Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Buying replacement parts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Buying replacement parts

Old 04-21-20, 07:31 AM
mzani41

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying replacement parts

Hello,

I need some help buying replacement parts for my wife's bike. She has a 2008 Marin Kentfield FS 19 inch bike (see link below).

Her chain snapped and the crankset is rusty so I was looking to replace both. I can't seem to find the exact parts listed from the website so I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction for the closest equivalent parts that are available for purchase.

Link for the bike
www dot rei dot com /product/762217/marin-kentfield-fs-bike-2008

Parts I'm looking to replace:

Crankset SR Suntour NEX, 48/38/28
Chain UG5

Thanks

Mike
Old 04-21-20, 08:47 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Any 6-7-8 speed chain (KMC, SRAM, Shimano) will be fine.

It appears your crank uses a square taper 122mm bottom bracket. Unless you get another that uses the same length and interface, you'll also need to replace the bottom bracket with the correct length for the new crankset.

New Crankset should be close to the same gearing and crank arm length.

You'll need a crank removal tool, chain tool, and if replacing the BB whatever tools are required to remove the old and install the new.
Old 04-21-20, 08:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
First consider replacing the cog set too as new chains and old cog teeth often don't like each other.

Second It's quite possible to match the crank with another model/brand as long as the BB axle length suggested matches the BB you currently have. If not then a replacement BB would handle that aspect, maintaining the chain line. Of course even with an exact same crankset expect to need to do some fine tuning of frt der adjustments.

Chains are pretty interchangeable if the chain width (or intended number of rear cogs) is kept the same. We like the SRAM PC830 for a relatively low cost and well working 7 speed chain.

BTW thanks for including a written out link to the bike. You are already either smarter or better motivated then some first time posters we see. Andy
Old 04-21-20, 09:54 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you want to keep the amount of work and money at a minimum you might consider just replacing the chain after knocking the rust off of the crankset and cogset. Surface rust does not always necessitate replacement. If the gears are not heavily worn (the OP does not state how much use the bike has had) they may not need to be changed. If the chain does not skip on the old gears you are done.
Old 04-21-20, 10:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
SR Suntour XR-T will fit for around $30. Need to find out crank arm length 170/175).

14-28 7 speed might be a freewheel rather than a cassette. Need to find out, but Sunrace/Shimano freewheel or 13-28 cassette will work for around $20 or so.

A new chain Sram 830 for $15.

John
Old 04-21-20, 10:56 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'd also suggest trying to free up the existing cranks with a dishwashing scouring pad or a wire brush (even a BBQ cleaner brush) and more WD40 and the rust should come right off. Then if it all frees up, use a thicker oil on the chain and wipe a thin coat of oil on the cranks where it was rusty and hopefully you'll be good to go.
If the bike is rusty, there's a good chance the brake and gear cables have also gummed up in the housings which makes braking and gear shifting bad. Either get some oil on the cables by dripping it down the ends or (better) remove the cables and oil them or even replace them.
Be aware if you get a new chain, you will need a chain removal tool and it's very possible you'll need to change the rear gear freewheel as well (a Shimano, 14-28, 7-speed) which is another special tool.