 8,500 lbs. purchased from a licensed dealer must have a New sticker at the time of sale.
All used vehicles under 8,500 lbs. - private sales - owneer transfer - coming from out of state - have five (5) business days to get the vehicle inspected.
All NEW motor vehicles have two (2) years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, to obtain an inspection sticker.
Also, all motorcycles must be inspected before June 30 of each year for a fee of $11.00

Moped traffic laws
All mopeds and scooters operating on public roads must obey to the normal traffic laws
If you see a motorized bike doing 50 mph, video it and report it.
Old 04-05-19, 08:52 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I agree that the school bus rule is common sense. But unfortunately common sense isn't always so common. In this case the common sense goes out the window when a dumba$$ who is cruising down the road on a motorized bicycle (not a moped)...at whatever speed...+/-40mph...on a vehicle that probably isn't designed for that speed...and not wearing a helmet. So that operator may think they're entitled to go around stopped school buses. I don't think these laws, such as what Arkansas enacted, are bad. They're good actually. But maybe they need to be more specific and stipulate certain things.

Dan
Old 04-05-19, 09:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

a STOP sign, so can the cyclist proceed if pedestrians from the school bus aren't crossing the street? The law/article only says "...cyclists approaching a stop sign must slow down — stopping if necessary to avoid a hazard — and yield to right-of-way pedestrians." So if the pedestrians aren't crossing there's nothing to yield to.

Dan
If the bicycle is not assisted by anything other than the legs of the human body to propel the cycle, the way to treat a bus with its stop sign displayed out is no different than if the very same cyclist were just walking along the same section of shared road.
Should the walking pedestrian stop walking to yield to the peds from the bus? No.

This new law should be a no brainer for every State in the United States. Will it get abused? Yes, like everything can & often is. Should everything be scrutinized down to the lowest logic denominator? Absolutely not.

There are too many don'ts as it is. It would probably take less paper to have the "dos" established in order to know what we can all actually do.
Old 04-05-19, 10:15 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Troul
If the bicycle is not assisted by anything other than the legs of the human body to propel the cycle, the way to treat a bus with its stop sign displayed out is no different than if the very same cyclist were just walking along the same section of shared road.
Should the walking pedestrian stop walking to yield to the peds from the bus? No.
According to BicycleLaw.com https://www.bicyclelaw.com/road-rights-not-so-slow/ bicycles are required to stop for stopped school buses. I always do. And the laws don't say anything about human-powered or motorized bicycles. It just says bicycles. But all I'm saying is that there are idiots out there who will reason that "a stop sign is a stop sign" whether it's on a school bus or not. And, the law now says I can go through it without stopping. And when you add motorized bicycles into the mix...the laws don't differentiate between human-powered bicycles, and motorized bicycles. So when that same idiot is zooming down the road on his bicycle powered with a motor, 30-40mph, and blows past a school bus, and hits a kid...there may be some ambulance-chasing lawyer who can get him off because the law says that he isn't required to stop for STOP signs.

Dan
Old 04-05-19, 11:11 PM
Maelochs

I don't worry about the idiots. Let the cops and EMTs worry about the idiots.

As for the dishonest lawyer ... I have not read the traffic laws beyond what I posted above. It is entirely possible that the laws regarding stopped school buses take precedence. No sense worrying until you have done the research.