Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Today is seatpost anti-corrosion day

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 04:37 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts

Title says it. Take out Mr. Seatpost and do what needs doing. My bikes are Al or Steel, I'll be using auto wheel bearing grease to keep bad things from happening. I know nothing about carbonite.

Have a nice day

Last edited by grizzly59; 06-08-20 at 04:44 PM.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 06-08-20, 05:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Was that a question?
Old 06-08-20, 07:14 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
"Don't grease the grapevine!"
Old 06-08-20, 07:37 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Title says it. Take out Mr. Seatpost and do what needs doing. My bikes are Al or Steel, I'll be using auto wheel bearing grease to keep bad things from happening. I know nothing about carbonite.

Have a nice day
is carbonite the gritty stuff for carbon fiber seatposts and bikes?
last summer I got a beautiful GUNNAR CrossHairs, somewhat customized old-man style with a taller headtube.
i was jones-ing for a super SPIFFY over priced NITTO seatpost - S65 Crystal Fellow.
Turns out GUNNAR (aka Mr. Richard Schwinn) makes the seat tubes to the upper limit of the standard seat tube size.
And it turns out that NITTO ends up and the minimum seatpost size after all the polishing and beautification.
I could not stop the seat post from slipping. The fine folks at RivBike where I got the seat post offered to knurl it for me if I would tell them the height I needed. (you know, so no one would see the knurling, it'd be in the seatube....)
My LBS gave me a teaspoon for the carbonite grease with the grit in it. I am using that for my seatpost ...... anti-grease? I dunno, it's giving me a very slight interference fit that I need. Working great for about 9 months or so.

Anyway. I thought I'd add a pointless story to kind of what looked to be a pointless thread. Just have the moderators move the whole deal to "Foo"......
happy trails.
Old 06-08-20, 08:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,855 Times in 2,305 Posts
This kind of thread is actually a really good reminder. because I believe that periodic cleaning and prep (lube, assembly paste, anti seize application) is the best answer for galvanic corrosion, or just plain corrosion. Andy
Old 06-08-20, 08:37 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I didn't know carbonite was a thing. I thought it was slang for carbon fiber Star Wars bikes. I forgot, if you have a quill stem you might as well do that too.

Last edited by grizzly59; 06-08-20 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-09-20, 07:18 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
On my bikes I also apply anti-corrosion above the clamp. My favorite is Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Concours Metal Sealant, keeps the mirror-like shine from fading after applying metal polish.
Old 06-09-20, 07:10 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
As part of my spring maintenance I pull the seat posts and quills from my bike and re-grease them. This is just prudent.

@mrv what is the knurling of a seatpost that you speak of? I own a Rivendell and my seatpost is always slipping so I bought a Nitto S65 from Rivendell and it slips even worse than the no name one. I assume that seatpost and its highly polished surface isn't helping. A few days ago I pulled out the post and start cleaning the grease off and I will try some carbon paste next. Though I am interested in this knurling process which I have never head of. What's the process? If you or someone can enlighten me that would be great.
Old 06-09-20, 08:06 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
what is the knurling of a seatpost that you speak of? I own a Rivendell and my seatpost is always slipping so I bought a Nitto S65 from Rivendell and it slips even worse than the no name one.
howdy! Knurling is typically a machining process to "upset" metal and add texture to a round metal surface - like say for instance you're in a beginning machine shop class and they have you make a meat tenderizer out of aluminum. You would use an aluminum shaft for the handle, and knurl the handle so when you give the meat tenderizer to your wife, it doesn't slip out of her hand. (I'll follow up with a pic of the meat tenderizer in the hypothetical example....)
Here's what the tools look like: https://www.google.com/search?channe...=knurling+tool
- I have seen them (and hypothetically used them) on a lathe.
- The google is indicating you might be able to buy a knurling hand tool for not toooo much money, and do it your self. (Possibly Andrew R Stewart could comment further. I have seen many many many insightful and excellent pro-tips from him on bike building.)
- I am thinking if you just get the simple hand tool, then you "upset" some of the seat post material below what's above the seat post, you can develop some slight interference with the seat tube and give the seat tube collar (correct term? not sure....) something to grip to when you tighten it.

Since you bought your bike from the fine folks at Rivendell, definitely contact them forthwith. I only bought the seatpost from them and they offered to help me out by knurling the post (below what I would have sticking out of the seat tube). I try to support RivBike every now and then.

As previously mentioned - so far I am having success with the carbon-paste. I'll probably be spraying frame-saver in the bike soon, so I'll have to re-do the carbon paste.
Post here when you get it worked out! I'd like to know.
Cheers!

knurly, dude...
Old 06-13-20, 03:24 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Thanks for the lesson in knurling. Like I said I have never seen this done on a seat post and it makes perfect sense.
Old 06-13-20, 04:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
so when you give the meat tenderizer to your wife, it doesn't slip out of her hand.
Which gives her a good enough grip to hit you with multiple times until you quit picking at the food.
Likes For dedhed: