Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

X-Shifter wireless electronic shifting

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 02:11 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

I have been using the X-Shifter system on our 1 X 10 etandem for going on 2 years now and I am extremely satisfied with the performance. If you are wanting to update to wireless electronic shifting and want to keep your 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed rear cassette or even 11 speed and your triple then you might want to check it out. It is simple to install and simple to adjust.

The X-Shifter consists of a servo that connects to the existing front and or rear derailleur along with a push button for the individual servos. I use 1 servo and 1 push button.
Old 09-17-20, 06:01 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I was a Kickstarter supporter but never received a unit. Nice to hear that it works for you. I think I will keep money rather than spend it.
Old 09-18-20, 05:43 AM
DubT

You might want to contact Pete at Sportcrafters he was able to fill my kickstarter order.
Old 09-19-20, 02:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
So we’re going to add a motor to pull the cable on a cable actuated derailleur? Seems to me this adds complexity, cost and weight with little benefit.

It shortens cable runs, so I guess that could make the shifting somewhat more crisp, but I doubt there’s a significant advantage over a well set up cable system with good quality cable housing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-19-20, 05:05 PM
DubT

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So we’re going to add a motor to pull the cable on a cable actuated derailleur? Seems to me this adds complexity, cost and weight with little benefit.

It shortens cable runs, so I guess that could make the shifting somewhat more crisp, but I doubt there’s a significant advantage over a well set up cable system with good quality cable housing.
It is all in the way you look at it. It eliminates brifters, and long cable runs. We all know how shift cables can be a hassle.

The weight is negligible.

It permits wireless shifting without having to convert to 11 speed.

it is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than any other electronic shifting system on the market that I am aware of.

I have used almost every kind of mechanical shifter that has been available for the past 40 years and for my money this is an excellent option.
Old 09-21-20, 07:56 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by DubT
It is all in the way you look at it. It eliminates brifters, and long cable runs. We all know how shift cables can be a hassle.
To me, eliminating brifters is a negative. With X shifters, you've separated the shifter from the brake lever, eliminating the integration that was the whole point. I've only see the setup on a mtb, but I can't imagine a setup on a road bike that 1) looks good, and 2) functions as seemlessly as a brifter.

As for cable runs, once you've installed the cable on a frame intially, I just don't find them to be a hassle.

The weight is negligible.
More than half a pound if you go front and back, To me that's siginficant.

It permits wireless shifting without having to convert to 11 speed.
Ok but you don't get the advantages of a new 11 speed or 12 sped groupset, i.e. closer spacing, better shifting. It also begs the question of why if you have a bike with a group you like, and the cables already installed, is there any need to go wireless, particularly if it won't significantly improve the shifting

it s MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than any other electronic shifting system on the market that I am aware of.
Only if you're retaining the old group. If you include the cost of the groupset, its as expensive. You can buy Ultegra Di2 for around $500 above the cost of mechanical, that you would spend on X Shifters. However if you spend the $500 your locking yourself into an inferior technology, and still have an old groupset.
Why not wait until your mechanical groupset is worn out, and replace it with a modern integrated electric groupset

[
I have used almost every kind of mechanical shifter that has been available for the past 40 years and for my money this is an excellent option.
Again, I fail to see how this offers any performance advantage. It's still cable actuated, just with a motor pulling the cable. Other than gaining some small advantage from a shorter cable run, I just dont see how it will shift better than pulling the cable yourself.

Sram and Shimano's modern electronic groups are designed from the ground up to be electronic, with a lot of thought and research going into how the entire groupset works together. For example the front shifting on Di2 is phenomenal, because of the total system, i..e how the chain rings are ramped and pinned, and computer logic controlling the front derailleuer to over shift, and then trim back, and that also takes account of the position of the rear derailleur.You're not going to get the performance of those systems by slapping a servo motor on an old, worn, cable actuated system.

Just adding the X shifter certainly doesn't give you the advantage of better chain rings optimized for electronic shifting.

And given that the X shifter is sold as 2 different units for front and back shifting, I doubt it takes into account the position of the rear derailleur when shifting the front.

So for $500 bucks and half a pound you get a motor to pull a cable for you, and you can say your system is electronic. I really don't see the need or the benefit.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 09-21-20 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-21-20, 07:22 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Again, I fail to see how this offers any performance advantage. It's still cable actuated, just with a motor pulling the cable. Other than gaining some small advantage from a shorter cable run, I just dont see how it will shift better than pulling the cable yourself.

Sram and Shimano's modern electronic groups are designed from the ground up to be electronic, with a lot of thought and research going into how the entire groupset works together. For example the front shifting on Di2 is phenomenal, because of the total system, i..e how the chain rings are ramped and pinned, and computer logic controlling the front derailleuer to over shift, and then trim back, and that also takes account of the position of the rear derailleur.You're not going to get the performance of those systems by slapping a servo motor on an old, worn, cable actuated system.

Just adding the X shifter certainly doesn't give you the advantage of better chain rings optimized for electronic shifting.

And given that the X shifter is sold as 2 different units for front and back shifting, I doubt it takes into account the position of the rear derailleur when shifting the front.

So for $500 bucks and half a pound you get a motor to pull a cable for you, and you can say your system is electronic. I really don't see the need or the benefit.
I also don't see the value with the X-Shifter. For fast tandem rides, Di2 or eTap provide a safer integration of braking and shifting. The automatic front and rear derailluer trim provides fast and quiet front shifting. Front shifting is a key weakness of a mechanical drivetrain, and X-Shifter doesn't address this drawback. I use Di2 on several road bikes but use mechanical shifting for my mtn bike (with 1x12 drivetrain).
Old 09-22-20, 06:29 AM
DubT

Our Calfee is 9 years old, when I built it 3 X 10 speed was very common. I have 3 X HED 3 rear wheels that I use on the tandem and my Trek Speed concept. I have spare cassettes and spare 10 speed chains. I ma locked in to 10 speed. The 11/28 is perfect for the flatland of Illinois. I wanted wireless shifting and was not willing to convert to 11 speed.

so it was what I WANTED! I choose X-Shifter and it works for ME.

when I installed the mid drive PAS motor I went with a 1 X 10 setup (52 with an 11/28) I also have Magura Hydraulic rim brakes. Mechanical over hydraulic. Simple TRP brake levers activate the brakes.

with X-shifter I eliminated all of the shift cables especially the one that ran between the motor and the frame. I have the phone app that shows me what gear I am in and it even allows me to make shift adjustments on the fly if required.

for ME X-Shifter offered many advantages, one thing that he helped was an issue I was having with my wrists, it was a little uncomfortable shifting brifters.

it works great for me! I love it!
Old 09-23-20, 08:31 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

It’s good it works for you. However, as a review with general application, I think the reasons it works for you are pretty specific. Most folks don’t have motors they need to route cables around.

As for hand issues, either Di2 or SRAM etap, particularly with auxiliary sprint buttons would appear to be even a better answer.

Also, Most 10 speed hubs can take 11 speed cassettes. All HED wheels from 2013 forward already accept 11 speed, and from 2007 forward they can be upgraded.