Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 11:20 PM
Banxwondar

Bikes: Felt VR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
IMHO, it is not a bad idea. Like many others have said, if it genuinely makes you happy when you are riding it, and if you can comfortably afford it, then why not?

My first road bike was back in 2009, a Cervelo s1. I was fresh out of college and into my career. Saved a couple of my first paychecks for it. Ended up selling it 1 year and only 500 miles later because I needed the money for an engagement ring. I could not afford this $2600 bike at the time, but forced it.

Fast forward to present day. Purchased a second hand Felt VR3 in like new condition for 2k. I did 500 miles in 2 months. 12 years into my career, and happily married.

Bottom line, if it is something you are passionate about, the right situation will present itself with patience, and if you feel that time is now, go for it, you won’t regret it .
Old 08-17-20, 11:27 PM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
jjankie, "Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014" . There's got to be some story there. Hope it wasn't a 2.5 to 3K one like the OP was asking about.
Old 08-18-20, 08:27 AM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Cheaper than therapy and a second girlfriend, better than a gym membership. Price on miles per smiles? Most here might have 5-10 + bikes. I have 9, just getting by.
Truer words were never spoken... I have five bikes, and I ride them all. Each time I get on a bike I have not ridden for awhile, it is a real treat.
Old 08-18-20, 08:31 AM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you have the money, remember the old saying that "there are no pockets in a shroud", in other words, you can't take it with you. A nice bike, used frequently, is a never-ending source of pleasure. Buy what you can afford and don't look back.
Old 08-18-20, 08:37 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
I am far from rich, but I buy bike stuff w/o much thought. It's the one area of my life where I allow myself to go full ******. I drive a 2009 xB, and my TV is 24 inches wide, I got my couch at an estate sale for 100 dollars. But, I have Onyx hubs!

PS - since when is douch3 a curse word?
Old 08-18-20, 08:37 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You're talking to yourself.
Yeah but that is the internet in a nutshell!
Old 08-18-20, 08:48 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
I have a $2000 bike ($2500 in today's money) but I didn't buy it that way. Instead I got a medium expensive new bike with "good bones" and starting upgrading it with components that made it suit me better. High tech parts abound these days, some with unique (and desirable) features. This new stuff can be expensive but if you do the installation yourself you still get good overall value, in my opinion. If you have to have a LBS do the install, it is more costly but that way you do avoid the "oops, gotta do it over" issues. So my advice is buy a quality bike (do the best you can to decide what will suit you) but you might want to modify it so save a little for upgrades.

The Old Peddler
Old 08-18-20, 10:32 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jjankie
YOU have NINE? Unreal.
Not all fancy ones. 4 are Surlys', Farley fat, 2013 Specalized full sus. Roadside find Nishiki lugged steel, sweet all arounder. Won a Burly runabout from Dirt Rag( RIP) ,$1100 sweet rig that got me into touring.
Old 08-18-20, 12:53 PM
trailrnr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy whichever bike makes you happy and want to ride. I smile every time I ride my 13 year old Madone. I consider it an investment in my health, longevity and happiness! However, I also smile internally when I ride one of my other bikes too!
Likes For trailrnr:
Old 08-23-20, 07:49 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I ride with a guy who typically rides a $500 mountain bike on group rides in the city.
About a week ago he told me that he wanted something faster to ride with a couple
of guys that he rides with on the weekend. This week he went out and purchased
a Trek roadbike for $3600. Was I surprised ??? Its apparently what he went into
the bike shop and decided that he wanted. What the heck, if you want it and can
afford it, go for it. It doesn't make much sense to sit on the cash and deny yourself
something that you really want.
Old 08-24-20, 08:04 AM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
As others have said, I'm probably only talking to the crowd here. I fit into the OP's category back in 2013. At the time, I was a longtime runner whose left knee was just too sore and too crunchy too much of the time. Having ridden a lot of miles over the years on mid-90s mountain bike, I decided that a road bike would be my path to newfound fitness glory.

With my wife's encouragement, I started looking at bikes, with $1K being my price point. Having no knowledge of the used market or the evolutionary changes in bikes the previous 20 years, I saw that what I was expecting to get for $1K didn't mirror reality. Threshold went up to $1500.

After trying out aluminum framed bikes and carbon fiber, I quickly noticed that the CD bikes greatly reduced vibration from less-than-optimal asphalt. Threshold went up to $2K.

Not that I could tell a difference at all, but I decided that I wanted at least 105-level components. Increase threshold. Please understand that I was at the mercy of the MSRP pricing at the 6-7 bike shops I visited.

Finally, I found a new 2012 model of the Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival at a bike shop that was priced about $3-400 less than the 2013 model. I bought it, added 105 clipless pedals, shoes, and the other vital sundries. Total cost $2600 out the door.

Started riding, till sciatic nerve issues in my left leg made it too uncomfortable. I bought a new saddle and adjusted the seat post height some. Still had it.

We moved across country, and our new location put me at commuting too long everyday, with little energy left to exercise. "Hmmm, I think I'll drive through Dunkin and get a coffee for the commute."

Then, "Hmmm, I think I'll add a donut to my order."

Then, "Hmmm, Make it two donuts!"

Fast forward to 2020 and to 20 additional pounds. Time to take that bike down that's been hanging from the garage ceiling for five years. About three weeks ago, I got it down, made some more seat height adjustments, and began riding again. I'm doing 10-milers fast enough to keep my heart pumping hard and my legs burning, so I'll get back in shape eventually.

I don't know that this bike is the perfect fit. In fact I'm thinking not. But it's worth now a fraction of what I paid for it, it's in brand new condition, and it is helping me get back in shape. I love how soft the ride is and how light the bike is.

In retrospect, I would have done just as well or better if I could have taken some of the advice given here (like the guy who said buy aluminum with 105s, or the one who said to pay for a bike fitting). I would have gained just as much without spending as much. Heck, after overhauling my old mountain bike and my kids' cheap bikes, I'm thinking I'd get just as much enjoyment out of a nice steel road bike with decent components.
Old 08-25-20, 03:32 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabespeedy
Looking to pick up my first road bike. I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership and want something that's actually fast, which would make longer rides way more enjoyable. I'm also interested in Zwifting during the winter. I've biked for a long while but have always rented/owned cheap bikes and would like to make an investment. I would like something that isn't 50lbs and that I can actually ride on the road fast enough.... looking at a sick Diverge Comp which would be great for the rough tracks.

Am I crazy to want to buy a nicer bike with a budget of $2.5-3k as my first real bike? Should I start with something cheaper and work my way up? I feel like I know what I want out of a road bike and have had the opportunity to test different brands and frame sizes. I would be buying used locally and would try the bike out before purchase. My thoughts are that if I get a nicer bike initially I would save money down the road by not needing to upgrade, but is a $3000 bike built that much better than a $1500 bike?

This purchase would be just for fun, not commuting regularly. Worth investing in for savings down the line or should I initially go for less?
Late to the party here and you have probably have already got a bike.

Whether you have or not, you're not even close, just getting started, if you already have the first one, get to it on the next one.
Old 08-26-20, 11:19 AM
KenRick

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Compare cycling to all your hobbies to determine how much time you would spend on it vs others. Are there other things which are in greater need of upgrade? PC for example. Then you can adjust and spend maybe 1.5k vs 2.5k, using the residual for other hobbies.

Next would be to research the type of bike you want, listing a few in the same category at different price points. Depending on what type of riding you are doing, most cases you won't notice a different between performance so I'd settle for one where you would would utilize the max potential and one which you appreciate it visually.