Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bought size small since medium was sold out

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 10:44 PM
lowBattery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new to the forums and back to riding a bike after 20 years.

I purchased a Trek Dual Sport 2 in small since the stores here are all sold out of medium. Medium is the correct size for me. I have a herniated disc and was wondering if riding size small with the seat raised higher will be an issue? Will adding a stem raiser help?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-23-20, 11:57 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Did the bike shop recommend that? Are you between sizes or are you a solid medium?

Getting a wrong size bike to fit can be a challenge, and it may never feel right. Maybe they have an alternative bike in medium available, like a Trek FX.
Old 05-24-20, 12:34 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
There are some fixes, but not always the best; raising the saddle, getting longer stem, but it's a risk. Be very picky, if this bike will be your primary.
Old 05-24-20, 06:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Would you buy shoes in a "small" if "medium" was sold out?

Too small or too large have their downsides. And "making" them fit is a poor fix.
Old 05-24-20, 06:28 AM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Bikes: Trek checkpoint SL5 , AL5 , Ryenolds

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Depends on you and bike really , on charts I'm supposed to ride a 56 but I actually prefer a 54 or have even owned a 52 before. Where is it small ? Length , height ?
Old 05-24-20, 08:33 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 225 Posts
Personally, for me, myself and I only, that bike's top tube slopes dramatically and I would be more comfortable moving UP one size then down a size. Trek's geometry specs guide me in this direction as well.
Old 05-24-20, 08:45 AM
lowBattery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I was more interested in the Dual Sport 2. I found another store that has the FX 2 in medium. Since I have yet to pick up the bike, I will try to get them to change the order.

I tried to post the link to the bike specs, but since I'm new, not allowed to post links.

My main concern was my back. Could it cause lower back injury?
Old 05-24-20, 08:59 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by lowBattery
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I was more interested in the Dual Sport 2. I found another store that has the FX 2 in medium. Since I have yet to pick up the bike, I will try to get them to change the order.

I tried to post the link to the bike specs, but since I'm new, not allowed to post links.

My main concern was my back. Could it cause lower back injury?
You need to get a bike that fits. Years ago, I rode a Bianchi hybrid in size medium. It never fit quite right and riding for more than an hour or two, I tended to have neck pain. About 8 years ago, I bought my current bike. At first it seemed big compared to the Bianchi, but I adjusted to it and you know what I don't get anymore? No more neck pain.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 05-24-20, 01:15 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
^
What he said. Buying the wrong size bake?
Old 05-24-20, 02:25 PM
lowBattery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the small with the seats raised and didn't have any issues. I knees didn't hit anything. Even with the seat at the original position the bike felt comfortable except the person at the store told me that my knees were bent more when the pedal was at the bottom. So then he raised the seat and I tried it again except this time I was a bit more bent but it was not uncomfortable. I figured I could always add the stem the raise the handle bars if needed. I plan on riding it on a bike path for maybe an hour a day for 3-4 days a week.

Tried calling the shop to cancel the order (since my bike has not been assembled) so that I can place the FX 2 in medium at another of their location, but they aren't picking up the phones. I have emailed them and I hope they can cancel it before they open the box.

Again, I appreciate all the feeback
Old 05-24-20, 02:33 PM
MRT2

I tried the small with the seats raised and didn't have any issues. I knees didn't hit anything. Even with the seat at the original position the bike felt comfortable except the person at the store told me that my knees were bent more when the pedal was at the bottom. So then he raised the seat and I tried it again except this time I was a bit more bent but it was not uncomfortable. I figured I could always add the stem the raise the handle bars if needed. I plan on riding it on a bike path for maybe an hour a day for 3-4 days a week.

Tried calling the shop to cancel the order (since my bike has not been assembled) so that I can place the FX 2 in medium at another of their location, but they aren't picking up the phones. I have emailed them and I hope they can cancel it before they open the box.

Again, I appreciate all the feeback
You never mentioned how tall you are.
Old 05-24-20, 02:35 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Your butt goes on the seat, your feet on the pedals, your hands on the handlebars. All 3 can be adjusted for too-small a frame. (How a guy adjusted for too-large a frame, I can't imagine.) The smaller the frame, the stronger. I buy the size smaller and get parts swapped out for longer so I can adjust.
Old 05-24-20, 02:43 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Your butt goes on the seat, your feet on the pedals, your hands on the handlebars. All 3 can be adjusted for too-small a frame. (How a guy adjusted for too-large a frame, I can't imagine.) The smaller the frame, the stronger. I buy the size smaller and get parts swapped out for longer so I can adjust.
I don't even know what this means. . Trying to adjust a too small frame is almost as bad as going with a too large frame. I know because I rode a too small frame for years but didn't realize it until I got a frame that fit me,. Yes, you can get an extra long seatpost and long stem to get the bars higher and further away, but then that puts your hands too far forward. If that is all you have, then you make it work, but if you are buying something new, go with what fits to begin with.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 05-24-20, 03:36 PM
lowBattery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5 8"
Old 05-24-20, 03:42 PM
MRT2

I am 5 8"
No way a small sized bike can be made to fit. I know, everybody is built differently, but I would say a small sized frame is for someone 5'5" or shorter. At 5'8" you are a medium.

Shame on the folks at the bike shop pushing product out the door that is a poor fit. take your business elsewhere.

From Trek's website. In the DS line, the small is for someone 5'1 to 5'5" , the medium is for someone 5'6" to 5'9", and the large is for someone 5'9" to 6'1". So the store that sold you the bike is either greed or incompetent.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ort-2/p/23067/

Last edited by MRT2; 05-24-20 at 03:47 PM.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 05-24-20, 09:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I agree. Don't accept the bike. Go to whatever shop has abike with the features you want in the correct size. Size trumps everything else. Look beyond one or two popular brands.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-24-20, 10:53 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
you can get an extra long seatpost and long stem to get the bars higher and further away, but then that puts your hands too far forward.
Too far forward of what?
Old 05-27-20, 11:34 PM
lowBattery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to contact the store manager and they are going to make things right and give me a bike in medium. Thank you everyone for all your help.