Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2009 Redline Conquest Pro upgrades?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-26-20, 03:10 PM
dave_o

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up a redline cyclocross bike. 2009, Sora derailleurs, lower end shimano shifters, formula wheels, and carbon fork. Bike is in excellent shape, but will need upgrades. I got it for $250, so spending money on upgrades will not hurt. My question is, should I invest in this, and if so any recommendation on changes to make? Or would it be better to resale and buy something else.
min looking to ride gravel and do some gravel races and do some light bike packing. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-28-20, 06:52 AM
TomPalmer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Conquest Pro is a great bike. One that I wish i had not sold. i would upgrade tires first. If you are riding gravel or rough road a fatter supple tire is a joy. I had Continetal Speed Ride 700x42s on mine and even road it on teh B group rides with no issues.
Enjoy it!
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI
Old 05-28-20, 11:49 AM
dave_o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, Tom. I was thinking of buying a new wheelset and wider tires, so your advice reinforces my decision. Thanks!
Old 05-28-20, 02:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Wheels and tires are always safe bets; rest of the parts can be a nuisance to change unless you invest in a bunch at once and swap over a whole drive train. Though you may find the cross gearing that it came with isn't the gravel gearing you want and a new crank might be the solution.
Old 05-28-20, 02:57 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Wheels and tires are a good bet. Unless the wheels are obsolete (i.e. rim brake). Enjoy it like it is and if something starts to bug you, then replace it. I'm happy with CX gearing - I can do anything I want with it. That does depend on your rear cassette though - if you need more low end, that is an easy upgrade to get more teeth.
Old 05-28-20, 10:23 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Magura HS33 brakes. Either use the levers as in-line setup if fit, or there are other workaround dropbar lever options.
Old 05-28-20, 10:30 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I have a 2015 Conquest Expert with carbon frame and fork and disk wheels. I love the way it rides and handles. I feel that this bike's geometry is right between a road and gravel bike. A sweet spot IMO. Max tire size is about 38C on mine. I think you have the AL frame with carbon fork and rim brakes. Not sure how wide tires will fit yours.

Suggestion mentioned above are a good place to start. Do some research on these Conquests. They are all positive and some builds can be done with weights coming in below 20lbs. Awesome frame set! Can only get better from here. Enjoy the journey...
Old 05-29-20, 08:47 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I also recently got this very same bike (for $160 but high milleage) and it's a great bike. Although I upgraded a bunch of parts (wheels, v-brake conversion, tiagra long derailleeur, seat) I only did so because I had them in my parts bin and the originals were worn. But if I had this bike in good condition and I had to pay to buy parts I would not do any upgrades as there are no glaring deficiencies in the factory parts. Sure, lighter wheels would be nice, and 11 or 12spd, and disc brakes (it has the mounts on the frame) etc etc but pretty soon you've dumped some serious $ into an old bike.
The only upgrade I would do is gearing and tires (if they are somewhat worn). I replaced the 12-25 cassette with a 12-34 to make hill climbing easier and no regrets but note you may need a longer derailleur and new chain too.
Old 05-29-20, 09:17 PM
dave_o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses; they are all helpful. I think I’m going to ride as is for a bit, and then start making upgrades afterwards.
Old 10-18-20, 12:12 PM
flyby606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire clearance on conquest pro?

Originally Posted by TomPalmer
The Conquest Pro is a great bike. One that I wish i had not sold. i would upgrade tires first. If you are riding gravel or rough road a fatter supple tire is a joy. I had Continetal Speed Ride 700x42s on mine and even road it on teh B group rides with no issues.
Enjoy it!
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI
Thanks Tom- I've had a 2009 Conquest Pro for years and it's been a great bike. You mentioned that you have 700x42s mounted now. I was trying to decide if I could fit 700x40 WTB Byways on mine. From your experience, it sounds like I could. Is yours a 2009?

Thank you!