Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The most effective anti-aging workout, backed by science...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 10:53 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

https://www.mdlinx.com/article/the-m...vening+Snippet

Is HIIT and endurance training. First of all, if you're exercising, whatever it is and it's sustainable, then you're winning. If you love resistance training by all means, keep lifting. But if you want to methylate your DNA, optimize telomere length and improve your longevity proteome and you're biking, then bike on. An don't forget to climb a few hills.
Old 08-25-20, 11:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
And to fuel those workouts, make sure you consume plenty of antioxidants, phytochemicals, bioflavonoids, and what other buzzwords did I forget?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-25-20, 12:09 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by pdlamb
And to fuel those workouts, make sure you consume plenty of antioxidants, phytochemicals, bioflavonoids, and what other buzzwords did I forget?
I don't find those helpful when biking.
Old 08-25-20, 01:01 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't forget to front load and follow up
Old 08-25-20, 01:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Empty the bowels pre & post workout too!
Old 08-25-20, 01:35 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
what about my restriction fragment length polymorphisms?
Old 08-25-20, 02:11 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by Troul
This I do, unless going to work, then the water flush is on work's dime.
Likes For burritos:
Old 08-25-20, 02:39 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
https://www.mdlinx.com/article/the-m...vening+Snippet

Is HIIT and endurance training. First of all, if you're exercising, whatever it is and it's sustainable, then you're winning. If you love resistance training by all means, keep lifting. But if you want to methylate your DNA, optimize telomere length and improve your longevity proteome and you're biking, then bike on. An don't forget to climb a few hills.
That's all fine, but a better indicator is to closely follow (and document) your IBU's, ABV's and assorted Scoville Units. Currently I am at 75, 8 and a million.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-25-20, 03:37 PM
kombiguy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Both my wife and my girlfriend say me telomeres are plenty long!
Likes For kombiguy:
Old 08-25-20, 03:39 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by kombiguy
Both my wife and my girlfriend say me telomeres are plenty long!
thats funny, they told me the same thing!
Old 08-25-20, 05:01 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I vote for a dislike button on BF
Old 08-25-20, 05:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
HIIT? During.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-25-20, 07:38 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I find that spending quality time with fair company slows the aging process.
Old 08-26-20, 08:43 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I heard "fair company" being used in the workplace context.
Old 08-26-20, 10:36 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Do blind people have the capacity to determine fairness in the eye candy realm. They're probably better off.
Old 08-26-20, 12:47 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Ah, BF didn't disappoint with the responses. As usual.

Ah, scientists think something......or scientists said something and then changed their mind after applying the scientific method to try to replicate the results..........it must all be FAKE NEWS. No, full stop. That's how the scientific method works. You do research, publish results. Others attempt to replicate the results and post results. You wind up with an initial study saying "alcohol consumption may lower heart health risks in moderation". They didn't say it does, say may. Then another group tries to replicate it, and cannot. That's how it goes. News sites don't use the right words and a bit of hyperbole. And here we are, BF denying science.

The article isn't great, but we didn't even bother to discuss it like adults.

That's pretty much how I feel about these topics at this point on BF. A bunch of children out to attack anything remotely resembling applying the scientific method to physiology or bicycles.
Old 08-26-20, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ah, BF didn't disappoint with the responses. As usual.

Ah, scientists think something......or scientists said something and then changed their mind after applying the scientific method to try to replicate the results..........it must all be FAKE NEWS. No, full stop. That's how the scientific method works. You do research, publish results. Others attempt to replicate the results and post results. You wind up with an initial study saying "alcohol consumption may lower heart health risks in moderation". They didn't say it does, say may. Then another group tries to replicate it, and cannot. That's how it goes. News sites don't use the right words and a bit of hyperbole. And here we are, BF denying science.

The article isn't great, but we didn't even bother to discuss it like adults.

That's pretty much how I feel about these topics at this point on BF. A bunch of children out to attack anything remotely resembling applying the scientific method to physiology or bicycles.

Fine. The article did not state that HIIT was more effective at achieving the cited benefits than endurance training, just more "efficient". I enjoy my endurance training while I would find HIIT an insufferably rigid routine, so I'm able to tolerate more than enough endurance training to make up for this supposed "efficiency gap" as I wold probably find all kinds of excuses to skip my HIIT sessions.

No matter how much science is applied, your own personal preferences are going to play a big role in selecting your workout routine.

Now, if it's ok with you, I need to comb my telomeres, they're getting so long.
Old 08-27-20, 09:39 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
As cyclists we can do the HIIT training by doing intervals at 85% max heart rate alternated with easy pedaling. Do this for 10 minutes and we have accomplished the HIIT training.
Not that "rigid" and then do what ever type of riding our little heart desires. Easy peasy.
Old 08-27-20, 11:43 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by frogman
As cyclists we can do the HIIT training by doing intervals at 85% max heart rate alternated with easy pedaling. Do this for 10 minutes and we have accomplished the HIIT training.
Not that "rigid" and then do what ever type of riding our little heart desires. Easy peasy.
Yup. I agree. That's why tennis(and other paddle ball sports like pickleball and badminton) is thought to be a very beneficial for a health POV because in incorporates a lot of mini sprints to get to the ball/shuttlecock, hence a lot of mini HIITs.
Old 08-27-20, 02:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by frogman
I think you're kidding yourself if you think 10 minutes of any kind of workout is making much of a difference, and that's not the HIIT programs I've seen described as being effective. Whatever, I really don't have enough interest in HIIT to want to find out more or argue about it. I don't want to wear heart monitors and do the kind of scheduling required to make something like that a program. I do, however, love riding someplace and riding bloody fast when and if I feel like it. I get that my preferences and aversions to structure are not yours, that was my point. HIIT is, basically, a shortcut way of getting similar benefits to those of endurance riding. If I'm riding a fairly vigorous 175-225 miles a week (which I am), there's really no good reason to add HIIT to my routines.

Even the article says the best program is the one you can stick with. Here there's a trade-off of time vs. the pleasure of JRA. I'm not losing any health benefits, and I'm not having to do a type of riding I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy. The appeal to me of cycling is it feels like play. HIIT would kill that for me.
Old 08-27-20, 04:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
HITT shouldn't be a foundation of your training or fitness workouts. Most of your workouts should be aerobic and endurance training...Use HITT once or twice a week to supplement your aerobic training. The problem with HITT is that it's very easy to over cook yourself if you do too much too frequently. Aerobic/endurance training is a lot easier on your body and can be done more frequently....Consistency beats intensity every time. The best exercise routine is the one that you can stick with and do consistently....I also strongly disagree with the article when it says that resistance training is not beneficial for anti-aging...It's been proven that resistance training and strength training is extremely beneficial for dealing with age related health issues
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-27-20, 07:32 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you're kidding yourself if you think 10 minutes of any kind of workout is making much of a difference, and that's not the HIIT programs I've seen described as being effective. Whatever, I really don't have enough interest in HIIT to want to find out more or argue about it. I don't want to wear heart monitors and do the kind of scheduling required to make something like that a program. I do, however, love riding someplace and riding bloody fast when and if I feel like it. I get that my preferences and aversions to structure are not yours, that was my point. HIIT is, basically, a shortcut way of getting similar benefits to those of endurance riding. If I'm riding a fairly vigorous 175-225 miles a week (which I am), there's really no good reason to add HIIT to my routines.

Even the article says the best program is the one you can stick with. Here there's a trade-off of time vs. the pleasure of JRA. I'm not losing any health benefits, and I'm not having to do a type of riding I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy. The appeal to me of cycling is it feels like play. HIIT would kill that for me.

I was just quoting from the HIIT article per batem. 10 minutes of 85% heart rate intervals. Maybe they don't know what they are talkijg about but I think they do.

Some of us, me included, like the high intensity workouts. I alternate my rides with high intensity stuff and longer easy rides. I enjoy this regimen.

You don't have to follow the HIIT program, thats your perogative. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-27-20, 10:26 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
The longest living population, with the highest number of centenarians per capita, is the Okinawans.
The second longest living population is the Seventh Day Adventists.
These 2 groups of people aren't exactly known for their exercises. What they're known for is eating a lot of plants and relatively very little animal protein.
And in the case of the Okinawans, they don't need much medications to live long, meaning, they're not living longer due to drugs (but they do suffer from memory loss, I guess this is one of the consequences of living so long).

If you're into anti-aging, then diet plays a much more important role than any exercising routing ever will.
Old 08-28-20, 03:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I am, by temperament, an HIIT kind of guy. Until this year, I rode with my club a lot. This meant moderate rate of speed (12-14 mph) for longer distances (40-60 mi.) in group rides of 10-15 riders. This forced me to ride at the group pace instead of my own. I came to dread group rides. This year, thanks to COVID, I ride solo or with my GF. Now my rides are 15-30 miles at a higher pace that includes segments of HIIT The result is that I ride more often, am climbing better (since I climb at my pace) and am enjoying being on the bike a lot more. I'm also smoother, stronger and faster than I've been in the past few years. On Strava climb segments I've gone from being in the bottom 25% to being in the middle. In the faster sprint type segments I'm usually in the top 20% and on one segment I actually have the fastest time in 2020. I feel better and I've lost 10 lb. At age 74...I'll take it.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-28-20, 04:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bruce19
I am, by temperament, an HIIT kind of guy. Until this year, I rode with my club a lot. This meant moderate rate of speed (12-14 mph) for longer distances (40-60 mi.) in group rides of 10-15 riders. This forced me to ride at the group pace instead of my own. I came to dread group rides. This year, thanks to COVID, I ride solo or with my GF. Now my rides are 15-30 miles at a higher pace that includes segments of HIIT The result is that I ride more often, am climbing better (since I climb at my pace) and am enjoying being on the bike a lot more. I'm also smoother, stronger and faster than I've been in the past few years. On Strava climb segments I've gone from being in the bottom 25% to being in the middle. In the faster sprint type segments I'm usually in the top 20% and on one segment I actually have the fastest time in 2020. I feel better and I've lost 10 lb. At age 74...I'll take it.
I find that with solo riding, I don't really need to think about creating intervals because there's going to be parts on a long ride I'm naturally going to want to ride fast and there's always at least a couple big hills to push myself up. Do you monitor your heart when you ride?

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.