Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

7/8 22.2 Seatpost

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

7/8 22.2 Seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 02:32 PM
calebpagan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
7/8 22.2 Seatpost

Hello everyone. My hybrid has a seatpost that doesn't let the saddle adjust fluidly. It's only in set increments. I can't get the saddle angle precisely where I want, so I want to swap out the seatpost. The problem I am encountering is size. It's a 22.2 and it seems exceptionally hard to find this size. The brands I am familiar with (Specialized, Fizik, etc) seem to only make 27.2 and larger seatposts. Anyone with more knowledge of this have any ideas about where to find a good replacement? Recommendations? Thanks.

Last edited by calebpagan; 09-20-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 03:46 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Good luck with that. I believe that (22.2, usually steel?) is an old-school ('90s?) BMX standard. You might have some difficulty sourcing a replacement.
Old 09-20-20, 04:20 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by calebpagan
Hello everyone. My hybrid has a seatpost that doesn't let the saddle adjust fluidly. It's only in set increments. I can't get the saddle angle precisely where I want, so I want to swap out the seatpost. The problem I am encountering is size. It's a 22.2 and it seems exceptionally hard to find this size. The brands I am familiar with (Specialized, Fizik, etc) seem to only make 27.2 and larger seatposts. Anyone with more knowledge of this have any ideas about where to find a good replacement? Recommendations? Thanks.
It's not pretty but the old plain post and clamp are still available.
Old 09-20-20, 04:54 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Good luck with that. I believe that (22.2, usually steel?) is an old-school ('90s?) BMX standard. You might have some difficulty sourcing a replacement.
Yeah. I'm new to cycling and I would never have thought to look at this as part of the purchase decision. After looking checking out other bikes, I can't understand why a company would produce a bike with this size seatpost. I've been happy with the bike otherwise. Frustrating.
Old 09-20-20, 05:53 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
What brand bike is it?

I have a '70 Peugeot that also has a very small seat post size. I think it may be 22.0mm, but I don't recall exactly. The steel seat tube necks down at the top and there's also a thin shim that goes in that further reduces the size. I'm not sure why they did this, and I'm curious to know the make and era of bike you're working with.
Old 09-20-20, 06:18 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
What brand bike is it?

I have a '70 Peugeot that also has a very small seat post size. I think it may be 22.0mm, but I don't recall exactly. The steel seat tube necks down at the top and there's also a thin shim that goes in that further reduces the size. I'm not sure why they did this, and I'm curious to know the make and era of bike you're working with.
2020 Brooklyn Bicycle Roebling.
Likes For calebpagan:
Old 09-21-20, 06:08 AM
hokiefyd 

The website may be deceiving, but it looks like a more typical 27.2mm seatpost. The seat tube looks like a pretty typical 28.6mm steel seat tube -- there must be a pretty thick shim at the top to get the seat post down to 22.2mm.

https://www.brooklynbicycleco.com/products/roebling

Unfortunately, the website specs say only that the seat post is an alloy seat post with an integrated clamp and micro adjust. I don't think these are available in the small 22.2mm size. Would it be possible to post a picture of what you have?
Old 09-21-20, 03:33 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The website may be deceiving, but it looks like a more typical 27.2mm seatpost. The seat tube looks like a pretty typical 28.6mm steel seat tube -- there must be a pretty thick shim at the top to get the seat post down to 22.2mm.

https://www.brooklynbicycleco.com/products/roebling

Unfortunately, the website specs say only that the seat post is an alloy seat post with an integrated clamp and micro adjust. I don't think these are available in the small 22.2mm size. Would it be possible to post a picture of what you have?
So you're kind of right! I got the number measuring on my own, but I emailed the company and it turns out to be a 25.4. Not as readily available as the 27.2, BUT Cannondale does make a 25.4. Crisis averted. Learning every day!
Likes For calebpagan:
Old 09-21-20, 06:09 PM
hokiefyd 

That's great to hear -- 25.4mm is still also thinner than I'd expect it to be...but as you note, it is indeed a more common size.

I guess the no kidding, absolute final say on the topic would be the existing seat post you have in the bike. It sounds like you have it...it's just not easy to adjust the seat angle. Most all seat posts have the size marked on them near the bottom, near where the minimum insertion line is. So you should be able to pull the seat post out of the frame and look for the size marked there. That would really confirm the number the manufacturer gave you.
Old 09-21-20, 06:31 PM
calebpagan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's great to hear -- 25.4mm is still also thinner than I'd expect it to be...but as you note, it is indeed a more common size.

I guess the no kidding, absolute final say on the topic would be the existing seat post you have in the bike. It sounds like you have it...it's just not easy to adjust the seat angle. Most all seat posts have the size marked on them near the bottom, near where the minimum insertion line is. So you should be able to pull the seat post out of the frame and look for the size marked there. That would really confirm the number the manufacturer gave you.
That's where I looked, but I didn't see a number. It had the minimum line but nothing else I saw. I ordered a 25.4 fsa carbon post from Cannondale Experts. A carbon post is a bit of overkill for my needs, but I didn't find many 25.4. I'll update when it arrives on whether or not it fit.
Old 09-22-20, 05:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Remember to apply some carbon paste to that seat post before installing it (if it looks like it's the correct size).

Old 09-22-20, 05:29 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

That's a good way to find out the intended nominal size of the seatpost. Shops don't like to guess, most good shops will use a seatpost sizing rod to measure the seat tube opening of the frame to match the proper seatpost. Reaming the proper size can be done at good shops also. It is not uncommon to see wrong sized seatposts "working fine" in frames, even from manufacturers.

Originally Posted by calebpagan
That's where I looked, but I didn't see a number. It had the minimum line but nothing else I saw. I ordered a 25.4 fsa carbon post from Cannondale Experts. A carbon post is a bit of overkill for my needs, but I didn't find many 25.4. I'll update when it arrives on whether or not it fit.
Carbon is nice, but requires a torque wrench to prevent overtorque; I like Pedro's torque wrenches. You also want to make sure that the inside of the tube is smooth and absolutely free of burrs. Then you will need some carbon paste.

25.4mm is not an uncommon size, its the last adult size "standard," a size I drop down to with shims on odd sized. C-experts deals with a lot of proprietary C parts, a few high end C frames use 25.4 for its extra compliance, which is why they stock these. Thomson make good 25.4mm posts with great tilt control, I have a few of them (in other diameters.)
Old 09-22-20, 07:30 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Just putting my two cents in:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...hoCr1YQAvD_BwE

This is a really nice seatpost. I bought one used (but new since it wasn't used for only $30) a week ago and it's really nice being able to adjust seat angle.

Cool thing is, it's made in the U.S. and it weighs very closely to what a more expensive carbon fiber seat-post weighs.

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-22-20 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-22-20, 08:17 AM
hokiefyd 

The two bolt systems are very nice for getting seat angle just right. My Giant Roam had this style of seat post from the factory, and I appreciated how easy it was to dial it in just so. I'll not buy a seat post with a single bolt adjustment in the future if I can help it.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-22-20, 08:43 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The two bolt systems are very nice for getting seat angle just right. My Giant Roam had this style of seat post from the factory, and I appreciated how easy it was to dial it in just so. I'll not buy a seat post with a single bolt adjustment in the future if I can help it.
My Sub Cross is the first bike I've owned that had a single bolt seatpost. Over a month ago, I had crashed, and a few weeks ago my seat rail broke, not sure if it was related to the crash or that I'm just a big guy on a wimpy seatpost. I had read somewhere on the forum that single bolt seatposts for those of us in the clyde section, creates problems with breaking saddle rails.

Anyhow, was happy to find this seatpost for sale in Winchester va. The guy whom owned it, said he never used it since he bought a different bike.

Was not a good crash, slightly damaged rear wheel, needing to be trued now. Had to readjust rear derailleur, really bloodied up my leg and arm and even had to pop my arm back into it's socket....yea, it wasn't good..

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-22-20 at 01:50 PM.