Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thinking about my Eisentraut build...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 10:47 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts

I've got a 1975 Turin-branded Eisentraut Limited frame from jeirvine onto which I hung a mish-mash of parts for an initial build just to take it out for a spin:

Assuming it's a keeper (I think it will be), I will eventually swap in an early Cyclone GT rear derailleur. While a first-gen Rally might be more high zoot, I can't see spending for it when a Crane GS or Cyclone GT will shift at least as well (probably better) at a more wallet-friendly price point. I will probably keep the seatpost, pedals, crank and shifters. I like the cockpit, though the more I ride my other bikes with bars in the 35-39cm range, the Nitto 43cm wide bars seem really wiiiide. I do like the profile though. it has a bit of a back sweep on the tops which makes that position quite comfortable.

I don't find the early Cyclone front derailleurs very handsome:

I much prefer the early Superbe with the rounded cage edges:

I assume either one would shift the 36-52 chainrings on the SR Apex crank. The NR derailleur currently attached seems happy with the jump.

I don't see early Cyclone brake calipers on Velobase, so maybe a long(er) reach Superbe will fit there as well. (The Campy calipers and Dura-Ace levers are workable, so I don't need to replace them immediately.) The wheels seem stout (early Dura-Ace hubs laced to V-O rims, currently shod with 32mm Gravel KIngs. I think I can squeeze 35mm tires in there, though there might not be room for fenders. I will prolly consult with gugie on that topic at some point. Hmmm... Maybe I'll change my mind and go with tubulars... At any rate, the current wheels are fine for now.
Old 06-22-20, 03:02 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
It looks great as-is, and all the mods you've mentioned won't change that. Great color too.

Not to get off topic, but what rings are you using on those SR cranks? I've often thought of grabbing a set of those, so I could run a mid compact 52/36.

BTW, I have a SunTour Superbe f/d. It's missing a bit of chrome on the back of the inside blade, but the rest doesn't look bad. I'm happy to pass it along if your interested.

Last edited by velomateo; 06-22-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 03:34 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo
It looks great as-is, and all the mods you've mentioned won't change that. Great color too.
Except for the fact that a NR rear derailleur isn't really going to handle the eventually wider range very well. I envision this bike as a replacement for my Volare and Super Sport. The NR derailleur and crank used to be on my RRB with a Bob Freeman (later SOMA) long cage, but it didn't shift very well. I anticipate a Cyclone GT will be a better option. (I have one on the Super Sport.)

Originally Posted by velomateo
Not to get off topic, but what rings are using on those SR cranks? I've often thought of grabbing a set of those, so I could run a mid compact 52/36.
I've had that crank (86BCD) for quite awhile. The rings are unbranded 52/36. I'm guessing they might be SR, but I've no way to confirm that suspicion. I also have spare 50T and 52T rings in my parts bin.