Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 11:14 PM
z_hammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Route help in the Grapevine, Southlake area

I am going to be in the Grapevine/Southlake area next week on business and need to get some training miles in. Any suggestion on a routes to get me 30 -50 miles.

Thanks
Old 10-03-08, 07:02 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Take a look at

https://www.fwbaclub.org/ride/maps/cactusflower.pdf

From this area take Dove Road west and then choose a distance.
Old 10-06-08, 08:03 AM
tate65
crash survivor

Bikes: C-dale rush, Mountain cycle fury, Monocog 29er, Haro hard tail VX, Scattante R330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop my madduck they have several good routes with maps in the shop, and can tell you about more. A lap around DFW is always a good ride.

https://madducksports.com/

On the east side of town on hwy 26. easy to find and spot
Old 10-09-12, 08:28 AM
Spinjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just moved to the Southlake area and am looking for some rides/routes. I was down in Dallas near White Rock, so I am somewhat familiar with what goes on down there, but up here in Southlake I'm at a loss. Stopped by Mad Duck, but their routes/pace are rather long and fast (I've been off the bike other than a ride here and there for a couple years so my fitness level is very low). I haven't been able to make it by Knobbies and Slicks yet, maybe they have some ideas.

I'm looking for a 20-30 mile route and/or a group that averages about 15-16mph, just to get me back into it (Mad Duck was 45 miles at 18mph).

Looks like there should be tons of great routes around here, but getting plugged back in to the cycling scene has been more challenging that I expected.
Old 10-09-12, 11:41 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife works off of 114 near the Trophy Club exit. You can find places in the neighborhoods to the north of 114 that are fairly hilly. The service roads between Solana and Trophy Club are not TOO heavily traveled. I parked in the parking garage at her place and riden a loop that starts on Trophy Club, across 114 to Indian Creek, it goes down a ways then I turn on Trophy Wood back to the 114 service road, follow the service road to Pipeline, across 114 to the eastbound service road, to Solana, turn back west/south of Solana and take that back to Trophy Club.

It's not a terribly long loop but there are a few short/steep climbs. And, the traffic is pretty mild. Even though you are on traveled streets for a big part of it, the traffic isn't too bad. (Especially if you avoid the morning/evening rush hours)
Old 10-09-12, 12:02 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Here are two routes I've done in Grapevine:

The Mad Duck Coffee shop ride:
https://app.strava.com/activities/1414807

Another of my own invention that takes you across the Grapevine dam. I really like the views there but the two lane road can be a bit dicey. If you attempt it, you should be comfortable riding in close proximity to traffic (and often times impatient traffic).
https://app.strava.com/activities/2684287
Old 10-15-12, 07:53 AM
Spinjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha_bravo
Here are two routes I've done in Grapevine:

The Mad Duck Coffee shop ride:
https://app.strava.com/activities/1414807

Another of my own invention that takes you across the Grapevine dam. I really like the views there but the two lane road can be a bit dicey. If you attempt it, you should be comfortable riding in close proximity to traffic (and often times impatient traffic).
https://app.strava.com/activities/2684287
Perfect.

How is the ride on Davis and Hall-Johnson? Those are heavily travelled high speed limit roads with no shoulder.
Old 10-15-12, 07:58 AM
Spinjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
My wife works off of 114 near the Trophy Club exit. You can find places in the neighborhoods to the north of 114 that are fairly hilly. The service roads between Solana and Trophy Club are not TOO heavily traveled. I parked in the parking garage at her place and riden a loop that starts on Trophy Club, across 114 to Indian Creek, it goes down a ways then I turn on Trophy Wood back to the 114 service road, follow the service road to Pipeline, across 114 to the eastbound service road, to Solana, turn back west/south of Solana and take that back to Trophy Club.

It's not a terribly long loop but there are a few short/steep climbs. And, the traffic is pretty mild. Even though you are on traveled streets for a big part of it, the traffic isn't too bad. (Especially if you avoid the morning/evening rush hours)
Cool thanks. That would make a good extension to the Mad Duck route.
Old 10-15-12, 08:02 AM
Spinjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally made it to Knobbies and Slicks in Colleyville. They have what sounds to be a great ride on Saturday mornings, with a wide range of skill levels and mileages. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll post here after I do.
Old 10-15-12, 02:24 PM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out bike friendly mid-cities on facebook.
Old 10-17-12, 11:09 AM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinjack
Perfect.

How is the ride on Davis and Hall-Johnson? Those are heavily travelled high speed limit roads with no shoulder.
They really aren't an issue. However, the times I've ridden them were with the Mad Duck Group so we were able to take a lane. Hall Johnson is where the Buon Giorno coffee shop is (for which the ride is named). The left turn into the shop is the only dicey proposition. If you bypass that it's no big deal at all. I've got to say that the folks around Grapevine are some of the most patient and courteous drivers I've been around. I don't think I've had a single really negative experience there.

I think the coffee shop ride would be a great one for you to get back into group riding. It's usually at a slower pace especially in the winter. The faster folks tend to break off the front when they want, but there are plenty of regrouping spots and the group has always finished together when I've done the ride.

Last edited by alpha_bravo; 10-17-12 at 11:13 AM.