Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using Flat Pedals with mostly my heal/back arch - Is my foot too far forward?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 09:23 AM
33yearslate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts

I'm a new rider - been riding every day for a little over a month now, weather permitting. I'm using an FX1 with disc brakes, and I'm finally starting to feel comfortable on the bike. I've raised the seat to the point where I can get my leg almost fully straight when at the bottom of my cycling motion. And I've also moved the seat a little further back than default and tilted it forward to make things a bit more comfortable.

But now, I realized something - when I position my feet on the pedal where the balls of my feet are still touching it, I get a lot less power on hills/get tired more easily than if I move my foot further forward and instead use the back part of my arch and my heal to make contact.

Basically, when I'm at my most comfortable, the balls of my feet are completely off the pedal by a relatively large margin - and I like it. It feels like the power is coming from my glutes and I can throw my body weight hard into the pedal to go faster when ascending. Most of the contact feels like it's happening in my heel. And I do not get sore this way. It's kind of like the same feeling as doing squats.

But if I eventually want to upgrade my bike and go to clipless pedals, is this going to be a problem? Every photo and video I've seen of riders seems to show people connecting with the pedal near the ball of the foot or slightly behind the ball. This is quite a bit further forward than what feels ideal to me.

Any tips on what I should do? Should I kill this habit now? Or should I just embrace what feels natural?
Old 05-15-20, 10:01 AM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you are mashing the pedals. Try pedaling faster and see if you can maintain that foot position.
Old 05-15-20, 10:04 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Here is an alternative pedal I like for mountain biking.
Old 05-15-20, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 33yearslate
I'm a new rider - been riding every day for a little over a month now, weather permitting. I'm using an FX1 with disc brakes, and I'm finally starting to feel comfortable on the bike. I've raised the seat to the point where I can get my leg almost fully straight when at the bottom of my cycling motion. And I've also moved the seat a little further back than default and tilted it forward to make things a bit more comfortable.

But now, I realized something - when I position my feet on the pedal where the balls of my feet are still touching it, I get a lot less power on hills/get tired more easily than if I move my foot further forward and instead use the back part of my arch and my heal to make contact.

Basically, when I'm at my most comfortable, the balls of my feet are completely off the pedal by a relatively large margin - and I like it. It feels like the power is coming from my glutes and I can throw my body weight hard into the pedal to go faster when ascending. Most of the contact feels like it's happening in my heel. And I do not get sore this way. It's kind of like the same feeling as doing squats.

But if I eventually want to upgrade my bike and go to clipless pedals, is this going to be a problem? Every photo and video I've seen of riders seems to show people connecting with the pedal near the ball of the foot or slightly behind the ball. This is quite a bit further forward than what feels ideal to me.

Any tips on what I should do? Should I kill this habit now? Or should I just embrace what feels natural?
Embrace what feels natural, and you may never feel a need to go clipless but, if you do, you'll be able to adjust. I have very weird feet, and the main reason I ride platform all the time is because I want to be free to move them around as needed.
Old 05-15-20, 10:54 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by J.C. Koto
Sounds like you are mashing the pedals. Try pedaling faster and see if you can maintain that foot position.
It's true I definitely am. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: By the way, I just want to mention, relative to my weight and height, I some pretty large, powerful legs muscles. So I thought by mashing, I was putting them to good use.

Last edited by 33yearslate; 05-15-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 11:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It's true I definitely am. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: By the way, I just want to mention, relative to my weight and height, I some pretty large, powerful legs muscles. So I thought by mashing, I was putting them to good use.
Not really. Cycling is mostly an aerobic activity.
Old 05-15-20, 11:20 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
For me it's platform pedals and boots with a heel. For whatever reason my plantir faaciitis (sp?) pain goes totally away... so, hmmm, every situation is unique?
Old 05-15-20, 01:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Here is an alternative pedal I like for mountain biking.
This is exactly what came to my mind when I read the OP. On some of the MTB boards, some folks are embracing a more "foot forward" approach, even with clipless.

Go with what feels right.

Go with what feels good.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-15-20, 04:16 PM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by Kapusta
This is exactly what came to my mind when I read the OP. On some of the MTB boards, some folks are embracing a more "foot forward" approach, even with clipless.

Go with what feels right.

Go with what feels good.
As someone who never rode clipless before, is it possible to do it the same way? Do the sjoes connect that far back?
Old 05-15-20, 04:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

As someone who never rode clipless before, is it possible to do it the same way? Do the sjoes connect that far back?
No, I am not aware of any that extend that far back. I just meant that they are moving the cleats as far back as they go.... or just using flats.
Old 05-15-20, 06:12 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
It's OK to move your feet around for different types of riding. It's one of the advantages of flat pedals (as opposed to clipless). I ride gravel bikes on and off road w flat pedals and will shift my feet slightly forward or back depending on if I'm hammering on the flats, or climbing some steep incline, etc. It's not even really conscious at this point. And FWIW I've never had any issues with knee pain, etc with this setup and approach.
Old 05-16-20, 05:10 PM
33yearslate

I think I do the same actually.
Old 05-16-20, 06:26 PM
lokifadisa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No, I am not aware of any that extend that far back. I just meant that they are moving the cleats as far back as they go.... or just using flats.
Old 05-16-20, 10:30 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
To me this sounds as if your seat is low, and I mean way too low - like by a few inches. This will naturally cause pedaling by the heels as this allows for a better leg extension and so will feel more comfortable and generate more power (compared to pedaling with a more front position of the feet which will result in even more cramped legs). And, indeed, way too low of a seat does feel like doing squats, as you describe.Your quads will be loaded significantly more than other parts of the leg if your seat is too low (and if you'll pedal not with the heels they'll be loaded even more because this shorters the reach to the pedals). In fact, if your seat is positioned at the proper height you'll simply not be able to "power on hills" by pedaling with the heels at all because you'll not be able to generate any significant power at full leg extension, it should be barely possible to pedal at all with the heels.
Old 05-17-20, 01:00 PM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
To me this sounds as if your seat is low, and I mean way too low - like by a few inches. This will naturally cause pedaling by the heels as this allows for a better leg extension and so will feel more comfortable and generate more power (compared to pedaling with a more front position of the feet which will result in even more cramped legs). And, indeed, way too low of a seat does feel like doing squats, as you describe.Your quads will be loaded significantly more than other parts of the leg if your seat is too low (and if you'll pedal not with the heels they'll be loaded even more because this shorters the reach to the pedals). In fact, if your seat is positioned at the proper height you'll simply not be able to "power on hills" by pedaling with the heels at all because you'll not be able to generate any significant power at full leg extension, it should be barely possible to pedal at all with the heels.
Interesting. You may be right. I will try to raise the seat further and see how that feels.
Old 05-17-20, 01:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by ELIOTASIA
Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

I’m confused.... What are those random links for, and why are you repeating my post without quoting it?
Old 05-17-20, 01:32 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Interesting. You may be right. I will try to raise the seat further and see how that feels.
Quick and easy way to get in the right ball park:

Sit on the seat while propping yourself up against a wall or railing.

Put the pedal in its lowest position

Put your heel on the pedal so it's at the six o clock position

When you do this on your seat your knee should be completely straight.

Adjust the saddle so your knee is straight. If your heel looses contact with the pedal the seat is too high, if you have a bend in your knee when your heel is on the pedal the seat is too low.

Once satisfied with the height use some electrical tape to wrap around the seat post. Or mount your rear light at the base of the seat post or scratch a mark into the seat post. Now you can use the visual aids to quickly get back the right seat height should you need to adjust the seat.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 05-17-20, 02:25 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Toe OVERLAP comes to my mind at an inconvenient time with heal on pedal.