Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Q factor / pedal spacing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Q factor / pedal spacing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 07:15 AM
jim p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q factor / pedal spacing

I noticed that my right pedal is 1 cm further from the center of the frame than my left pedal.

Should I just keep riding or do I need to come up with a fix?

What method would you use to fix this?
Old 09-21-20, 01:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Drive side offset is typically larger than non-drive side offset to accommodate the chainring(s). Is it causing a problem? If not, ride on. If so, there are pedal extenders you can use to move the non-drive side pedal further out to match the drive side offset.
Old 09-21-20, 01:49 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I noticed that my right pedal is 1 cm further from the center of the frame than my left pedal.

The lack of drivetrain stuff on the non-drive side means that the crank arm is able to sit closer, doing this is a way to reduce q-factor. If it's not bothering you, it's not something that needs to be "fixed."
Old 09-21-20, 01:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
My knees prefer as low a Q as possible. I seek out bottom brackets that place the left crank close to the chainstay. With a triple, this is quite asymmetrical. My body doesn't even notice.

Shimano BBs are typically symmetrical or very close. I like that they are cheap, very well made and very reliable but I've stopped using them because I have to live with my knees. When I set up a another bike, I install the Shimano, look at the clearances, cxalculate how much shorter a spindle could be and the assymmetry, then seek that out.

Ben
Old 09-21-20, 02:28 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My knees prefer as low a Q as possible. I seek out bottom brackets that place the left crank close to the chainstay. With a triple, this is quite asymmetrical. My body doesn't even notice.

Shimano BBs are typically symmetrical or very close. I like that they are cheap, very well made and very reliable but I've stopped using them because I have to live with my knees. When I set up a another bike, I install the Shimano, look at the clearances, cxalculate how much shorter a spindle could be and the assymmetry, then seek that out.

Ben
If it doesn’t create an issue, just keep riding. I also feel more comfortable with a narrow Q factor. My vintage MTB came with a triple with the usual 170mm or so spacing. So, I’m running some old 170mm SR crank with just a single 42 ring (and SS as it turns out). Anyway, much better with the road cranks and just long enough of a BB to clear the chain stays (and U-brake!) Had to get 122.5 mm BB to clear everything. Ends up with a Q-factor of about 146mm, which is as good as I can do on this MTB frame.

Meanwhile, I’m running my first gen DA cranks on the Schwinn road frame. They were made for low profile JIS taper and came with an asymmetrical 112mm crank axle. Using a standard JIS BB works, but they stand a few mm further out which actually works ok with a 110 BB on this frame. However, I had to throw on 2 mm worth of spacers on the drive side of the BB to get the right spacing and asymmetry and just clear chain stays nicely on both sides. Ends up with a Q-factor of 136mm.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-21-20 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 03:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Nice work!

My low-Q campaign has been taking a breather. So far:

my geared TiCycles, triple 90speed. 143 with old Sugino (probably 5-speed) cranks and 105 Phil Wood BB
fix gear TiCycoles, SUgino 175 - straight track - 132
Mooney, 1/8" chain fix gear with triple, 135 with old road Sugino cranks, Phil BB, chaniline as far inboard as possible.
Trek fix rain/city gear 137 with nothing special road Sugino cranks and track chainline.
Raleigh Competitoin triple 150 with 7-speed Sugino crankset, Shimano (I believe) BB still. (This bike was 165!)

So all my primary bikes are good to excellent. Knees love it!

Ben
Old 09-21-20, 03:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p

So, is there also a significant difference in the amount of clearance of the crank arms from the chain stays?

Otto
Old 09-21-20, 06:03 PM
jim p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is good to know that the spacing is not necessarily a problem.

I will check the chain stay clearance.
Old 09-23-20, 04:31 AM
jim p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chain stay spacing is identical on both sides. So I guess that I noticed a non issue.

Thanks all.