Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Top Tube mount options for Stoker bars

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 08:59 AM
TrikeGeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I recently purchased a used Burley Paso Doble in excellent condition. It's a steel frame with drop bars and we've already discovered the learning curve involved with "tandem-ing," but we're getting the hang of it.

The standover height for me is great (captain's position), but I'd like to drop the front seat a bit more. This is impossible with the Stoker bars connected to the seatpost.

Can anyone suggest a solution (i.e. option for mounting stoker bars to the top tube, or a Stoker "stem" for the seatpost that is not quite as "tall"? I know mounting to the top tube can be an issue with aluminum frames, but I'm more confident doing it with a steel frame like this one.

I wanted to include a photo, but can't since I haven't posted at least 10 times.

Thank you!
Old 09-03-20, 10:32 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikeGeek
Can anyone suggest a solution (i.e. option for mounting stoker bars to the top tube, or a Stoker "stem" for the seatpost that is not quite as "tall"? I know mounting to the top tube can be an issue with aluminum frames, but I'm more confident doing it with a steel frame like this one.
I cannot imagine mounting the Stoker bars directly to the top tube. That would shorten an already short Stoker compartment. How does your Stoker feel about this? How tall is your Stoker in the first place? Are you saying that even with the Stoker stem slammed that your seat is still too high? You would only gain another 1.5" with the stem removed. I don't think that is what you are saying. If you are saying what I think you are saying then what you want is a Stoker stem that is taller than what is there now vs one that is "not quite as tall". Tandem East probably has Stoker stems that allow you to drop the Captains seat a few inches but will allow the Stoker bars to remain at a comfortable height for the Stoker. Is it possible that this bike is just too big for both of you at the end of the day? A great price is no bargain if the bike doesn't fit. If you are needing to run the seat down this much I am wondering if the reach forward for the bars isn't a literal pain in the neck.
Old 09-03-20, 10:48 AM
TrikeGeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I cannot imagine mounting the Stoker bars directly to the top tube. That would shorten an already short Stoker compartment. How does your Stoker feel about this? How tall is your Stoker in the first place? Are you saying that even with the Stoker stem slammed that your seat is still too high? You would only gain another 1.5" with the stem removed. I don't think that is what you are saying. If you are saying what I think you are saying then what you want is a Stoker stem that is taller than what is there now vs one that is "not quite as tall". Tandem East probably has Stoker stems that allow you to drop the Captains seat a few inches but will allow the Stoker bars to remain at a comfortable height for the Stoker. Is it possible that this bike is just too big for both of you at the end of the day? A great price is no bargain if the bike doesn't fit. If you are needing to run the seat down this much I am wondering if the reach forward for the bars isn't a literal pain in the neck.
Yes, even with the captain seat pushed down as far as possible I would prefer it to go lower. Honestly, I only really need it to be about 1/2-inch lower for comfort. The reach to the front bars is not uncomfortable and the steering is very stable.

I don't think the bike is too large for us. The standover height for me is equivalent to my road and gravel bikes.

Jim
Old 09-03-20, 01:16 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
A custom-made toptube mounted stem is certainly one option for you. I believe R+E Cycles or Cycles Chinook would make one. Assuming the top tube is round, it should be fairly straightforward.

The lowest stack height stems use 36-40mm of seatpost, but are generally at a much shallower angle than 35 degree stoker stems. You may also gain some stack height with a lower profile sadde and/or lower profile captain seatpost. If you haven't already done it, make sure your eccentric bottom bracket is "up" rather than "down".

I'd recommend going over to the introductions section of bikeforums and welcoming new members. Once you have 10 posts, you can add some pictures to aid this discussion.
Old 09-03-20, 02:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
This may be one time where shorter cranks, or crank shorteners are a viable solution. A custom stem will cost more than the tandem did.
Old 09-03-20, 03:37 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Unless you have some very unusual dimensions, if your correct saddle height doesn’t expose an inch and a half of seatpost, the bike in all likelihood is too big for you.

you bought it used. You can likely sell it for close what you paid for it, and find a bike that fits you.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 09-09-20, 01:38 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Unless you have some very unusual dimensions, if your correct saddle height doesn’t expose an inch and a half of seatpost, the bike in all likelihood is too big for you.

you bought it used. You can likely sell it for close what you paid for it, and find a bike that fits you.
I agree with this; however, what makes me pause is the OP says he can comfortably stand over the top tube. It’s kind of hard for me to reconcile that with the desire to slam the saddle, unless there are other extraordinary fit issues. Pics would help.