Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Seat Bag for Brooks B 17 Saddle

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 10:41 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

There are a lot of B17s out there, and I'm wondering if any of you have found a small (.5L) seat bag that will fit your B 17 saddle. I switched my saddle to a different bike today, and had to use all the rail length to get a proper knee to pedal position. My old seat bag will not work. I did a lot of searching tonight, but didn't find anything that looked like it would work well.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Doug
Old 09-21-20, 04:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have not bought a small saddle bag in years, so not sure what is available in stores now.

Generically, I think a lot of the wedge bags that hang from straps should fit, but the ones that have a quick release bracket of some kind might be the ones that are less likely to fit. I have a couple different wedge shaped bags that hang from nylon straps from the saddle that should fit, but the older ones were bigger than newer ones. Newer wedge shaped bags are probably less than a half liter since roadies minimize how much stuff they carry so a lot of the newer bags may be too small.

Half liter size implies just used for spare tube, a multi tool, maybe a patch kit and a few other things. If this is for a touring bike, have you considered using one of the containers you can put in a water bottle cage under the down tube? For non-touring use, that is what I use. I even used metal straps to add a cage to my rando bike that did not have brazed on fittings for a cage under the downtube to carry that stuff.

Decades ago you could buy small bags that used the saddlebag loops on a B17 but since most saddles these days lack those loops, such bags are hard to find in smaller sizes. Decades ago Cannondale made tons of small bags that hung from the saddle loops, I have two vintage Cannondale bags, if you do an internet search for Cannondale Toot Images you will find photos of what I mean.
Old 09-21-20, 05:00 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...ll-olive-20130

Pretty much any saddlebag I've had over the years would attach to a B17. Some styles come and go, combined with the current inventory issues, and choices are limited at the moment.
Old 09-21-20, 09:20 AM
Doug64

Thanks guys,
The problem is that my seatpost clamps are as far to the rear as I can get the on the seat rails,, which pretty much precludes using a quick release clamp. I was hoping something like the small Ortlieb would fit on the curved section of the rails. T in MSN, I think you are right about the bags that attach with nylon straps; that was all I could find that I thought would work.
Old 09-23-20, 06:48 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Here’s one from Tourbon I bought off eBay for about $25. Holds all my flat repair items.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 09-23-20, 06:55 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Maybe something from Swift Industries. Google Built by Swift. I think they have the style you seek.
Old 09-24-20, 08:36 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
These days, becuase I swap my toolkit between multiple bikes, I use a water bottle keg instead of a seatbag: KEG - Specialized Water Bottles
Of course, instead of buying a keg you can just use a wide mouthed water bottle

But for a seatbag I was thinking something that mounts sideways as Tom suggested.

Carradice has a nice leather toolkit that might match the leather look (sm or lg): https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/l...ather-tool-bag

Or, of course, the original: https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/...addle-bag.html

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-24-20 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 07:14 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
These days, becuase I swap my toolkit between multiple bikes, I use a water bottle keg instead of a seatbag: KEG - Specialized Water Bottles
Of course, instead of buying a keg you can just use a wide mouthed water bottle
Your link did not work for me. This did.
KEG - Specialized Water Bottles

I have used several different food jars over the years too. Over a decade ago before Skippy shrunk their peanut bottle jars, the older ones fit in a cage nicely. Planters used to make a peanut butter jar that fit well too. At one time I used a Parmesan cheese bottle, I think it was Kraft that made that one. Sprayed the inside of the jars black so it was less obvious what was in them, sprayed the inside instead of outside so the cage did not chip off the paint.

The Parmesan bottle in the photo below.

The bike in the photo did not have mounts for an under-downtube cage, but I strapped the cage on the same way that all water bottle cages were strapped on half a century ago, with metal straps.

On that bike, no longer using the cheese jar, now using one of these.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOCARBC/carnac-multi-case

Although I think the cheese jar would work better in wet conditions. I have not yet tried that zippered case on a rainy day so I do not know how well that will work.
Old 09-25-20, 08:18 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Thanks for the re link. Weird?

I like your cheese jar idea about painting the inside
Old 09-25-20, 12:53 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Your LBS probably has something like this. It's just enough for a spare tube and small multi-tool, mine hasn't carried a cell phone since I got something that wasn't a flip phone. It'll strap on to the angled part of your B-17 rails behind the clamp. (If you were local I could give you a spare, took me a few tries to find one a size larger...)
Old 09-25-20, 03:33 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Would this Banjo Brothers bag work for you?
https://banjobrothers.com/collection...seat-bag-small
Old 09-25-20, 05:45 PM
Doug64

Thanks guys,

I ended up with a Blackburn bag that is similar to the ones that pdlamb and GeorgeBaby linked to. I do like the idea of the one that fit a water bottle cage. I have 2 bikes that have 3 bottle mounting points so I might try one.

I appreciate your replys.
Old 10-02-20, 10:27 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Check out Acorn bags. I love their stuff, here’s their largest saddle bag on my Voyageur, but they definitely have several smaller sizes.