Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cue the Fat Jokes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cue the Fat Jokes

Old 06-15-20, 01:13 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Get a Nitto two bolt and forget about it. https://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Dynamic...g%2C187&sr=1-2
Old 06-15-20, 02:23 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
You are most likely over tightening the bolt to begin with. Try backing off a bit or get a torque wrench. Titanium wont help, - at all. At the same dimensions a titanium bolt is WEAKER than steel.
Old 06-15-20, 03:00 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Bolts can come from whoever in the world can make them the cheapest by the ton. I can snap no-grade chicom or Indian bolts pretty easily. I used to be able to get US made 8.8 or 10.9 metric hex head cap screws at NAPA, but I’m not sure you can even get them there anymore. Your pic looks like a cheap fatigued bolt to me, but I’m not an expert. I would try to replace it with a good quality bolt and washer. And then you might pull the threads out of the Al clamp piece.
Old 07-28-20, 11:32 AM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I think I solved the mystery, and DiabloScott wins the prize with his statement "Installation error (over torque or improper saddle position eg): 30%". To put it another way, it was what my brother calls an eye-dee-ten-tee error. And yes, I'm the ID10T in this scenario.

I initially followed (and exceeded) the suggestion by grizzly59 and acquired a pair of 12.9 grade bolts -- made for use in aircraft, heavy machinery, etc. I installed one, and it snapped in half after about 2 months. Clearly, the bolt itself was not the problem.

Next, I began looking into buying a new seat post. That lead to a decision about setback, so I looked at how much of a setback my existing post had. Well, to make a long story short, my seat post was installed backwards. There was a 20 mm "set-front". To compensate, the saddle was installed way back on the clamp/post, undoubtedly outside of tolerances. Plus, the saddle still wasn't far enough back so I tended to shift back for more power during steep climbs. That translated to way more torque on the bolt than it was designed for.

I just turned the post around and reinstalled the saddle. The middle of the saddle now sits squarely on top of the clamp/post, and is held together with the spare 12.9 bolt.

With any luck, this will also translate to a better pedal stroke.
Likes For njlonghorn:
Old 07-28-20, 04:44 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
^^^^^ This. Thomson. I'm a little over 230.
I broken a Thomson Masterpiece a few months ago. I weigh 195 lbs. I had that seatpost over 15 years, spent the first half of its life on my gravel bike and the second half of its life was on my greenway bike. I don't begrudge. Still get a Thomson.
Old 07-28-20, 05:42 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
thats actually a funny story
Old 07-28-20, 07:15 PM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
thats actually a funny story
I’m always happy to give someone a laugh, even if it’s at my expense.
Likes For njlonghorn:
Old 07-29-20, 05:41 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Naw, I mean it is funny in that I could see myself overthinking a problem then over engineering the solution when all along it was something I put in backwards. The type of thing you put hours into only to have he wife solve with a single look.

The idea of parts breaking without warning gives me the heebie jeebies.
Old 07-29-20, 09:30 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sometimes a broken seat bolt can lead to a legend.
Heh... brings back a memory of an event that fortunately didn't become a legend! I was a mile into my two-mile commute to the train when I felt a little extra "softness" in my "ThudBuster" suspension seatpost. I stopped (luckily!) to see what was going on... and the entire saddle fell off. The suspension unit had fractured off at the junction with the seatpost. I was *not* going to miss my train, so I rode the last mile standing. Got several strange looks from passing motorists! Luckily, I had a spare seatpost at home.

Cyclic fatigue seatpost failure

Sitting on the train thinking about what *could* have happened!
Old 07-30-20, 02:05 PM
adipe

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If it is just a normal threaded bolt, not a specialized bolt with a shoulder or other features I would look for a grade 10.9 or 12.9 bolt (assuming metric) of the same size. Class 12.9 (1220MPa) are stronger than typical titanium (1030MPa) in ultimate tensile strength.
12.9 bolts are more vulnerable to HE - hydrogen embrittlement.

10.9 is plenty and you don't need to over tighten the bolts. just tighten to the point when there are no creaks and maybe... use a torque wrench if you have bad estimation of your hand force over the key. usually you use one of your finger, the ring finger in my case. i do so as i apply lubricant that prevents bolts breaking because of HE etc.

to translate the torque used for dry vs lubricated bolts...

https://www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/e3_6a.htm
do not use regular grease but apply chain lube or something that has wax as an additive. usually the CoF gets lower to 0.2 for wax. in rare cases it gets down to 0.1 but i repeat... the way i use the key over the bolts is by feel and experience as to avoid creaks and not get the bolts tighter than needed.

that calculator above can be used to understand the limit of the material for different parameters like dry vs wet lube etc.
nickel over nickel (like stainless) is usually 0.15 CoF even if dry.
Old 07-30-20, 02:09 PM
adipe

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
after you tighten the bolt(s) apply some pressure to the key just to release torsional stress from the bolt. no need to loosen the bolt in doing so. apply about 1/2 of force you used to tighten the bolt like trying to loosen it and if you see it move then you may tighten it back and be more cautious/gentle when applying force as to get torsional stress relieved without getting to the point of the threads moving.

Last edited by adipe; 07-30-20 at 02:15 PM.