Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which screw do I use?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Which screw do I use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 03:24 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Which screw do I use?

I ride a Giant Escape. The bike is a 3 by 9 set up. Since changing the cassette I have not been able to shift into the hardest gear. I know one of the screws in the picture needs to be adjusted but I don't know which screw to use. Please pardon my lack of mechanical understanding. I would like to see if I could do this myself instead of taking the bike back to the LBS. They have been swamped.
Old 05-23-20, 03:35 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
The H screw. High limit.
Go in small increments. Too much and the chain goes off the cog.
Have you tried turning the barrel adj. IN a couple clicks? You might be jumping the gun with turning screws.
IF you turn screws, keep track of how much so you can return to where you started in case you go the wrong way.
Old 05-23-20, 03:53 PM
asmack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Don't use the H screw to adjust this. Move your barrel adjuster to allow maximum slack in the cable. Undo the clamp bolt to let all tension off the cable and use the H screw to line the chain up with the small cog. Tighten and secure the cable, making sure it's not so tight that it moves the chain. Use the barrel adjuster to make small adjustments to fine tune the shifting. Similarly, with full tension-- just pull on the wire, use the L screw to make sure the chain won't go past the large cog.
Old 05-23-20, 04:52 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You will help avoid stripping the screw's head or the threads in the derailleur if you push the derailleur by hand and follow with the screw rather than trying to drive the derailleur against the spring with the screw. JIS screwdrivers fit the cross recess better than Phillips.
Old 05-23-20, 05:41 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I'd reiterate what's said in post #3 above. It's usually best to just start from scratch. Those five extra minutes could save you thirty.
Old 05-23-20, 05:51 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You will help avoid stripping the screw's head or the threads in the derailleur if you push the derailleur by hand and follow with the screw rather than trying to drive the derailleur against the spring with the screw. JIS screwdrivers fit the cross recess better than Phillips.
I think this is under-appreciated. It is sooo easy to round out the screw head. But I have never seen JIS screwdrivers for this (but I suppose do some searching online and they will pop up). Now my SRAM has hex-head screws which eliminates that issue.

For OP: run the rear shifter up and down and watch which screw is close or making contact in the biggest and smallest gear. The purpose of the screws is to prevent the derailleur from moving to far in (on the biggest gear) or out (on the smallest gear). But the tension in the cable (gross adjustment with the cable set screw, fine adjustment with the barrel adjuster) determines how well the shifts work. If the gross adjustment is off, you have trouble getting it to shift to the biggest or smallest gear. The fine adjustment you can check in the middle gears, seeing how reliably it shifts up (bigger gear) or down (smaller gear). If it won't go to the bigger gear you need more tension in the cable and vice-versa.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 05-30-20, 11:59 AM
jskash

I took my bike to the LBS yesterday to have them look at the shifting. Two people tried for at least 20 minutes to get the gears into the smallest cog but were unable to. They settled on ordering me a new derailleur. Hopefully that will solve the issue. It is not much of a problem for me as I very rarely use the smallest cog.
Old 05-30-20, 12:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I took my bike to the LBS yesterday to have them look at the shifting. Two people tried for at least 20 minutes to get the gears into the smallest cog but were unable to. They settled on ordering me a new derailleur. Hopefully that will solve the issue. It is not much of a problem for me as I very rarely use the smallest cog.

Did they check the hanger alignment?

Who changed the cassette? If the symptom started then, was it checked for position?

Unlikely that a new RD is needed, & sounds like incompetence at work.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-30-20, 02:28 PM
jskash

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Did they check the hanger alignment?
I know they checked the alignment.

Who changed the cassette? If the symptom started then, was it checked for position?
The LBS changed the cassette. The mechanic spent a long time working on it. He did change the shifter but when the original work was done but did not change the derailleur. I was told that the new derailleur will be the model as the shifter.

Unlikely that a new RD is needed, & sounds like incompetence at work.
I guess we will find out after they put the new derailleur on. I do want to cut the mechanic a bit of slack. The original work was done one of the first days of the pandemic and the store was closing early, so everyone was a bit tense.

Last edited by jskash; 05-30-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 02:55 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by jskash
I guess we will find out after they put the new derailleur on. I do want to cut the mechanic a bit of slack. The original work was done one of the first days of the pandemic and the store was closing early, so everyone was a bit tense.

So the shop changed the cassette and maybe the shifter, and after that it didn't shift right so now they are going to replace the RD?

Doesn't sound great, but hope it works out.
Old 05-30-20, 07:08 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Without seeing the bike I tend to agree with woodcraft.

Was it ever right? Derailleur limit screws, once correctly set, very seldom need readjustment.

You can check your derailleur hanger alignment yourself.
1. Prop your bike up vertically against a wall or something.
2. Shift into a gear combination that makes the derailleur cage point downward.
3. Now examine your derailleur from the back of the bike. Does your derailleur cage seem to be pointing at the rear wheel? If it does, there's your problem. It should be pointing straight down in the same plane with the rear wheel.
Old 05-31-20, 07:57 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Would you post an image of your rear derailleur and cogset, taken from the rear of the bike, with the rear derailleur pointing down so that we can see the angle if any of the derailleur cage? That way we'd have a much better chance of knowing if your derailleur hanger is bent.

An image something like this but closer showing the rear derailleur and frame.

Cheers
Old 05-31-20, 10:44 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Would you post an image of your rear derailleur and cogset, taken from the rear of the bike, with the rear derailleur pointing down so that we can see the angle if any of the derailleur cage? That way we'd have a much better chance of knowing if your derailleur hanger is bent.

An image something like this but closer showing the rear derailleur and frame.

Cheers

Like that?
Old 05-31-20, 11:55 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Like that?
That was an extremely helpful post - NOT. LOL

Cheers
Old 05-31-20, 12:09 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Miele Man
That was an extremely helpful post - NOT. LOL

Cheers

Sorry man, lost my focus...
Old 06-09-20, 10:19 PM
jskash

The saga of my shifting problem was finally solved today. A new derailleur was ordered and put on the bike. That still did not solve the problem. After quite some time I went up to the front of the store where the mechanic was working on the bike and suggested that possibly the new cassette that had been put on two months ago was the culprit from the beginning since even changing the derailleur didn't work. It appears he was thinking the same thing I was because shortly after that he got a new cassette to put on the bike. It worked. In the meantime, The shifter and derailleur had been replaced. Fortunately I only ended up paying for the derailleur which is what the invoice stated.