Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Pulley wheel compatibility?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 02:40 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Getting ready to replace my rear deraileur pulley wheels in my Diverge with 5000 miles on it.
105 11-speed Groupset.

Question:
I think I know this answer but, if I wanted to put slightly nicer than 105 pulley wheels on (Ultegra or Dura Ace) would the better pulley wheels be compatible with my 105 long cage rear deraileur? I think as long as I replace with 11 speed pulley wheels I will be good but thought I would check with this group as someone may know for sure. Thx.
Old 09-26-20, 03:30 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Yes. Since 105 pulley wheels are kind of underwhelming, with bushings rather than proper bearings, I replaced mine with a cheap aftermarket Tacx set which work for the entire Shimano 11 speed range. You can use Ultegra / DA just fine.
​​​​​​
​​​
Old 09-26-20, 11:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, Tacx. Their inexpensive Delrin gray plastic sealed bearing pulleys are better than many factory pulleys, and at least as good as Shimano Centeron. I've replaced the original Shimano pulleys on an older 600 Tricolor/Ultegra with Tacx. And it's far better than the original sintered bushing/bearing pulleys on my older Suntour derailleurs.

I also have some older Bullseye aluminum sealed bearing pulleys, red anodized aluminum, but the Tacx are just as good as run quieter.

I haven't replaced the sealed bearing pulleys in my Dura Ace derailleurs since those seem okay as-is.
Old 09-27-20, 04:34 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If you have a squiz on eBay, you can find BB delrin pulleys in whatever tooth count you like, with bushings to suit whatever make. Most derailers have room for larger pulleys, so you can improve efficiency without spending big on one of those silly-expensive upgrade cages. I fit 12/14t in a Red derailer no problem. Looks like it was made for it. Could've fit 13/15t, but i found narrow/wide toothed pulleys and wanted to give them a go. They work sweet.

BTW, you need a longer chain for this. Boom, longer chain life by however many percent.