Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another dog story

Old 08-14-20, 02:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Another dog story

My usual park trail takes me through a short tunnel under a highway. When I emerged from the tunnel, there was an unleashed beagle running around. It started chasing me so I slowed down. Its owner wasn't too far away and yelled at the dog but it wouldn't listen. Then, I decided instead of stopping to argue with the owner about this park being a leashed area, I proceeded to ride along. I rode just slowly enough to taunt the dog in chasing me but fast enough so that the owner couldn't stop me, slowing down and looking back often enough for the dog to catch up. I must have lead the dog on for about 150 m before it gave up. Too bad, I sort of wanted to lead the dog straight out of the park and tie it to the "dogs-on-leash" sign at the entrance, to teach the owner a lesson. But you know, people don't learn lessons.
Old 08-14-20, 03:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
My usual park trail takes me through a short tunnel under a highway. When I emerged from the tunnel, there was an unleashed beagle running around. It started chasing me so I slowed down. Its owner wasn't too far away and yelled at the dog but it wouldn't listen. Then, I decided instead of stopping to argue with the owner about this park being a leashed area, I proceeded to ride along. I rode just slowly enough to taunt the dog in chasing me but fast enough so that the owner couldn't stop me, slowing down and looking back often enough for the dog to catch up. I must have lead the dog on for about 150 m before it gave up. Too bad, I sort of wanted to lead the dog straight out of the park and tie it to the "dogs-on-leash" sign at the entrance, to teach the owner a lesson. But you know, people don't learn lessons.
While I sympathize with you, and think your end game would be poetic justice, I also agree with you that people don't learn. What's more, the owner probably would view you as a dog-napper, and if they were prone towards violence, armed or both, things would not end well for you.

However, I have to admit, your post made me smile.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-14-20, 03:35 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I would have stopped and petted the beagle but I had a beagle as a kid and am fond of them...might have even shared my sandwich with it if the owner was ok with it
Old 08-15-20, 07:41 AM
Rocko78

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that would have been epic to tie that dog up
Old 08-15-20, 01:14 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
IIRC, beagles were bred to hunt rabbits, but not catch them, because they are slow. I ride past a couple of dogs frequently who seem to have, and observe, an invisible fence at the edge of their property. Outbound, it is a downhill where I pass them, and I am doing about 18mph. They can get up from sleeping in the shade, facing the opposite direction, and be pacing me on their side of the edge of the yard in about 100'
Old 08-15-20, 03:31 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I like people who are too ignorant to realize that the OWNERS/HANDLERS are the problem, not the DOGS. I like them sooooo much. Hint: the dog in the OP didn’t drop its leash from its owner’s hand. Treating the dog poorly is a direct reflection upon the OP. (There’s the problem with posting those kinds of stories on the mean ol’ web.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 08-15-20, 04:45 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
In the interest of keep the dog safe..another option would be to stop, grab the dog, and wait for the owner to take control.

People are dumb..dogs are dogs..I prefer to keep them from getting into trouble.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-15-20, 05:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
In the interest of keep the dog safe..another option would be to stop, grab the dog, and wait for the owner to take control.

People are dumb..dogs are dogs..I prefer to keep them from getting into trouble.
As a verified "dog person," I like this response. I wouldn't necessarily stop and try this with just any dog, but I've rarely met an aggressive Beagle. And I never -- NEVER -- blame a dog when the owner is at fault.

'Course, I had to put one of my dogs down yesterday, so perhaps I am just feeling sympathetic. One of the worst days in a dog lover's life, and my third time to boot.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-15-20, 06:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-15-20, 06:34 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I like people who are too ignorant to realize that the OWNERS/HANDLERS are the problem, not the DOGS. I like them sooooo much. Hint: the dog in the OP didn’t drop its leash from its owner’s hand. Treating the dog poorly is a direct reflection upon the OP. (There’s the problem with posting those kinds of stories on the mean ol’ web.)
Well I guess I'm just a terrible human being. My mother should have aborted me so that this dog owner can unleash it on some other cyclist.

The next time an unleashed dog chases me, I think I'll spray myself with the dog spray.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-15-20, 06:39 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Koyote
As a verified "dog person," I like this response. I wouldn't necessarily stop and try this with just any dog, but I've rarely met an aggressive Beagle. And I never -- NEVER -- blame a dog when the owner is at fault.....
As a verified dog person, if you keep your dog on a leash in dog-on-leash areas, your dog may not experience these situations.

Or are we getting into the stop-on-stop sign kind of discussions.
Old 08-15-20, 06:41 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Drama..and the ignore list comes in handy yet again..
Old 08-15-20, 07:13 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Daniel4
As a verified dog person, if you keep your dog on a leash in dog-on-leash areas, your dog may not experience these situations.

Or are we getting into the stop-on-stop sign kind of discussions.
Thanks for the advice, but it’s unnecessary. I always do leash my dogs when they are outside of my fenced property.

I’m merely suggesting that you should not willfully “taunt” (your description of your behavior) a dog when the owner is actually at fault. If you get your jollies out of taunting a dog, well, that’s sad.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-16-20, 06:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Sounds like good fun to me. The dog probably enjoyed the chase and the dumbass owner had to walk a bit to retrieve it.
Old 08-16-20, 06:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but it’s unnecessary. I always do leash my dogs when they are outside of my fenced property.

I’m merely suggesting that you should not willfully “taunt” (your description of your behavior) a dog when the owner is actually at fault. If you get your jollies out of taunting a dog, well, that’s sad.
The dog probably had FUN. 150m isn’t far.

Lighten up with the self righteous. Keeping his distance from an owner was probably a good move in today’s victim blame rage culture.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-16-20, 07:00 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sounds like good fun to me. The dog probably enjoyed the chase and the dumbass owner had to walk a bit to retrieve it.
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The dog probably had FUN. 150m isn’t far.

Lighten up with the self righteous. Keeping his distance from an owner was probably a good move in today’s victim blame rage culture.
I disagree. Willfully enticing the dog away from its owner raises the odds that the dog runs away, tangles with another dog, gets hit by a vehicle, anything. If the OP is too timid to talk to the dog’s owner, that does not justify taking it out on the dog.
Old 08-25-20, 01:55 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I am a dog person, and I am a beagle owner, so I'm not sympathetic to the OP. But on the other hand, I agree that the owner needed to be tied up, not the poor dog. It was just doing what it was bred to do. However, that's all beside the point I wanted to make.

I wanted to say: DO NOT REACH DOWN AND ATTEMPT TO HOLD THE DOG. You'll get bit. And then the dog might get put down.
Old 08-25-20, 02:26 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
As a verified "dog person," I like this response. I wouldn't necessarily stop and try this with just any dog, but I've rarely met an aggressive Beagle. And I never -- NEVER -- blame a dog when the owner is at fault.

'Course, I had to put one of my dogs down yesterday, so perhaps I am just feeling sympathetic. One of the worst days in a dog lover's life, and my third time to boot.
I know it's tough my friend. Sorry for your loss.

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 08-25-20, 02:34 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Koyote: I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a dog is so incredibly painful. I still mourn my best buddy, Seamus, an Airedale, who died about 5 years ago. Most people don't understand how heart-to-heart this relationship is. My thoughts are with you, even though I don't know you or your dog. There's something transcendant and eternal about that relationship.

Riffing on your alias: we have coyotes in our neighborhood in town in Atlanta. They don't do the normal coyote howls. It's more this weird, warbling call that you'd associate with hyenas or jackals. Scary as hell, though I love canids of any stripe. They run the green space that runs right behind our back fence. When my dogs (Beagle and Gold Doodle) hear it, they look away like, "Nope. Nuh uh. I didn't hear nothin'." If they could put their fingers in their ears they would. It's hilarious.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 08-25-20, 07:03 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by GAtkins
I know it's tough my friend. Sorry for your loss.

Glenn
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Koyote: I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a dog is so incredibly painful. I still mourn my best buddy, Seamus, an Airedale, who died about 5 years ago. Most people don't understand how heart-to-heart this relationship is. My thoughts are with you, even though I don't know you or your dog. There's something transcendant and eternal about that relationship.

Riffing on your alias: we have coyotes in our neighborhood in town in Atlanta. They don't do the normal coyote howls. It's more this weird, warbling call that you'd associate with hyenas or jackals. Scary as hell, though I love canids of any stripe. They run the green space that runs right behind our back fence. When my dogs (Beagle and Gold Doodle) hear it, they look away like, "Nope. Nuh uh. I didn't hear nothin'." If they could put their fingers in their ears they would. It's hilarious.
I thank you both for your kind words. I do appreciate it.

I try to keep that sort of personal stuff out of these things, but it was pretty fresh.
Old 08-25-20, 07:10 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I thank you both for your kind words. I do appreciate it.

I try to keep that sort of personal stuff out of these things, but it was pretty fresh.
Dogs are family....all in....

Glenn
Old 08-25-20, 09:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Can we hear the Rottweiler version of this story?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-25-20, 11:38 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I eat beagles and poop Great Danes.
Old 08-25-20, 11:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I was ushering a friend through his first brevet years ago, and this friendly country dog decided to follow us. For miles. I didn't know which farmhouse he came from. First we tried sprinting away, but my buddy didn't have it in his legs. I tried yelling Go Home, No, Stay, Sit. No luck. Then I tried slowing down and let my buddy get some distance ahead, then sprinting away. No dice, the dog went with the bud. We were coming up on a highway crossing, and I was afraid the silly thing would get hit. Finally I stopped, risked getting bit by grabbing the dog's collar, and having my buddy ride away. While I'm there alongside the road, a car comes along and an irate person jumps out and wants to know what I'm doing with his dog.

Frickin' people.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-26-20, 04:28 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts

Sorry for your loss. They break our hearts when they go, but it's a heartbreak that I'm willing to endure in exchange for what they give.
Likes For ririder:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.