Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any idea of De Rosa date?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 07:13 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts

Picked this up today and was wondering roughly what year it was.

Thanks
Old 06-12-20, 07:13 PM
sloar 

Old 06-12-20, 07:40 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Gorgeous. Ask Jiangshi.
Old 06-12-20, 11:12 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
A very nice De Rosa and year can be narrowed down quite well - with just some small irregularities. The pre microfusione style short point lugs without cut outs, the no heart cut out bottom bracket shell, the top tube brake cable guides, porto catena rear dropout puts the frame at 1977-1979. Seen from the side the shape of the lower line at the seat lug is an uninterrupted curve which was present before 1973 and again when they turned to the microfusione style seatlug in 1979-80 (there are no calender exact changes at new years in this...). All above together with the fork crown with the "De Rosa" text that came circa 1980 - I would put this frame at 1979. Circa of course...

The fork can of course have been changed but the rest puts it in the very late 70-ies anyway. Check if the fork has a star cut out in the fork reinforcement tangs under/inside fork crown.

PS - and edit. When magnifying the picture showing the fork crown I spot a real difference to the "normal" crowns with "De Rosa" text. The ones from circa 1980 with a star cutout fork tang. Yours has a different font. Interesting - might be a transition version. Now I really want to know the fork tang design! Please take a picture!

Last edited by styggno1; 06-12-20 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 11:04 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
styggno1 has pretty much nailed it.

Nice score.
Old 06-13-20, 11:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
At least DeRosa filed away the Cinelli markings on the bottom bracket shell.
Nice bike. I like the graphics, afterward no so much.
Old 06-13-20, 06:42 PM
sloar 

Originally Posted by styggno1
A very nice De Rosa and year can be narrowed down quite well - with just some small irregularities. The pre microfusione style short point lugs without cut outs, the no heart cut out bottom bracket shell, the top tube brake cable guides, porto catena rear dropout puts the frame at 1977-1979. Seen from the side the shape of the lower line at the seat lug is an uninterrupted curve which was present before 1973 and again when they turned to the microfusione style seatlug in 1979-80 (there are no calender exact changes at new years in this...). All above together with the fork crown with the "De Rosa" text that came circa 1980 - I would put this frame at 1979. Circa of course...

The fork can of course have been changed but the rest puts it in the very late 70-ies anyway. Check if the fork has a star cut out in the fork reinforcement tangs under/inside fork crown.

PS - and edit. When magnifying the picture showing the fork crown I spot a real difference to the "normal" crowns with "De Rosa" text. The ones from circa 1980 with a star cutout fork tang. Yours has a different font. Interesting - might be a transition version. Now I really want to know the fork tang design! Please take a picture!