Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset for a Peugeot CFX-10

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 09:09 PM
Bosmer30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need a headset and i am confused by all the options.All i know is the headset has to be 1 inch threaded with a 27mm crown race,but i am unsure of the stack height and do not want to purchase another headset i cannot use. If you'd be kind enough to link me to headsets that'd work,it would be greatly appreciated,
Old 03-09-21, 08:43 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
You might have a French threaded headset, taken from Sheldon Brown

The threaded parts of a French headset are non-standard, but the press-in parts are conventional. If you have a worn-out headset, it is most likely the lower races that are damaged. If you have trouble finding a French headset, you can replace the bottom races with ones from a standard headset, and keep the old parts on top.French headsets use a different type of keyed washer than others. Instead of having a groove machined in the threads, the rear part of the threads is filed flat. French headsets commonly used a serrated keyed washer, with matching serrations on the threaded bearing race. This makes French headsets slightly harder to adjust, but once they are adjusted, they hold their adjustment better than conventional designs.

I can't remember when Peugeot changed from French to English, I'm sure someone will be along with more info
Old 03-09-21, 12:19 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
In addition to the above post - I believe Peugeot switched over from French to English thread at some point in the late 70s, so depending on the model of your bike, you may be ok with just a standard English thread one.
Likes For speedyspaghetti:
Old 03-09-21, 06:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 3,913 Times in 2,335 Posts
Also there's more to the proper replacement headset then the threading standard, or the frame/fork fits. It's the stack height. A lot of lower cost steel headsets have a fairly minimal stack height. To find stack height measure the "thickness" of the lower and the upper units or the overall fork steerer length minus the head tube length. 33-42mm is the typical range for a threaded unit.

So the needed dimensions are the fit to the fork crown and head tube, the threading and the stack height.

I was going to mention that Peugeot had changed from French dimensionally specd bikes to Eng/Jap in the late 1970s but started with the upper end bikes first. The CFX-10 is not a base grade model so I figured that it was Eng threaded.

I will add that headsets are one component that many don't fully understand all the compatibility aspects, or don't take the time to find these out before buying. This is one area where the LBS can often save time and mistakes. Andy
Old 11-25-23, 01:35 PM
mikestr

Bikes: 1973 Mercier 300, 1974 Peugeot PX10L, 1975 Lejeune Champion du Monde, 1982 Peugeot PX 10 Super Competition, 1984 Motobecane SP, 1987 Peugeot PX10 "Tout Mavic," 1983 Basso Gap

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
This response is a bit late (!) but I can say that even the Peugeot bikes exported to the U.S. as late as 1982 still had French-threaded headsets. I know, as I have a 1982 PX-10 Super Competition sold here in California, and this is what it has. This is the same frame as the CFX10. The steerer also has the usual flat machined on the back, for the lock washer, as standard on French forks for many years. As a point of interest, the steerers on these models were honed to accept standard 22.2mm stems, and assembled bikes had English-threaded rear hubs.

Be aware that the standard headset on the assembled PX-10 was a Lightrace, with less stack height than typical competition headsets like the Stronglight or Canpagnolo SR. It is likely that the CFX frame was delivered with a slightly longer steerer to accommodate a variety of headsets, but someone else will have to confirm this.
Old 11-25-23, 02:25 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
for future reference.. French Versus English Threaded Headsets, and others too...

Scroll down to the dimensions chart, get out your calipers, and start finding the facts before buying.
https://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

Tag words: Peugeot French Headset

Last edited by maddog34; 11-25-23 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-26-23, 12:37 AM
mikestr

Bikes: 1973 Mercier 300, 1974 Peugeot PX10L, 1975 Lejeune Champion du Monde, 1982 Peugeot PX 10 Super Competition, 1984 Motobecane SP, 1987 Peugeot PX10 "Tout Mavic," 1983 Basso Gap

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The crib sheet will also reveal that French headset crown races might have either a 26.5 or 27.0 mm I.D. What it doesn't give is the year a given manufacturer changed their steerer threading. But it's pretty safe to assume that any French bike from the mid-1980s or earlier had a French threaded steerer and headset.