Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes in road racing

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Disc brakes in road racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 09:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
see the new system six from cannondale? 140 rotors and thru axles, contrary to what they did with the caad12 and supersix..
The systemsix is weird to me. Some pics of I've seen of it make it look gorgeous. Others it looks butt ugly.
Old 07-03-18, 09:22 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
The systemsix is weird to me. Some pics of I've seen of it make it look gorgeous. Others it looks butt ugly.
The "overbite" (that notch between the head tube and fork) is strange looking.

I just think it's funny that they're coming out with an aero bike after years of saying they didn't need one in the lineup because those fat round tubes on their regular road bike were already aero optimized. It's also a bit lame that they spec'd an extremely fragile tire on the bike just because it happens to test well in a wind tunnel and now they can claim their bike is more aero than the Madone.
Old 07-03-18, 09:47 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

With the new Systemsix, the only price I'm seeing is $7499 with race wheels, di2, and a power2max powermeter. Honestly, not a terrible price for a full build, himod bike. That's the same price as the top of the line canyon disc brake bike and you don't have to deal with buying a canyon and all of those head aches.
Old 07-04-18, 03:56 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
With the new Systemsix, the only price I'm seeing is $7499 with race wheels, di2, and a power2max powermeter.
An unactivated power meter. You have to pay $499 for it to be activated.
Old 07-04-18, 11:33 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

blehh.

The new time machine looks sweet. Integrated storage solutions are so hot right now.
Old 07-04-18, 11:53 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
An unactivated power meter. You have to pay $499 for it to be activated.
Really? What does that require? Installing a battery?

Weird!
Old 07-04-18, 04:18 PM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
From the CyclingTips review:

Originally Posted by https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/cannondale-systemsix-first-ride-review-2019/
Cannondale has partnered with power2max for its top-end models. The Hi-MOD Dura-Ace Di2, Hi-MOD Ultegra Di2 and Hi-MOD Dura-Ace Womens builds all come with Cannondale’s own HollowGram SiSL2, BB30 chainset combined with power2max’s NG Eco powermeter. The niggly bit here though is that unless you pay the $490/€490 “activation fee” to power2max, the powermeter will, in essence, be redundant.

It was explained at the SystemSix launch that the power2max activation fee could be something of a selling point for retailers. The industry has a habit of not selling bikes at full RRP, and if they do it’s usually a case of the retailer throwing in freebies. A free activation of a powermeter on a $7,499 or $10,999 model bike may very well be the bargaining chip a shop needs.
Sounds like a dreadful idea to me.
Old 07-04-18, 04:58 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
SystemSix may be a bit too pricey for me, our team is a Cannondale shop so I'll get a discount but I wasn't looking to go over 5k and wanted an electonic gruppo.
Old 07-05-18, 05:25 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Really? What does that require? Installing a battery?
Buying a license.
Old 07-08-18, 01:50 PM
adele87

Bikes: 2018 Trek CrossRip 2 & 2017 Trek Emonda S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this year is supposed to be the beta test for disc brakes in the peloton. I think it will go well, and that disc brakes will be the future for road bikes.

advantages:
better stopping power
much less rim wear (leading to longer wheel lifespan and long term money savings)
less maintenance on hydraulic components
no more of that haunting squealing

disadvantages:
safety (we're about to find out; I doubt it's anymore dangerous than low spoke count wheels)
cost (greater upfront cost compared to calipers, but imo less long term cost due to long lasting rims)
weight/aero (weight not really an issue. aero needs more data)
rotors easily bend (pita, but manageable)
wheel compatibility (bring your own for the wheel pit)

i personally think the pros outweigh the cons. what do other people think?

anyone work in the industry? will the component manufacturers come out with disc brake options in the near future?
I have a Trek Emonda. The year I got it disc brakes weren't being put on it. Plus the color scheme was the exact I wanted on sale so I was excited. I also have a Trek Crossrip that has disc brakes for weather that isn't great.

My fear was people eventually won' be able to have the parts to repair caliper brakes if they go totally out...

I enjoy using both.
Old 07-08-18, 02:12 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by adele87
I have a Trek Emonda. The year I got it disc brakes weren't being put on it. Plus the color scheme was the exact I wanted on sale so I was excited. I also have a Trek Crossrip that has disc brakes for weather that isn't great.

My fear was people eventually won' be able to have the parts to repair caliper brakes if they go totally out...

I enjoy using both.
Is that really a fear? Are there parts from even 20 years ago that you can't buy? I see 8 and 9 speed stuff for sale on ebay all the time. And with the billions of brake calipers out there, I think they're be no fear of them ever going completely away. I have 8 or 9 pairs myself!
Old 07-08-18, 03:31 PM
adele87

Bikes: 2018 Trek CrossRip 2 & 2017 Trek Emonda S

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that really a fear? Are there parts from even 20 years ago that you can't buy? I see 8 and 9 speed stuff for sale on ebay all the time. And with the billions of brake calipers out there, I think they're be no fear of them ever going completely away. I have 8 or 9 pairs myself!
I am newish and need folks like you to inform me of this.
Old 07-09-18, 07:31 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
yeah but I put together a bike for Eroica this year... fudge man.. I'd be that much closer to a new aero bike if I shunned the whole thing.
Old 07-10-18, 05:11 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
also not like brake calipers really wear out.
Old 07-16-18, 09:44 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
With the new Systemsix, the only price I'm seeing is $7499 with race wheels, di2, and a power2max powermeter. Honestly, not a terrible price for a full build, himod bike. That's the same price as the top of the line canyon disc brake bike and you don't have to deal with buying a canyon and all of those head aches.
what do you mean? they're available in the States now aren't they?
Old 07-16-18, 09:59 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
blehh.

The new time machine looks sweet. Integrated storage solutions are so hot right now.
it also looks like they designed the bike with the bottle and cages in mind, which is something i was surprised nobody has done sooner. but then again, i remember reading that when you put a rider on the bikes, their differences in drag diminishes, I guess due to the much larger margin of error. so it really begs the question whether having a super aero frame is really worth while..
Old 07-20-18, 12:57 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

what do you mean? they're available in the States now aren't they?
Not the headache of buying it.. The headache of maintaining it. Many I've talked to complain about the difficulty to get propreitary replacement parts in a timely manner. Different sized steerers, unique bolts etc.
Old 07-24-18, 08:05 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
it also looks like they designed the bike with the bottle and cages in mind, which is something i was surprised nobody has done sooner. but then again, i remember reading that when you put a rider on the bikes, their differences in drag diminishes, I guess due to the much larger margin of error. so it really begs the question whether having a super aero frame is really worth while..
Granted it's only one data point but review not so favorable. For a 10k+ bike seems like a shame.
Key takeaways.
Squerrely with crosswind at speed.
Bottle holders not that easy get bottles out of.
The custom handlebars might not be for everyone.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/2019...e-road-review/
Old 07-25-18, 05:32 PM
spdntrxi

^ anecdotal at this point..

squirrels could be wheels.. rider is not large 5'8ish and looks skinny.. and 5'8' and fat and will feel a push on 60+mm wheels
New holders .. they will break in
Custom bars are never for anyone.. atleast they rotate, I think 25mm size has him bummed. They look good to me as does the stem.
Old 07-29-18, 03:53 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Yeah I agree anecdotal, so will see what other reviewers say in real world once it hits mass market.
Old 07-29-18, 08:44 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Yeah I agree anecdotal, so will see what other reviewers say in real world once it hits mass market.
I'll let you know since it's my #1 contender at the moment. However I'm not getting the entire bike and definitely not those wheels.... I'll get ENVE's
Old 07-29-18, 11:36 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I'll let you know since it's my #1 contender at the moment. However I'm not getting the entire bike and definitely not those wheels.... I'll get ENVE's
Yeah report back. I own the none disk version, and was thinking of getting disk one down the road.
Old 08-01-18, 02:22 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This latest crop of disc aero bikes has me really considering one for my next purchase in 2-3 years.
I can't justify the 'new' cost, but once the used market matures there should be some mega deals to be had.

Side topic, other than weight and aerodynamics (and bling), which are all very close at this point, how long until the basement falls out on the high-end wheel market?
Switching to disc is removing the major component in why no-name carbon wheels were/are so scary. Any properly built/trued wheel isn't very likely to just explode on it's own now that heat/wear is no longer a factor.
Old 08-01-18, 05:41 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by ancker
This latest crop of disc aero bikes has me really considering one for my next purchase in 2-3 years.
I can't justify the 'new' cost, but once the used market matures there should be some mega deals to be had.

Side topic, other than weight and aerodynamics (and bling), which are all very close at this point, how long until the basement falls out on the high-end wheel market?
Switching to disc is removing the major component in why no-name carbon wheels were/are so scary. Any properly built/trued wheel isn't very likely to just explode on it's own now that heat/wear is no longer a factor.
I dont know but once my disc gravel/road bike is built I'm fire selling all my high end carbon (enve) I have already off'd my full disc TT wheels and some other stuff. Eventually in 1-2 years I'll go disc on my TT bike as well and be disc only. I'm not going to wait for the basement.. but I think the basement is 2-3 or more years away.
Old 08-03-18, 12:17 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker

i think resin melting under heavy breaking has not been a problem for some time now. It was when the open mould wheels first came out that this happened. people were using low Tg resin to make the wheels. the open mould distributors that are still around (yoeleo, dengfu, farsports, etc) use good quality stuff for their builds. so there's nothing to worry about as far as safety goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.