Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Jagwire Racer derailleur cable kit - Campy compatibility?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Jagwire Racer derailleur cable kit - Campy compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 03:24 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Jagwire Racer derailleur / brake cable kit - Campy compatibility?

Hello folks -
(Should have titled this Derailleur / brake cable kit. Page won't let me change the title.)

So ... I set up a Campy Record RD (the first generation with "titanium" printed on it that preceded the "9 speed titanium" labeled series), with 9 speed Record Ergopower brifters (dating to about '96?). I used the now out of production Jagwire "Racer" kit (L3 housing) for the shifters, Campy cabling for the brakes.

Setup seems to shift fine after about 100 miles. But to my surprise, I noticed just by chance today that the package for the cables states it's NOT Campagnolo compatible! The cable kit is over a decade newer than the derailleur and shifters, so it may be that it just isn't compatible with same era equipment. Or maybe the concern is about the brake cables only (?) In any case, the why behind the incompatibility is unclear to me.

I have a Campy cable set but it seems stupid to fix what's not broken. If the cabling will do no harm to the shifters, I'm happy unless I have shifting issues.

Anyone have a bad experience with a similar combination? I just don't want to run into issues down the road, so to speak...

Would contact Jagwire, but was thinking I might just get connected with a rep who just reads the package to me.

Any informed input greatly appreciated!

Last edited by msl109; 08-25-20 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-25-20, 03:48 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The reason the cables said "not for Campagnolo" is that Campy shifters in particular and brake levers to a lesser extent require a slightly smaller cable end barrel than Shimano and SRAM. Using Shimano compatible cables can result in the cable barrel getting stuck in the Campy shifters and be very difficult to remove for later replacement. There are cables with a Shimano barrel on one end and a Campy barrel on the other and you cut off the one you don't need.
Old 08-25-20, 04:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Instead of just assuming that Jagwire will not have any information, why not call them? Worst case your fears will turn out to be justified. You might be pleasantly surprised. Even if the cable ends up being difficult to remove, it is installed now, you might as well ride until it needs replacement, rather than take out a working part now.
Old 08-25-20, 04:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Campy shifters ... require a slightly smaller cable end than Shimano. Using Shimano compatible cables can result in the cable end getting stuck in the Campy shifters.
Or you can just file the end like I've been doing for decades.
Old 08-25-20, 06:26 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Instead of just assuming that Jagwire will not have any information, why not call them? Worst case your fears will turn out to be justified. You might be pleasantly surprised. Even if the cable ends up being difficult to remove, it is installed now, you might as well ride until it needs replacement, rather than take out a working part now.
You're right - will shoot them a mail.
Old 08-25-20, 06:28 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'll keep that in mind for the future. As it is now, if they're stuck, they're probably already stuck.
Old 08-25-20, 06:32 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by HillRider
The reason the cables said "not for Campagnolo" is that Campy shifters in particular and brake levers to a lesser extent require a slightly smaller cable end barrel than Shimano and SRAM. Using Shimano compatible cables can result in the cable barrel getting stuck in the Campy shifters and be very difficult to remove for later replacement. There are cables with a Shimano barrel on one end and a Campy barrel on the other and you cut off the one you don't need.
I don't recall a dual end, so they probably are the wrong dimension. But I don't recall having any issue installing them either, slipped right in.
Old 08-25-20, 06:48 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
same here - about 30 sec with a file turns a Shimano end into a Campag end
Old 08-25-20, 06:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
unless the cable snaps close to or at the head, then you’ll have the devils own job getting the head out if it’s jammed. Might make more sense to extract the cable now, file the head and reinstall.
Old 08-25-20, 07:35 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by Litespud
unless the cable snaps close to or at the head, then you’ll have the devils own job getting the head out if it’s jammed. Might make more sense to extract the cable now, file the head and reinstall.
Was thinking that - they really haven't been used much and with time may deform or wedge in more. Now it's possible they're not stuck yet or not as badly as they would be down the line. I do have dental tools ...
Old 08-25-20, 10:49 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I'd pull 'em. They're only ever gonna get more stuck than they are now, and trying to get them out will never suck less than it already does.

I discovered this evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil incompatibility the first time I tried to re-cable a set of Simplex retrofrictions. Fortunately, it was immediately obvious, because the Simplex holes are so tiny that the Shimano cable ends didn't fit at all, they just sat on top of the lever like little buttons.

--Shannon
Old 08-28-20, 07:35 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by ShannonM
I'd pull 'em. They're only ever gonna get more stuck than they are now, and trying to get them out will never suck less than it already does.

I discovered this evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil incompatibility the first time I tried to re-cable a set of Simplex retrofrictions. Fortunately, it was immediately obvious, because the Simplex holes are so tiny that the Shimano cable ends didn't fit at all, they just sat on top of the lever like little buttons.

--Shannon
and I believe a lot of people left them on top like little buttons. If only that were the case here... but you're right - probably the most painless scenario is removing them now.
Old 08-29-20, 12:46 PM
msl109

Ok, so they slipped right out. The rear cable just popped out on its own. I've got a set of Campy cables, but if all I need to do is file them down a bit with a rotary tool, at least they wouldn't go to waste. My question is how much do I file them down - is it so little, I could just use some coarse sandpaper? I can get the digital caliper out ...
Old 08-29-20, 12:49 PM
msl109

just measured them - 4.3mm - that IS Shimano spec, no?
Old 08-29-20, 01:01 PM
msl109

One more note - the 6th posting in the thread below suggests the older Campy Ergos were compatible with both cable ends - possible that's my situation? Would explain why they gave me no trouble coming out.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...e-shimano.html
Old 08-29-20, 08:53 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by msl109
. . . But I don't recall having any issue installing them either, slipped right in.
Famous last words. Just wait.

There’s a naughty limerick involving glue, which ends, “They pay to get in / And they’ll pay to get out again, too!”

Edit: You did right to take them out.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 08-29-20 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 09:45 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Famous last words. Just wait.

There’s a naughty limerick involving glue, which ends, “They pay to get in / And they’ll pay to get out again, too!”

Edit: You did right to take them out.
Should have known I was setting myself up for a limerick. But no, I have no intention of slipping them back in - would be pressing my luck. Though if you read my last post before this, referencing another thread, it's possible that the earlier shifters like mine weren't as tight a fit and the issue only arose on later designs. But until I confirm that, I'm either grinding them down to Campy size or just using Campy cables in place of them.
Old 09-24-20, 09:00 PM
msl109

Just thought I'd follow up and thank all for their help. I ground down the cables to Campy dimensions and all is well.
Old 09-25-20, 07:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
FWIW, Jagwire makes Campy cables too. They're harder to find, but if you have multiple bikes, they seem to work just fine in Shimano shifters too.