Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Considering a Miyata seven 21

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 11:37 PM
iorgil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering a Miyata seven 21

I'm considering a Miyata seven 21 from the 90's to fix up off CL. As the Vancouver market is red hot for bikes, it's hard to find anything that's in good shape for a fair price. Would really appreciate all your input on a Miyata seven 21 posted at $650 - I know it's not a fair price, but am hoping that at about $450, that it would be somewhat fair. I am unfortunately unable upload the link.
Old 05-16-20, 03:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Without pictures, it is all but impossible to evaluate a vintage bicycle. That said, the asking price seems to be very high to me.
Old 05-16-20, 06:48 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
This one, right ? 721
Old 05-16-20, 09:46 AM
iorgil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That’s the one! I was unable to upload any pictures as well as I’m still a ‘newbie’.
Old 05-16-20, 09:56 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Nice bike,prices asked in Vancouver can be ridiculous. $650 is ridiculous.
Old 05-16-20, 10:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It has had some upgrades and Vancouver is a very hot market but that price is far too high. Looks to be circa 1991-1992. Picture's not great and it looks like there may be significant wear on the chainrings. Original selling price would have been ~$750-$800 CDN.
Old 05-16-20, 10:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Why don't you start a WTB thread in the valuation forum? That way the posters will look around for a bike that fits your needs and which is decently priced. You'll need to state your location and the size of the frame you are looking for.

I realize that Vancouver prices are high but that is a lot of money for this bike.

Have you looked at this Nishiki?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...124892440.html
Old 05-16-20, 10:48 AM
iorgil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the great advice everyone! Agree that The price is too high, but sadly this is the reality in Vancouver.

I didn’t know there was a thread for WTB, so I will do just that!
Old 05-16-20, 10:53 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by iorgil
Thanks for the great advice everyone! Agree that The price is too high, but sadly this is the reality in Vancouver.

I didn’t know there was a thread for WTB, so I will do just that!
Just start a thread, WTB bike in Vancouver or something like that. The posters will help you identify some likely looking bikes in your size.
Old 05-16-20, 10:57 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
What is your leg inseam or your height?

How do you intend to use your bike?

At these prices have you considered a new bike?

I can tell you that the 7xx Miyatas are less common than most bikes on vancouver cl. I have seen maybe between 10 to 15 in the past 3 years. The 9xx is even less common. Maybe around 5 or so in the last 3 years. Different sizes too. My favorite was a pink 91x that was accompanied by contact information worthy of the Soup Nazi. The top line (Team, Pro) I haven't seen yet (except for 1 that was in the interior somwhere - I forget, maybe Penticton). Within the same year and line, higher numbered ones were "better".

If I had no bikes and was going to buy one today from craigslist this would not be my choice on account of I would prefer fenders for Vancouver, since I would like to ride year round and don't want to get too dirty. If I had another bike for wet weather and errand duty, maybe? Of course, your usage might be different, so that is something to consider.

I got my 86 710 for $260 CAD three years ago out in Surrey. I use it on sunny days. It's a lovely bike. I don't use it as much as my other bikes because I am overweight so I prefer slightly larger tires (I hear the 85 and earlier can handle one size up so I am on the lookout for one). Of course, today's prices compared to three years ago seem unhinged to me.

BTW that Nishiki in the above post is what I would get (if in good condition). That is the top line tourer from Nishiki if I'm not mistaken. It is less frequently seen than the more common International. I have only seen maybe 5 of those in the past 3 years. This one though has been converted from drop to upright bars. And it does have the suntour symmetric shifters, which is kind of difficult to find an adapter for if you want to have a better looking conversion for the shifters.