Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Super Grizzly Build

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-23-20, 12:12 AM
WOTWU

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Schwinn Breeze, Bridgestone MB-4 & XO-2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I recently acquired an 86-87 lugged Bianchi Super Grizzly (frame and fork only) that I'd like to build up as an all rounder/gravel bike in a Rivendell-esque fashion. Are there lighter 26in wheels that are tubeless compatible and intended for cantis or V brakes? I really want to avoid a disc brake conversion.
Likes For WOTWU:
Old 09-23-20, 12:45 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by WOTWU
I recently acquired an 86-87 lugged Bianchi Super Grizzly (frame and fork only) that I'd like to build up as an all rounder/gravel bike in a Rivendell-esque fashion. Are there lighter 26in wheels that are tubeless compatible and intended for cantis or V brakes? I really want to avoid a disc brake conversion.
Good plan, ef the discs, most rim brake rims will work, there are less 26in rims nowdays but still plenty, not sure if there are many light, sturdy, tough ones, light would be my least important ask.

We need pics, good ones and plenty of them plz.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-23-20, 03:22 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Yes pics are a must. I sometimes miss my Grizzly but it was too small and needed to go, plus I wanted to simplify things and have an all 700c stable.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-23-20, 05:51 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
The world certainly has changed... wondering about finding 26" rims... and wondering about not having to do a disc conversion...

I just think of 26" rims being everywhere- and since they're fairly 'modern,' they're all aluminum... so finding a decent 26" set was always pretty easy. I don't have a disc brake bike, and the thought of doing a conversion hasn't even crossed my mind. I guess things are different now.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-23-20, 06:55 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
What's wrong with the wheels it came with?

Prebuilt wheels for MTB that aren't disc? Probably not. Times have changed. Also, those are probably 130 OLD wheels on there, which is no longer the standard for MTB. You could lace new rims to those, or build up new wheels yourself. That's what would have been done in the 80s. Nobody bought "wheelsets", they did not exist. Complete assembled wheels were only for cheap bikes.

Or just get new tires and don't worry about it. Tires are most of it, and easy to swap.
Old 09-23-20, 07:19 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
I would probably look for a used Rockhopper or similar as a wheel donor.
Old 09-23-20, 09:33 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
You could go late '00's XC racer style and do some Mavic Crossmax wheels and get rim brake and tubeless but those won't match your desired aesthetic. There isn't much out there for quality pre-built 26" wheels these days. There is the classic Rhynolite/Shimano Deore rim combo but it's not light, think 2300 grams for the wheelset:

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...57s06gm3gsu3q2

To get all your criteria, you are going to have to go used and get something like XT or XTR hubs on Matrix Single Tracks or Mavic M231s (pretty narrow so could affect your tire size) or go custom built. With the exception of Mavic rims, you'll need to convert all of these to tubeless. Tubeless conversions are a well-worn path and kits are available from Stans, Orange Seal, etc.

I just found this guy through Instagram. His MTB collection is top notch. You might be able to find some other ideas on blingy and/or light wheels by looking through his collection. https://www.steelfightsback.com/

Last edited by tricky; 09-23-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-23-20, 09:46 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by tricky
You could go late '00's XC racer style and do some Mavic Crossmax wheels and get rim brake and tubeless but those won't match your desired aesthetic. There isn't much out there for quality pre-built 26" wheels these days. There is the classic Rhynolite/Shimano Deore rim combo but it's not light, think 2300 grams for the wheelset:
That's what I run on my Rivendell Clem, but homebrewed because I wanted silver non disc hubs. rhynolites aren't that heavy, 550g IIRC. The non disk Deore hubs are also considerably lighter. So it wouldn't be a fly, but could be reasonably light.

I'd have to look it up, but a late 80s super grizzly is probably going to be spaced for 130, or modern road hubs. That would be a better starting point. I don't see an off the shelf solution for this, other than finding some vintage wheels, or building up new ones.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 09-23-20, 10:11 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's what I run on my Rivendell Clem, but homebrewed because I wanted silver non disc hubs. rhynolites aren't that heavy, 550g IIRC. The non disk Deore hubs are also considerably lighter. So it wouldn't be a fly, but could be reasonably light.

I'd have to look it up, but a late 80s super grizzly is probably going to be spaced for 130, or modern road hubs. That would be a better starting point. I don't see an off the shelf solution for this, other than finding some vintage wheels, or building up new ones.
Yeah, you are right. This site claims 550 grams. https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Su...eore-disc.html Still not a 410 gram open pro, but not as heavy a rim as I thought. Maybe that's why they felt pretty good commuting with some Rene Herse tires despite the overall wheel weight being up there.

@WOTWU what's the eventual intended use? If you are commuting, touring or mountain bike trails and you want low maintenance, I would do Rhyno Lites. If the Super Grizzly is mostly going to be a garage queen with occasional rides, you could get away with something more weight weenie. Knobbies vs a light slick like a Rene Herse will affect how light your wheel setup will be too.
Old 09-23-20, 11:03 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Prebuilt wheels for MTB that aren't disc? Probably not. Times have changed. Also, those are probably 130 OLD wheels on there, which is no longer the standard for MTB. You could lace new rims to those, or build up new wheels yourself. That's what would have been done in the 80s. Nobody bought "wheelsets", they did not exist. Complete assembled wheels were only for cheap bikes.

Or just get new tires and don't worry about it. Tires are most of it, and easy to swap.
OP has F+F only.
Old 09-23-20, 11:13 AM
merziac

You should put an ask in the ISO-WTB thread for wheels, somebody here may have a set they will let go.

Check at a bike co-op if you have one near you and CL for a donor bike that could give you other parts as well, especially small fiddly bit that can be a PITA to source,

Even if you can't find a nice set, you can get started, much of this can be one step forward, two steps back when fussing with sourcing parts for a build.

If you have a donor to work off of it can help you by swapping a part or showing you what won't work so you can get the right part, a bird in the hand and all that.
Old 09-23-20, 12:26 PM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...57s06gm3gsu3q2

To get all your criteria, you are going to have to go used and get something like XT or XTR hubs on Matrix Single Tracks or Mavic M231s (pretty narrow so could affect your tire size) or go custom built. With the exception of Mavic rims, you'll need to convert all of these to tubeless. Tubeless conversions are a well-worn path and kits are available from Stans, Orange Seal, etc.

I just found this guy through Instagram. His MTB collection is top notch. You might be able to find some other ideas on blingy and/or light wheels by looking through his collection. https://www.steelfightsback.com/
I think I had an older pair of those wheels (pre-disc brake hub). pretty sure I ran one of them over with my old Jeep on accident. Didn't even need to be trued. heavy as all hell though.

In Baltimore the local Co-op will lace wheels for $50. I think they'll even walk you through how, so there should be a way to get decent wheels built for not an exorbitant amount of money. I have a mis-matched pair of wheels on a bike....maybe that wheel didn't survive the jeep... whatever, they're still tough as nails.
Old 09-23-20, 12:34 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by merziac
OP has F+F only.
Ugh, oops. That's what comes with reading posts before coffee...
Old 09-23-20, 12:39 PM
merziac

Ugh, oops. That's what comes with reading posts before coffee...
No worries, we're always sooo happy to help.
Old 09-23-20, 02:01 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
OP Since you have a F+ F only I might suggest finding a donor MTB with a nice XT or LX component group to transfer the wheels and components off of. Might be cheaper than buying all that individually and it seems like MTBs are coming down in price a bit since the covid crazy market peak. and yes PICTURES!
Old 09-23-20, 02:35 PM
dunkleosteus
on the wheels of steel

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
BWW has a tubeless rim-brake wheelset that comes in 26 https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/St...wheel-set.html . I just got one for my own build. The wheels seem light, look nice, and a 26x2.3 tire seated no problem on them. I still haven't taken them for a ride yet but I'm stoked on it. Probably getting a donor bike would've been an easier and cheaper way to get this build rolling, but I wanted to try out some new components on it, like a wide cassette and clutch derailleur. Wheel see if it pays off!

Last edited by dunkleosteus; 09-23-20 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 02:57 PM
Salamandrine 

A couple points:

Those late 80s Super Grizzlies are super nice mountain bikes. One of the very best from that period. If you wanted to spend money to outfit like a new Rivendell, it wouldn't be wasted on it. That said, of course you can save money by finding a donor bike, sifting through coop parts, pilfering peoples' junk bins, etc.

Building wheels is fun and you can get what you want. Rhynolites are plenty light, but with custom you can go lighter if you want. Keep in mind tires make more difference than the wheels overall.

'Converting' to disc brakes isn't really practical. You'd need a new fork, and/or to get the frame and fork modified by a frame builder. Canti brakes work very well. Unless you're riding in mud all the time, function is kind of a wash.

It would be a good idea to measure the space between the rear dropouts to find spacing. You'll need to decide whether to leave the frame spacing at 130 (if it is), or realign it to 135 to use modern MTB hubs.

Originally Posted by merziac
No worries, we're always sooo happy to help.
I'm not too worried. It's hardly the first time I've stuck my foot in my mouth.
Old 09-23-20, 07:41 PM
WOTWU

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I only have the frame and fork. I don't have a wheelset for this build yet.
Old 09-23-20, 07:55 PM
merziac

I only have the frame and fork. I don't have a wheelset for this build yet.
He got that after the fact.
Old 10-03-20, 05:56 PM
WOTWU

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
As far as my use of the bike, I definitely want to use it to its full potential. Hit some gravel, ride a couple centuries and bike to the mountains.

Also I'm considering Lauterwasser bars, sacrilege?

Still debating whether to go tubeless or the standard wheel route. Slowly working on getting the parts in order.
Old 10-13-20, 10:54 AM
WOTWU

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Any recommended derailleurs for 9 speed 11-40t cassette?
Old 10-13-20, 11:13 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Any recommended derailleurs for 9 speed 11-40t cassette?
Go with Campy if you can. I have a soft spot for putting Euro parts on Euro bikes.
Old 10-13-20, 11:36 AM
WOTWU

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Go with Campy if you can. I have a soft spot for putting Euro parts on Euro bikes.
Out of my range. Also this Super Grizzly is Japanese. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-13-20, 11:39 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Out of my range. Also this Super Grizzly is Japanese. Any other suggestions?
Should be able to find a 90's Shimano Deore XT
Old 10-13-20, 12:11 PM
Salamandrine 

I assume you want it to index? Shimano Deore M591 are pretty solid, but recently discontinued. Maybe Acera.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.