Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Deep V alternatives

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Deep V alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 10:31 AM
maybeitsjustme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deep V alternatives

Hey all,

With my current setup I am riding with a pair of Velocity Deep Vs. I'm currently looking to part together a bike with a combination of new and used parts.

What alternatives to the DVs (that are just as functional and stylish) do people like out there? This will be my first build, and I'm wondering what other quality wheels I should consider.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by maybeitsjustme; 07-26-11 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 10:35 AM
xavier853

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mavic cxp33

are prob one of my favorite rims
Old 07-26-11, 10:37 AM
calbob76

Bikes: big block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my mavic open pros. They aren't deep like the velocity deep v's but they are just as tough and I like the look of them better. James Newman said it best when he said that 36h box rims have never failed him.
Old 07-26-11, 10:58 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme
Hey all,

With my current setup I am riding with a pair of Velocity Deep Vs. I'm currently looking to part together a bike with a combination of new and used parts.

What alternatives to the DVs (that are just as functional and stylish) do people like out there? This will be my first build, and I'm wondering what other quality wheels I should consider.

Thanks for the help.

No offense, man. But just go to a bunch of online stores that serve the track/fixed crowd and see what they offer. Have you done that?

Browse the store. Find one that looks interesting. Google the name. Click "images" to see people's bikes with that rim. Then decide if you like it or not.

It's not your fault, but so many people lately have been asking big open-ended questions that don't have finite answers. There is a HUGE difference between, "Does the X hub come in red drilled for 28 spokes?" and "I'm building a bike, what parts should I get?...PS It's my first bike...PPS...I only have $300."

Again, I know this isn't all about you. You just sort of walked in at the wrong time. Sorry to use your thread like this but...

Also, if you have Deep Vs and seem to be happy with them...why do you want something JUST LIKE Deep Vs?
Old 07-26-11, 11:04 AM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...ath=87_172_178
Old 07-26-11, 11:06 AM
maybeitsjustme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey man, completely understand where you are coming from. I was at my local shop just yesterday and they were telling me to consider the Mavic cxp33 that Xavier mentioned in a previous post.

I know the original post seemed open ended--I guess i was attempting to keep an open mind to other rims. So far, I have no reason to choose something other than my DVs, but I want some opinions other than my own to help in choosing. Isn't that what Forums are for?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that my local shop picked the Mavics in the original post.
Old 07-26-11, 11:09 AM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im running Novatec Force, almost identical to velocity dv but with a slight snapier feel (at least in my head)
Old 07-26-11, 11:12 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Velocity Deep Vs are great rims. If you want something lighter, go with KinLins (which is what the Force wheelset mentioned above is built with).
Old 07-26-11, 11:29 AM
vautrain

Bikes: Several, all steel and 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 for Mavic Open Pros. Tough. Lighter than Velocity Deep V's.
Old 07-26-11, 11:55 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Carleton,
Part of the issue is that most of us are looking at these things on-line and there isn't any way to get a feel for what a part is like.

It is good to get a kind of heads up about different parts. Sometimes there aren't already threads out there about what sort of things to look for in a part and whether a given part is any good.

There are tons of parts that look good on-line but don't have any reviews anywhere. It is good to see if there is any consensus about them. If it weren't for people asking "Hey what about Big Shot Bikes?" in these forums then all people would have to go on when buying them is the Big Shot web site.

Lots of people don't live anywhere near a "store that serves the track/fixed crowd" and those that do often only have Velocity rims and looking at a rim doesn't tell you as much as somebody having ridden on them for 1000 miles.

So what is this forum for if not for sharing experiences and expertise?

Another reason these questions get asked is that there are literally too many options to make following your suggested course of action. Take this guy's question. He was probably looking at a whole bunch of different rims but the forum has successfully made his selection easier by letting him focus on kinlins and mavic open pros. Now he or she can do what you think he should with some options in mind rather than being overwhelmed.

Last edited by prooftheory; 07-26-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 12:09 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kinlin/Force. So good.
Old 07-26-11, 12:15 PM
jessesv
u________u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Carleton,
Part of the issue is that most of us are looking at these things on-line and there isn't any way to get a feel for what a part is like.

It is good to get a kind of heads up about different parts. Sometimes there aren't already threads out there about what sort of things to look for in a part and whether a given part is any good.

There are tons of parts that look good on-line but don't have any reviews anywhere. It is good to see if there is any consensus about them. If it weren't for people asking "Hey what about Big Shot Bikes?" in these forums then all people would have to go on when buying them is the Big Shot web site.

Lots of people don't live anywhere near a "store that serves the track/fixed crowd" and those that do often only have Velocity rims and looking at a rim doesn't tell you as much as somebody having ridden on them for 1000 miles.

I fully understand what you're saying and agree that forums and the internet in general is a great place to get information about products from people who actually use them. However, I think what Carleton was saying is that some of these questions are a little too broad and that people should do some research on their own and get some ideas before coming here to talk shop. (I could be wrong)

It's like the exact opposite of the 'buy first, ask later' mentality that's seen a lot around here; I have some money and want something, what's the best for me?

It also sounds like someone saying, 'Hey, I drive a Toyota Corolla right now and I'm in the market for a new car. What do you guys suggest?' Answers could be thrown left and right, but there isn't a good starting point.

I'm all about coming here looking for help/reviews/answers to questions/whatever, but I also agree that maybe some research should be done before hand.
Old 07-26-11, 12:22 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, too, have noticed an influx of new members having senior members do their shopping for them. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but it does get kind of old for us.
Old 07-26-11, 12:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Carleton,

Another reason these questions get asked is that there are literally too many options to make following your suggested course of action. Take this guy's question. He was probably looking at a whole bunch of different rims but the forum has successfully made his selection easier by letting him focus on kinlins and mavic open pros. Now he or she can do what you think he should with some options in mind rather than being overwhelmed.
I've been in that situation, too. But it's the open-ended questions that make the threads turn into a game of "20 Questions".
Old 07-26-11, 12:28 PM
deadsouls.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carleton,

+1. This forum reminds me of Nazi Germany sometimes. Some people just need to relax.
Old 07-26-11, 12:30 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Which is why Carleton suggested online stores and Google.
Old 07-26-11, 12:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by deadsouls.
+1. This forum reminds me of Nazi Germany sometimes. Some people just need to relax.
Wow. You were in Germany when the Nazis ran things?

(Some people just need to stop being dramatic)
Old 07-26-11, 12:34 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look, I'm feeling a little defensive here because I just did the same thing with stem thread. I had literally been doing research for a week. I went to the LBS and asked to look at the stems they had. I read every review I could find and basically at the end of the week they all looked exactly the same to me. They were all either silver or black with white and/or red graphics. They all did pretty much the same thing even though some were $20 and some were $500 and I couldn't make heads or tales of it.

Now, despite this I know that some of you guys have opinions about stems. My real question was not so much about what stem is your favorite but why? How can I make sense of this mess because I have no idea what I'm looking at any more. Some of you have experience using different stems and having positive or negative reactions to them. Some of you have spent enough time looking at them -- years not just a week -- to have developed an aesthetic sense for them. I haven't so I wanted to take advantage of your experience.
Old 07-26-11, 12:36 PM
deadsouls.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Wow. You were in Germany when the Nazis ran things?

(Some people just need to stop being dramatic)
Haha, I laughed. You should be the one to talk.
Old 07-26-11, 12:41 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I want to add that the long-timers here like Carleton are awesome and I am grateful for all their advice.
Old 07-26-11, 01:01 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Bikes: EAI Toyo Gojira (Godzilla)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i want to add that the long-timers here like carleton are awesome and i am grateful for all their advice.
+1! :d
Old 07-26-11, 01:15 PM
jessesv
u________u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look, I'm feeling a little defensive here because I just did the same thing with stem thread. I had literally been doing research for a week. I went to the LBS and asked to look at the stems they had. I read every review I could find and basically at the end of the week they all looked exactly the same to me. They were all either silver or black with white and/or red graphics. They all did pretty much the same thing even though some were $20 and some were $500 and I couldn't make heads or tales of it.

Now, despite this I know that some of you guys have opinions about stems. My real question was not so much about what stem is your favorite but why? How can I make sense of this mess because I have no idea what I'm looking at any more. Some of you have experience using different stems and having positive or negative reactions to them. Some of you have spent enough time looking at them -- years not just a week -- to have developed an aesthetic sense for them. I haven't so I wanted to take advantage of your experience.
I don't think anyone's saying that it's not OK to get advice from all of us here. Your thread asks some specific questions and it seems pretty clear what you're looking for. No offense to the OP but this thread just starts off by basically asking 'what wheels other than deep v's exist?' and that's a pretty broad question.

Originally Posted by deadsouls.
Haha, I laughed. You should be the one to talk.
I don't ever recall Carleton ever comparing anything to Nazi Germany...
Old 07-26-11, 01:17 PM
Kayce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why has no one mentioned Zipp 101 wheels, or any other Zipp wheels? Are they bad?
Old 07-26-11, 01:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

...My real question was not so much about what stem is your favorite but why? How can I make sense of this mess because I have no idea what I'm looking at any more. Some of you have experience using different stems and having positive or negative reactions to them. Some of you have spent enough time looking at them -- years not just a week -- to have developed an aesthetic sense for them. I haven't so I wanted to take advantage of your experience.
THAT should have been your thread starter.
Old 07-26-11, 02:47 PM
maybeitsjustme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah--also definitely was not trying to flame Carleton. He's got a valid point--and that is--the more specific your question, the better the answer.

It looks like I will be checking out the Kinlins and the Mavics. What model kinlins would be similar to a cxp33?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.