Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Problems getting on & off bike, age 70.5 yrs young!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Problems getting on & off bike, age 70.5 yrs young!

Old 06-04-20, 08:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
It's not any part of the bike that is a problem - it's gradual loss of flexibility. Even leaning my bike over, which I do more than ever, at 75 my leg just won't reliably swing high enough to clear my old rack trunk. I fell a few times getting on or off with the rack trunk on the rack. Faced with a choice between not riding and giving up the rack trunk, I gave up the carrying capacity.
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
^ This.

At least in my case, injuries from decades ago have conspired with older age to seize-up much of the original flexibility and range of motion I once had with the hips. I'm still very flexible, overall, at least with "static" stretching in various planes. But, when the leg's commanded to do it on its own, that particular up-and-over motion of going over the saddle just doesn't work anywhere near as well as it once used to.
Well that is understandable too. It's just that the OP has not said that what you are describing was his issue. So how the thing with dropper posts, top tubes being lower and other things figured in didn't give me any clues to what the issue was.

So that's why I asked and haven't gotten an answer to yet is whether the OP mounted the bike as is normal. Leg swung over rear tire. If instead the OP has done like some much younger do and try to bring their leg over the top tube, then that might be the issue. That to me seems much more awkward than the normal method even with aging involved.

So if the OP has gone leg over top tube for all their life, then working to gain coordination for the other way might be more effective. Might not seem possible the first time. But like the frozen shoulder I had from torn rotator cuff, several weeks of physical therapy has it working like new.
Old 06-04-20, 12:23 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
I’m 68 and have a similar problem. I normally lift my right leg over the TT. In fact I’ve done it that way for so long that I actually looked up on youtube how to get on on/off a bike before I realized. The problem I have also involves balance. I am not confident in my balance to put my left foot on the pedal and swing my right leg high enough to get over the saddle without falling over backward.

I am riding and stretching in hopes of getting back to normal. I bought a Linus bike a while back which I rarely ride as kind of motivation. In the meantime I ride my Biria Easy Boarding 8.

it’s got an 8 speed hub and I do love just hopping on and going without worries. But the Linus is getting lonely. It knows it’s faster.
Old 06-04-20, 06:34 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My wife has this problem. Total loss of flexibility in hip flexors and pelvis. At 59, she can barely swing her leg over the saddle to get on. If she tilts the bike low enough to get her leg over, then she can't step far enough to the side to clear the bottom bracket.

I love the idea of that Biria Easy Boarding thing ^^^ for her.
Old 06-04-20, 08:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You might consider a LWB bent or a trike.
I don't know. A tadpole trike might be trading one mounting / dismounting problem for another. I was going to sit on a VTX in a bike shop in Iowa but I was afraid that if I sat down on it (ungracefully) I might not be able to get back up without help.
Old 06-05-20, 08:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
This for dismounting as I approach 72. I broke my hip a few years back and I can no longer do my standard cowboy starts and dismounts when I have the pack on my back rack. I can still eke them out without the pack. Getting off is the worst part. Usually, I can just tilt the bike toward me and swing my bent leg over the back. But when my hip cramps up I too drop the bike sideways to the ground and then step off. So far I can still mount the bike (even with the pack) by lifting the handlebars up over my head (so the bike is upright on the back wheel the way you would walk it through a tight area) and then swing it back down between my legs so the seat swings up behind my butt. It sounds goofy but actually looks elegant.
I tried that latter, thinking what a wonderful idea, but doesn't work for short people. No way will the saddle go between my legs. I didn't get the "handlebars up over my head" part, either. Even short me, my handlebars come to the base of my neck. Over my head, the saddle is at my belt buckle.
Old 06-06-20, 05:20 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I tried that latter, thinking what a wonderful idea, but doesn't work for short people. No way will the saddle go between my legs. I didn't get the "handlebars up over my head" part, either. Even short me, my handlebars come to the base of my neck. Over my head, the saddle is at my belt buckle.
Yeah, as soon as I thought about it I realized it would be quite a bike for the handlebars to go that high. . The wheel goes up to the top of my head. I'm 6 feet tall and I can just clear the seat with this method. The seat doesn't swing thru with both feet flat on the ground, I go up on my left toes and sort of step over with my right leg as I roll the bike back tilted a little toward me. It sounds weird but flows smoothly. The nice factor for me is that I ride with a trunk pack at seat height which interferes with swinging my leg over. My oddball mount gets around the problem. For now.

Last edited by donheff; 06-06-20 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 01:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When My hip was painful , I' lay the bike on the ground step over it and lift it up underneath me..

Cyclocross mount is run along side throw a leg up and jump on , those were the Halcyon days..
Old 06-07-20, 08:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
71 In 1980, I started throwing my right leg over the handlebars. Why? We started riding tandems and by throwing ones leg over the handlebars, one never kicks the stoker in the face. While I hold the tandem securely, she mounts in a conventional way and clips in. And the handlebars on all my bikes are lower than the seat so it is actually quite easy to do. I could mount the conventional way, but I think the leg over the bars is quite stylish.
Old 06-07-20, 08:47 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
When my dad broke his hip, we got him a step through Breezer. It is a pretty sweet bike. It has a very sporty feel. During a visit last year, I rode it on some not-to-technical single track and kept up with my brother who rode his hard tail.
Old 06-07-20, 08:52 AM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Whenever I feel stiff after a ride that most natural, easiest way to dismount is:
while still on the saddle and and my left foot on the ground just push the bike forward and slide backwards from the saddle.
Old 06-07-20, 09:09 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
This may seem strange advice since you already are riding a lot and probably pretty fit..........

But, cycling doesn't really help with your stabilizing muscles in your hip and lower back, and does almost nothing for flexibility. I think if you spent some time lifting weights, including strengthening your core (back, abs, hip stabilizers), and your legs, you would find that swing over the seat becomes easier over time. At my age (52) it takes work to offset the effects of not being 30 anymore. At 72 it would take more work.

Start at home if you want, with body-weight squats. Pay close attention to keeping your heels flat, and to maintaining correct posture and form. After you're able to recover from 3 sets of 20, start using a bar at a gym. After that move up to weakling weights (I'm joking because that's how I had to start). 3 or 4 sets of 10 with the bar or with weights. Expect that you won't be able to do a leg day more often than once every five or six days. Don't neglect back day either.
Old 06-09-20, 11:57 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Iride01 did not read my original post?

I can understand that I may have caused some confusion by posting pictures of MTB and posting confusing information.....

Yes, my foot hits the seat getting on & off bike. Not a real issue until I am tired after a long ride. Maybe the “hitch in my get along comment” threw a bolt into the works? Just a more descriptive way of explaining that older back/legs may cramp after a long ride. The seats on gravel bikes are typically a little further back than on road or Cyclocross bikes, especially those built for racing. My Focus bike was built for racing, which I thought I might get interested in when I bought it. I might have done a little more research. I may have found that races for my age group are limited.......

Quote from original post.......
“I have issues getting on & off my bike. My bike is a Focus Mares, CX, Cyclocross bike.

I have taken a few spills, as a result. Frequently when I am tired and just try to toss my foot over the seat. Yes, the seat seems to block my foots path. When I bought the bike. Focus did not make a medium frame, only small & large. The bike I bought is still closer to medium size than small.

My back may have “a few hitches in it’s get along!“ I just switched back to drop bars as a few “older“ people seem to think drop bars might actually help with back issues. I had been using to a riser bar. I was hoping more hand positions might help too. I do use a 110mm, 17 degree, extension tube, which I turned up vs down when I switched to the drops.

I am curious about Gravel bikes, many seem to have frames that follow MTB geometry more than road bikes. They may have lower top tubes. They also seem to have a more elongated frame. Might this help my issues getting on & off bike?

I ride paved/gravel roads. I live in a mountain community, with gravel on the pavement, which can be sandy/ pile up in areas. I also ride a real gravel road frequently. Lots of tight turns up & down Hills....”

Last edited by McMitchell; 06-09-20 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-09-20, 12:38 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rowerek
Whenever I feel stiff after a ride that most natural, easiest way to dismount is:
while still on the saddle and and my left foot on the ground just push the bike forward and slide backwards from the saddle.
This might work! May have to reduce the tilt in my seat so I can slide off backwards.
Old 06-09-20, 12:42 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daoswald
This may seem strange advice since you already are riding a lot and probably pretty fit..........

But, cycling doesn't really help with your stabilizing muscles in your hip and lower back, and does almost nothing for flexibility. I think if you spent some time lifting weights, including strengthening your core (back, abs, hip stabilizers), and your legs, you would find that swing over the seat becomes easier over time. At my age (52) it takes work to offset the effects of not being 30 anymore. At 72 it would take more work.

Start at home if you want, with body-weight squats. Pay close attention to keeping your heels flat, and to maintaining correct posture and form. After you're able to recover from 3 sets of 20, start using a bar at a gym. After that move up to weakling weights (I'm joking because that's how I had to start). 3 or 4 sets of 10 with the bar or with weights. Expect that you won't be able to do a leg day more often than once every five or six days. Don't neglect back day either.
Right again!
I was lifting weights, working my core, bending & stretching... Tai chi, Yoga....not so much recently!

Last edited by McMitchell; 06-09-20 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-09-20, 12:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I read your original post. It doesn't give me any idea as to how you actually mount and dismount your bike. Do you swing your leg over the back tire to get on/off or do you do something else?

You might think this answers my question
Frequently when I am tired and just try to toss my foot over the seat.
But it really doesn't. Do you really somehow have your foot traveling over the seat as you mount and dismount?

If so, then don't try and toss your foot over the seat. As I contend, swinging your leg and foot over the back tire and then getting your butt on the seat is the most common method to mount a bike. Even taking your leg over the top tube will be easier than having your foot go over the seat. Neither of those two ways involve tossing a foot over the seat.

However I guess you don't like to enlighten those of us that don't understand.
Old 06-09-20, 07:56 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
”Frequently when I am tired and just try to toss my foot over the seat. Yes, the seat seems to block my foots path. “ You missed a sentence!
Old 06-10-20, 08:04 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I need to see some video of you getting on and off your bike. I think I would have trouble lifting my foot over the seat. If a rear rack is in the way, and that is why you are trying to lift your foot over the seat, loose the rack.
Old 06-10-20, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I still don't understand why the lowest part of your body is going over what for me is the highest part of a bike. My foot never goes over the seat.

Although I haven't watched a video of myself mounting or dismounting my bike, I don't think my foot ever gets as high as the seat. Only my thigh has to do that to get my butt in and out of the seat.
Old 06-10-20, 09:23 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Which is exactly my I searched around Utube to find the motions that actually happen getting on and off a bike. If it is convenient please get a vid of you getting on and off. If not then no big deal But I think you will be helping out some people. Thanks.
Old 06-12-20, 02:27 PM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I still don't understand why the lowest part of your body is going over what for me is the highest part of a bike. My foot never goes over the seat.

Although I haven't watched a video of myself mounting or dismounting my bike, I don't think my foot ever gets as high as the seat. Only my thigh has to do that to get my butt in and out of the seat.
I'm confused as well. I have never seen anyone bring their foot over the seat...maybe Chuck Norris.
Old 06-17-20, 12:17 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Interesting discussion, since this is where my wife and I live at the moment. We are both in our nearly mid 60s, back to biking after a couple of decades not. We're both fit, by the way, and my wife is even slender.

My wife was having trouble mounting and dismounting; she has back, shoulder and hip issues, so she can't do the leg-over-the-seat mount, and while tilting works for the moment, it's clearly not going to for very long because of her back and shoulder. What was recommended to us by well-meaning but not clear-thinking people was gravel bikes, MTBs, hybrids, comfort-bikes and "lower bar" bikes. But the problem is that ALL of these bikes have tubes high enough that if you have limited hip mobility, you can't lift your knees up high enough to clear the seat. The SEAT height is the primary problem, not the tube height. But if the seat height is a given--which it is on all these kinds of bikes--then the next issue is tube height. And any height is too much.

So our solution was a low-entry or step-through frame. There are two we looked at: the Trek Verve Low Entry and the Specialized Roll Low Entry. (This is not an advertisement!) We bought the Trek, but it could have gone the other way. We're going out for our first ride this evening at Stone Mountain Park. If you see a beautiful young lady on a new black low-entry bike, riding next to a bear, that's us.

As for me, I'm still riding my Fuji hybrid. I can easily get my leg over the seat. At least as far as my wife knows. Since I mostly ride alone, I am Superman. As long as nobody's watching me, that is, and excepting a few face-plants. I know a step-over of some kind is in my very near future.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 06-17-20, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I actually saw a step through road bike the other day at a shop, or possibly it was a straight handle bar. But it looked very modern and stylish and had a good complement of gears for this areas terrain. And the other day I even saw a man riding a step through and the only thought I had was good for him, if that is what he needs to ride then go for it and don't be ashamed. I wondered if it was the same type as what I saw in the shop. It was a different color so I know it wasn't the same bike.
Old 06-17-20, 01:08 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I actually saw a step through road bike the other day at a shop, or possibly it was a straight handle bar. But it looked very modern and stylish and had a good complement of gears for this areas terrain. And the other day I even saw a man riding a step through and the only thought I had was good for him, if that is what he needs to ride then go for it and don't be ashamed. I wondered if it was the same type as what I saw in the shop. It was a different color so I know it wasn't the same bike.
On VBT bike tours several me rode Fuji step through flat bar hybrids. The manufacturers have started calling them "mixte'" probably to help sensitive males get over their insecurities.
Old 06-17-20, 03:16 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
I have issues getting on & off my bike...
I’m 72, and understand the challenge. I usually can get over the seat mounting or dis. But if I have my trunk bag on the rear rack, it takes concentration. I generally tilt the bike about 25 or 30 degrees and it’s ok. The bikes the right height, it’s my “flexibility” that’s being challenged.

I saw an older fellow put his left foot on the pedal skipped a few steps and swung over while in motion. Boy was I envious. I did use to do that when I was 15. Though I’ll try, I’m a bit scared about it. I don’t think I’ll fall on may face or crush my crotch, but...
Old 06-18-20, 08:40 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the wife take a 9 second video of me getting on my bike. Unfortunately,I can not seem to get it to post! Apparently a format that want post...maybe a link?

My seat blocks the path my leg tries to travel over the top bar. The seat is 7-8” above the top bar, with a forward tilt, which prevents me from sliding off the back of the seat. Not saying I can’t do it. Just hard to do at the end of a ride. I do lean the bike over. Guess I could take Carbonfiberboy’s suggestion, lay the bike on the ground, step over it.

Last edited by McMitchell; 06-18-20 at 08:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.