Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!! Bolt died mid ride

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-09-20, 07:06 PM
oldroadie48

Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL with Super Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My ELEMNT Bolt died mid ride. Can I get the data back from it or phone or somewhere else? Thanks
Old 06-10-20, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Only if something else recorded it. Or, the Bolt has the portion of the ride it did record.
Old 06-10-20, 12:24 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
There should be a ride recovery pocess when you restart it
Old 06-10-20, 11:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If your smartphone has enabled Google Maps Timeline tracking, it'll record pretty much everything. It's even pretty accurate at distinguishing between traveling by car, city bus, bicycle or walking. It's set to private by default, so nobody knows but you,
Google... the NSA... Russian and Chinese hackers... that kid down the block...

Anyway, if a ride is important enough -- a birthday ride-my-age thing, century, event ride, etc. -- you can recover it from Google Maps Timeline. Download the file, convert it to whatever file format you need (Strava, etc.), and manually upload to Strava, etc.

I've done that maybe once or twice a year when my GPS glitches. Google is generally more reliable than any other device or app I've used. But it's inconvenient because they don't use the same file format as Strava.

BTW, you can also delete those logs from Timeline. But only Google knows whether it's really deleted or they retain a copy in their dungeon... along with NSA... China... Russia... that kid....
Old 06-20-20, 05:20 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Start the unit and connect it to your computer. Browse to the exports folder and look for the .fit file for your ride. If it’s there you might be able to do something with it like manually imports it to strava. If it is corrupt, there are tools on the web for managing fit files that might help you recover.
Old 06-27-20, 03:08 PM
jaws7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how to recover your data, but for future problems you can sign up for a free Ride with GPS account. Then you can set your ELEMNT Bolt to automatically download each ride to Ride with GPS. Now you will have 2 separate records of your rides.
Old 06-29-20, 10:53 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Only if something else recorded it. Or, the Bolt has the portion of the ride it did record.
This is why I have switched all my bikes over to the Garmin Speed Sensor 2. It records time, speed and distance so if something happens to the bike computer, you can get this all out via Garmin connect. Pretty cool product. This essentially gives you a ride recorded on two devices simultaneously. It's saved my day for me a couple of times.

Originally Posted by Elvo
There should be a ride recovery pocess when you restart it
Only up to the point where it crashed.

Originally Posted by canklecat
If your smartphone has enabled Google Maps Timeline tracking, it'll record pretty much everything. It's even pretty accurate at distinguishing between traveling by car, city bus, bicycle or walking. It's set to private by default, so nobody knows but you,
Google... the NSA... Russian and Chinese hackers... that kid down the block...
But you'd be nuts to do this and give Google all that data about where you've been and what you're doing. "Private" pretty much is meaningless to Google.

Originally Posted by jaws7
I'm not sure how to recover your data, but for future problems you can sign up for a free Ride with GPS account. Then you can set your ELEMNT Bolt to automatically download each ride to Ride with GPS. Now you will have 2 separate records of your rides.
Same is true for Strava and a number of other accounts. you can also use the Tapiirik sync service to make sure that your ride data is synced to a whole long list of services. Wahoo also will sync to multiple services - 19 by my count including Dropbox.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-29-20, 11:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
So you trust Garmin with your information and blindly let Garmin's phone app send your data to their cloud, but Google is a no-no?
Old 06-29-20, 01:11 PM
JohnJ80

So you trust Garmin with your information and blindly let Garmin's phone app send your data to their cloud, but Google is a no-no?
Actually, no.

My Garmin connect login is a anonymized email address and ties back to nothing else. Besides that, read the terms from Garmin and Google and you'll find some stark differences.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-29-20, 01:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Which of the two would you trust more with all the assorted data they grab from you ?. Garmin tracks your fitness activities. Google tries to track everything you do. I would trust Garmin somewhat more than Google.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-29-20 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-01-20, 06:01 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
This is why I have switched all my bikes over to the Garmin Speed Sensor 2. It records time, speed and distance so if something happens to the bike computer, you can get this all out via Garmin connect. Pretty cool product. This essentially gives you a ride recorded on two devices simultaneously. It's saved my day for me a couple of times.
I wasn't aware of the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 so thanks for the heads-up. I do like the idea of the built-in redundancy.
Old 07-01-20, 10:41 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Aushiker
I wasn't aware of the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 so thanks for the heads-up. I do like the idea of the built-in redundancy.
Glad to help. Hope you like it.

It’s a pretty cool little product at no real price premium for a speed sensor.
Likes For JohnJ80: