Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 08-24-20, 11:43 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
FYI, this is a 48cm with 700c Wheels.
700c rear wheel and 24x1" front. 47c2c and 49tt I think.
Old 08-24-20, 12:28 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
700c rear wheel and 24x1" front. 47c2c and 49tt I think.
The 48cm came with matching sized wheels while the 46cm came with the smaller front wheel. The pic you posted is a 48cm. It's similar to the regular Ironman except for a slightly shorter top tube.
I'd like to have that model for my wife as well, I think they're pretty sweet.
Old 08-24-20, 12:35 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

The 48cm came with matching sized wheels while the 46cm came with the smaller front wheel. The pic you posted is a 48cm. It's similar to the regular Ironman except for a slightly shorter top tube.
I am going to pick it up tomorrow after work.

The FB pics the seller posted are somehow disabled for copying or I'd show you the side view. If it's a 46 rather than 48, I think we'd be in the realm where this might actually fit my dinky wife.
Old 08-24-20, 07:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
I am going to pick it up tomorrow after work.

The FB pics the seller posted are somehow disabled for copying or I'd show you the side view. If it's a 46 rather than 48, I think we'd be in the realm where this might actually fit my dinky wife.
Fits my lady, too. I was very lucky to find her a 47cm Guerciotti.

The 25” is actually 520c, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-24-20, 07:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The red one...

Originally Posted by DMC707
Given the scarcity of used bikes here lately, I brought a truckload of them to my LBS to sell for me ---

I am hoping that these machines go to homes of some new Ironman enthusiasts !

'87 Expert and '89 Master ---- theres a smoke color '90 DiamondBack MAster TG hanging on that wall as well as a passel of Cannondales too --- 10 total. (hoping to fund a new MTB build )

But I chuckle when I look at that wall now - because its a scene straight out of 1989 or '90 now !

... a 54cm?
Old 08-25-20, 07:10 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
... a 54cm?

Yes - 54 ,

Darn thing was the first to sell --- of course that would not surprise an IM enthusiast at all
Old 08-25-20, 03:51 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by DMC707
Yes - 54 ,

Darn thing was the first to sell --- of course that would not surprise an IM enthusiast at all
Chagrin.
Old 08-25-20, 07:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

There was an angle of the poor photo that made me think it was a funny bike. It's got symmetrical wheels. 700c.

I hope it's close enough of a fit for the little lady.

It's kind of a relief, it sure makes the tire situation simple.
Old 08-25-20, 07:20 PM
texaspandj

There was an angle of the poor photo that made me think it was a funny bike. It's got symmetrical wheels. 700c.

I hope it's close enough of a fit for the little lady.

It's kind of a relief, it sure makes the tire situation simple.
Yeah the headtube is small on the 700c meanwhile the smaller wheel requires the larger headtube.
Well you got the shorter top tube going for you, hopefully it'll work.
Old 08-27-20, 08:27 PM
texaspandj

It's so close to the ride Saturday. The 100 mile ride will not be a walk in the park like it is for RT but I feel confident I'll at least complete it. My biggest hindrance is the "Covid 15" I'm packing.
My plan is to ride four 25 mile out and backs. May seem a little boring to most but I like riding the same route and doesn't bore me...yeah I'm that guy. I'll use a different Ironman for each 25 mile segment.
Speaking of which I'm hopefully getting another bike tomorrow. Details forthcoming.
I'm most excited about stocking an ice chest with rest stop snacks. I mean finally it'll have exactly what I want.
BTW forecast high for Saturday is 102°...Heehaw! I'm not that concerned as my plan is to start off when the sun comes up.
Later Ironkids.
​​​​​
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-27-20, 09:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I rode 65 miles Wednesday night, just to check the engine. Best I've felt in months. Most of this summer I felt like sludge, could barely get out of my own way, being passed by old ladies on walkers and kids on Big Wheels. Partly that's because I insisted on mostly midday rides in the heat, around 1-2 hours each riding according to heart rate and perceived effort. Gruesome but it makes the cooler morning and night rides feel easier.

I aimed for 16 mph average and tried to minimize my urge to surge on some Strava segments, but ended up with a few PRs anyway. Mostly because of a moderate tailwind. With 3,175 feet of elevation gain that's sustainable for me. (My phone with Wahoo Fitness claimed I averaged 17 mph, but... nah. I see lots of GPS tracking glitches, and it claimed I rode 67 miles when I know it was 65. So I'm sticking with the bike computer's data for 16.2 mph over 65 miles.)

That'll be my only workout ride this week. I'm saving it for Saturday or Sunday. I may do an easy 30 minutes on the errand bike tomorrow, or just walk.

I'll probably start late afternoon/early evening and ride until midnight:thirty. I'm not a morning person by any stretch, never was even in the Navy when my shift started at 0430z. Hated it then, and still associate morning rides with "work," the complete opposite of what I want from bicycling. My body doesn't even begin to wake up until afternoon, so a 6 pm start will feel like my "morning."

The hard part will be the usual neck and shoulder spasms after 50 miles. If I ride the same route I did yesterday, I'll stop home around the 50-75 mile mark, depending on how I feel, rest for a bit and use the industrial strength percussion massager on the neck and back. I should be able to finish after that.

I'll probably do the first half or two-thirds west of town, mostly rural. Then rest and massage at home, and finish heading east toward town for a change of scenery. There will be less traffic late at night so I'll have some wide, smoothly paved boulevards mostly to myself for the final lap.

I've been piddling with a few different components on the Ironman, mostly a Shimano 600 Tricolor RD (which I didn't realize until recently is an 8-speed early Ultegra), and Shimano L422 Light Action friction shifters, just for giggles. The L422 was designed for 6-speed, but easily pulls enough cable for 7 and might even do an 8 speed cassette. Nothing wrong with the original Suntour GPX components, but when I had to replace some frayed shifter cables I decided to swap some components around. The Suntour RD was really grungy and the Shimano 600 RD was clean and the two derailleurs are so similar they feel the same while riding.

Took awhile to dial in the L422 shifters, but it turned out the main problem was my chains were so badly worn. I forgot to track the mileage, which I used to do pretty methodically when I switched between identical pairs of KMC Z-72 waxed chains. But I misplaced my crock pot with paraffin a few months ago and switched to Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry and Gold. Both are very slick, but as some reviews (including Friction Facts) indicated, slicker lubes don't necessarily translate to longer life. My chains wore out much quicker using the Rock 'n' Roll lubes, despite feeling slicker from the PTFE.

So when I swapped from the cracked wheels with SunRace 7-speed 13-28 chromed freewheel to a borrowed wheelset with new 12-28 cassette, the chain kept skipping. It was just as bad when I tried an old but virtually unused Suntour Alpha 13-26 freewheel. Finally occurred to me that all three of my chains were worn out. After switching the Ironman back to the 13-28 SunRace freewheel and new chain, everything ran smoothly.

I'll probably keep the L422 friction shifters on for the weekend century ride, just because I'm determined to make them work just to prove a point. And they do tend to make me slow down a bit and choose my shifts more carefully. Downshifting to a larger cog is easy -- stop pedaling for a moment, shift until I feel resistance, then start pedaling again, trim if needed. But upshifting is a bit trickier -- it's not in muscle memory yet.

Then I'll switch back to the Suntour GPX group, now that I've cleaned them up. Although I'm tempted to leave the Shimano L422 left/front shifter in place -- it's smoother than the GPX.
Old 08-28-20, 06:03 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

My plan is to ride four 25 mile out and backs.
May seem a little boring to most but I like riding the same route and doesn't bore me...yeah I'm that guy.
I'll use a different Ironman for each 25 mile segment.
​​​​​
I'd be soooo tempted to "miscount." Kudos.

Originally Posted by canklecat
I'll probably start late afternoon/early evening and ride until midnight:thirty. I'm not a morning person by any stretch, never was even in the Navy when my shift started at 0430z. Hated it then, and still associate morning rides with "work," the complete opposite of what I want from bicycling. My body doesn't even begin to wake up until afternoon, so a 6 pm start will feel like my "morning."

The hard part will be the usual neck and shoulder spasms after 50 miles.

I'll probably do the first half or two-thirds west of town, mostly rural. Then rest and massage at home, and finish heading east toward town for a change of scenery.
Hang tough, Ironman.

I do not have permission to "rip it" this weekend, so a sub-5 is not going to happen, or the more likely humiliation of failing at it.

Rain is predicted tomorrow; we'll be doing our virtual HnHH on Sunday.
It will be a combination of Madison County (ILL) trails and county roads. Around 1700' of up/down.
Mostly flat, some rollers in the upper miles, a sprint section where I hit 29.86 last Sunday.
My lady would have been there in Texas, so she'll be with me here, and we'll crank it out.
We can go pretty early if no one else wants to come along, which will be nice.
Riding the '88 Expert, the one gifted by TriBiker19 with help from the Empire.
Sticking to "old school" wheels, the original RXXXLite box section carbons.
I forgot to bring my Centurion jersey, but it's an '89 and clashes.
A man's gotta know his fashion.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-28-20 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 07:03 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I'm missing my Classic.
Is this a 62 or a 64? I can't get a better picture or measurement and it is quite a drive. The tape is from above the BB and the angle throws me off.

Centurion method 62mm or 64mm?
Old 08-28-20, 09:23 AM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Iron kids 100s

I had hoped to virtually play along with the 8/29 Centurion Century crew.

Three weeks ago I did 60miles and 3400', and felt fine afterwards, some neck strain during. My longest ride in 35 years, and on the Ironman. I felt good about the 100/4300 flat route I was going to drive out to do.

Since then the smoke has been bad many days, and work/family have squeezed opportunities, not much training has happened. And, my plan to drive out to a flatter region would put me where the air has tended to be worse.

I will ride my Ironman tomorrow and appreciate the old steel. It will be closer to home, hence hillier and less likely to be far. I'm going to try to be smart about how I feel, if my throat isn't raspy I should be able to do a Metric version.
Old 08-28-20, 11:14 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by tgot

Three weeks ago I did 60miles and 3400', and felt fine afterwards, some neck strain during. My longest ride in 35 years, and on the Ironman. I felt good about the 100/4300 flat route I was going to drive out to do.

Since then the smoke has been bad many days, and work/family have squeezed opportunities, not much training has happened. And, my plan to drive out to a flatter region would put me where the air has tended to be worse.

I will ride my Ironman tomorrow and appreciate the old steel. It will be closer to home, hence hillier and less likely to be far. I'm going to try to be smart about how I feel, if my throat isn't raspy I should be able to do a Metric version.
Metric version? That's AWESOME!
I like that.
Old 08-28-20, 11:16 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Classtime
I'm missing my Classic.
Is this a 62 or a 64? I can't get a better picture or measurement and it is quite a drive. The tape is from above the BB and the angle throws me off.

Centurion method 62mm or 64mm?
Wish I could help but I only know Ironman sizes by length of headtube.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 08-28-20, 12:00 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I never thought to participate in this HnHH because it is never HnH here. I'll ride long tomorrow on the Turbo but in temps to mid 70s.
Old 08-28-20, 12:15 PM
texaspandj

Generally I take Nov and Dec off then resume riding in Jan in preparation (hopefully) for some spring triathlons.
But I talked my cycling buddy into, instead of a complete off season how bout ; Sept same riding, October we get some moutain bikes and ride them thru the off season. He agreed. So he's been on FB market looking and I've been on craigslist. I asked him are we going modern or vintage? He said just looking for the best deal for 200 or less. Anyway I found a great deal in Houston (3 hours away) for a modern trail bike. So for me that means slanted TT, shocks, and disc brakes. So I called my son and asked him to get it for me (since he lives in Houston) because it will sell quickly . However by the time my son emailed them it was sold. Yep, that cannondale was a good deal. My second option was a vintage bike that I picked up today. And here it is.
Old 08-28-20, 03:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by tgot

NO worries, take a picture.
Old 08-28-20, 03:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Generally I take Nov and Dec off then resume riding in Jan in preparation (hopefully) for some spring triathlons.
But I talked my cycling buddy into, instead of a complete off season how bout ; Sept same riding, October we get some moutain bikes and ride them thru the off season. He agreed. So he's been on FB market looking and I've been on craigslist. I asked him are we going modern or vintage? He said just looking for the best deal for 200 or less. Anyway I found a great deal in Houston (3 hours away) for a modern trail bike. So for me that means slanted TT, shocks, and disc brakes. So I called my son and asked him to get it for me (since he lives in Houston) because it will sell quickly . However by the time my son emailed them it was sold. Yep, that cannondale was a good deal. My second option was a vintage bike that I picked up today. And here it is.
That picture is really something.
Old 08-28-20, 03:35 PM
texaspandj

Here it is. It's a 1x...7. Currently set up as a street Bike. I have all the take off parts to turn it more mountain bike like but reportedly not so good for trail riding especially compared to modern.
My favorite is the street tires with the Hot Wheels red stripe. Also like the '88 purple rain with a purple hue this one has a reddish type of tint. Difficult to see.
I don't know much about trail riding but I just want to have fun. Bonus, it's a Diamond Back.
Not much to be done with this as the PO did s great job. Maybe change saddle and add a vintage avenir bottle cage.I actually plan to leave it a 1x and add the FD to help keep the chain on.
Old 08-28-20, 08:19 PM
texaspandj

Well, I shaved my legs, wiped down bikes, removed saddle bags and aired up tires.
Ice chest will be filled with two bags of ice, 6 pack of Dr Pepper, water, koolaid, watermelon, pimento cheese sandwich. And lastly celebration Pizza.
It was a high temp of 106° today. Heat index 110°. Heat advisory is out for all weekend. I guess it really will be a HnH.
Unlike C-Cat, my best biorythm time is noon. But morning will have to do with those highTemps.
Later Ironkids.
Old 08-29-20, 07:33 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

First day off to mess with the pink wonder since I got it.

It still shifts! All the cables look rotten and rusted but it shifts. I've ordered the "jagwire" cable set off eBay in white. It'll be a pretty clean look.. Quotes because at that price I question it's authenticity but I've got the same stuff on my Spectrum and it works great.

For price and availability, I am going with black aero hood covers. The white looks good but cost 5/8ths what the entire bike cost me.

Brake pads are in the mail.

The gearing is too tall for a tiny lady but I didn't want to buy a new 165mm crankset so I won an auction on 50 and 38 sugino rings that'll fit. So if anyone wants some biopace rings, let me know.

Celeste tape, I saw that once on one of these and loved the look.

I've got some 25mm gatorskins I haven't been using I'll mount. There's a voice in the back of my head screaming 650b I'm trying to ignore. We'll see how much she likes it first.

Everything else is just re-greasing and cleaning.

I am at about $160 total, so still in a pretty good place if she doesn't fit and I decide to just move it along. It'll be close enough this evening to get her to stand over it and find out. I'm considering saving it for her October birthday since she doesn't know I have it yet, but I'd rather it get ridden before that.

The project will only move as fast as the post office, so I'll update in a week I expect. Unless something funny stumps me.
Old 08-29-20, 03:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

First day off to mess with the pink wonder since I got it.

It still shifts! All the cables look rotten and rusted but it shifts. I've ordered the "jagwire" cable set off eBay in white. It'll be a pretty clean look.. Quotes because at that price I question it's authenticity but I've got the same stuff on my Spectrum and it works great.

For price and availability, I am going with black aero hood covers. The white looks good but cost 5/8ths what the entire bike cost me.

Brake pads are in the mail.

The gearing is too tall for a tiny lady but I didn't want to buy a new 165mm crankset so I won an auction on 50 and 38 sugino rings that'll fit. So if anyone wants some biopace rings, let me know.

Celeste tape, I saw that once on one of these and loved the look.

I've got some 25mm gatorskins I haven't been using I'll mount. There's a voice in the back of my head screaming 650b I'm trying to ignore. We'll see how much she likes it first.

Everything else is just re-greasing and cleaning.

I am at about $160 total, so still in a pretty good place if she doesn't fit and I decide to just move it along. It'll be close enough this evening to get her to stand over it and find out. I'm considering saving it for her October birthday since she doesn't know I have it yet, but I'd rather it get ridden before that.

The project will only move as fast as the post office, so I'll update in a week I expect. Unless something funny stumps me.
Celeste housing would look great on that. I just happened to have a new set of Jagwire housing in Celeste, which you can have for nothing, my treat. If, for some reason the bike doesn’t turn out or work out, I’d like a shot at it.
Old 08-29-20, 03:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Well, I shaved my legs, wiped down bikes, removed saddle bags and aired up tires.
Ice chest will be filled with two bags of ice, 6 pack of Dr Pepper, water, koolaid, watermelon, pimento cheese sandwich. And lastly celebration Pizza.
It was a high temp of 106° today. Heat index 110°. Heat advisory is out for all weekend. I guess it really will be a HnH.
Unlike C-Cat, my best biorythm time is noon. But morning will have to do with those highTemps.
Later Ironkids.
I didn’t even shave my face.
I rode 48.12 miles and climbed 3,033’
I’ve not ridden the Ironman a mile, so it gets looked at today.
My ride director has decided on a rolling hills “triple dog,”
which I hear is a figure 8 plus another loop, 108 miles.
We roll at 8.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.