Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 08:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
You don't think it was aggressive?
Old 09-24-17, 09:29 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
so sad right now.

openened up FB out of habit when I woke up, landed on a spoiler... fml. I’m still gonna watch like six hours of this race dammit!!!

It’s my fault but damn. Why post a spoiler so early?? One guy I know loves to spoil results, even in ride titles on Strava - had to unfollow.
Old 09-24-17, 09:35 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
I'm starting to notice a pattern in your replies. In the first you jump into a well in progress conversation or heavily layered set of thoughts. In the case of the text of mine you quoted, a bit of both. Doge has been, well... being a father realizing he has to let go. The second child always has it easier.

May be true, but in scope of this thread (and I don't have a junior) I see pro racing as much more tentative. I don't believe for a second kids could survive that far. But look at the numbers. Year after year @ nats and UCI races juniors are faster than pros. Not 100% of the time, but usually.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
You don't think it was aggressive?
It was the WC. But consider the pros averaged 41.346 and the juniors averaged 42.61 kph.
Watch junior racing, then pros. As I've said many times - juniors are faster, and waaay more aggressive.

Guess I'm not used to watching slow adults so much.
Old 09-24-17, 09:38 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by Doge
It was the WC. But consider the pros averaged 41.346 and the juniors averaged 42.61 kph.
Watch junior racing, then pros. As I've said many times - juniors are faster, and waaay more aggressive.

Guess I'm not used to watching slow adults so much.
Well yeah, but that's the avg over the whole race. Cut out the 1-2hr preamble and I bet the pro race is faster. That 1-2hrs of pregame is important! These are the best riders in the world, calorie management and energy conservation are part of the game. The last 40-50k there were attacks at every available opportunity and it made for a fantastic watch!
Old 09-24-17, 11:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 3,150 Times in 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
openened up FB out of habit when I woke up, landed on a spoiler... fml.
You and me both.

On that note, wow... We have a once-in-a-generation talent here. I'm so happy to witness his success at the (probable) height of cycling in my own life.
Old 09-24-17, 01:22 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Well yeah, but that's the avg over the whole race. Cut out the 1-2hr preamble and I bet the pro race is faster. That 1-2hrs of pregame is important! These are the best riders in the world, calorie management and energy conservation are part of the game. The last 40-50k there were attacks at every available opportunity and it made for a fantastic watch!
I get it. The miler runner kids in HS are faster than the Olympic marathoners adults too. Facts are that pro are holding back (they say that) for the first 3/4 of the race.

That excitement we saw the last 40-50K didn't need 200K in front of it. It would be just as exciting being the length many could watch and networks might show at 140K. And what we miss is the setting of of those breaks, cause hours 1-5 are too hard to watch to find that detail.

I expect if pro races were shorter you'd see that last 50K kind of racing for 100K, but the riders must conserve. They could be as fast as the juniors - they just aren't, or were not at this worlds.
https://www.bikeforums.net/19752744-post1.html
Old 09-24-17, 01:39 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I think the extra distance matters though. It's supposed to be the best rider in the world that wins (relative to the course design), a 160k race introduces a bit more luck into the equation. The last 1-2hrs are a true spectacle regardless!
Old 09-24-17, 01:43 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I watched a bike race!

Seriously. I think the last pro race I may have watched was the last few K when Sagan won his first worlds.
Old 09-24-17, 02:58 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
all i know is that a lot of people who watch the olympic network must have a structured settlement and need cash now
Old 09-24-17, 09:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by TMonk
You and me both.

On that note, wow... We have a once-in-a-generation talent here. I'm so happy to witness his success at the (probable) height of cycling in my own life.
Also clicked on a link to the Specialized site, landed on a spoiler on top of spoiler (not just who won, but how, more or less, on their home page).

I know it's mostly my fault but damn.

And it's also not shocking that Sagan took it again - but it would have been nice to watch the race thinking one of these random moves might have worked, or that Boassen-Hagen might have won the sprint or something.

Anyway, I'm still watching the whole race (watched up to the last 60k, where things got exciting, went for a ride, now finishing it).

my race videos
Old 09-24-17, 09:20 PM
mattm
**** that

I get it. The miler runner kids in HS are faster than the Olympic marathoners adults too. Facts are that pro are holding back (they say that) for the first 3/4 of the race.

That excitement we saw the last 40-50K didn't need 200K in front of it. It would be just as exciting being the length many could watch and networks might show at 140K. And what we miss is the setting of of those breaks, cause hours 1-5 are too hard to watch to find that detail.

I expect if pro races were shorter you'd see that last 50K kind of racing for 100K, but the riders must conserve. They could be as fast as the juniors - they just aren't, or were not at this worlds.
https://www.bikeforums.net/19752744-post1.html
This isn't time-trialing; it's not all about the average speed. And don't tell me you can see a difference (on TV) between 27mph and 29 mph!

You see the same thing in local amateur racing; the cat 4/5 field might go faster on average (for 30 minutes) than the p/1/2 field for 60 minutes, but no way those 4/5's would be competitive in the p/1/2 race.

A more meaningful argument is should they have a more mountainous RR course for the WC, to really weed out fat sprinters...

my race videos
Old 09-24-17, 09:23 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also clicked on a link to the Specialized site, landed on a spoiler on top of spoiler (not just who won, but how, more or less, on their home page).

I know it's mostly my fault but damn.

And it's also not shocking that Sagan took it again - but it would have been nice to watch the race thinking one of these random moves might have worked, or that Boassen-Hagen might have won the sprint or something.

Anyway, I'm still watching the whole race (watched up to the last 60k, where things got exciting, went for a ride, now finishing it).
Hopefully they corrected it for watching afterward, but the live feed and race radio dropped out for the last 3k or so. I had a few minutes of Bob and Paul speculating on what could be happening in the race while stationary cameras showed the finish line.
Old 09-24-17, 09:53 PM
Doge

This isn't time-trialing; it's not all about the average speed. And don't tell me you can see a difference (on TV) between 27mph and 29 mph!

You see the same thing in local amateur racing; the cat 4/5 field might go faster on average (for 30 minutes) than the p/1/2 field for 60 minutes, but no way those 4/5's would be competitive in the p/1/2 race.
On TV I can't. Being there - 27 and 29 are quite different. UCI WC was 24 - I can see that (vs 29) on the video. Average speed is an indication of overall aggressiveness. To be clear - no/few kids would have lasted half way that distance. It is a marathon, not a mile and the races are different. I'd think the worlds top 50 juniors could get up that hill very close to the worlds best pros without days of stages or miles before the climb. Just not how RR isright now. Pretty much every USA nats - the juniors are faster up the hills than the Cat 1s. It is recorded on Strava, so it must be true. Some of that is their inability to conserve, but facts are - they go faster, as a group. They can't down hill because they don't have the gears. This is to be expected. For speed/power there have been Olympic cycling track champions at 17 (forget his name). The events are different. Which is why I mentioned marathon vs a miler. Similarly in other sports, peak male power and aggressiveness is seen younger, not older.

A more meaningful argument is should they have a more mountainous RR course for the WC, to really weed out fat sprinters...
You might drop Sagan too and No Sagan, no WC...
UCI does not have a crit, CR and RR - they have this, closer to a CR. So yea, I agree. That 156 riders were there after 230K was an indicator not much was going on before then.
Old 09-24-17, 10:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by hack
Hopefully they corrected it for watching afterward, but the live feed and race radio dropped out for the last 3k or so. I had a few minutes of Bob and Paul speculating on what could be happening in the race while stationary cameras showed the finish line.
Yeah I just saw that.. talk about unfortunate timing! The NBC Sports Gold feed I watched had the same dropout.

But really it was those last 500m that mattered anyway. It was closer than I thought it'd be; Sagan only beat Kristoff by less than half a wheel! Better than I thought Kristoff would do, given his season.

Beautiful sprint by Sagan - so patient! I would have jumped way too early and led it all out.. just like Kristoff lol. (actually I would've been dropped in the first 60k most likely)

my race videos
Old 09-24-17, 10:28 PM
mattm
**** that

but facts are - they go faster, as a group.
Even if that's true - on average, which isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, since the distances are so different - it's the surges that would 100% be faster in the pros. It's the surges that matter, it's the surges where the race is won or lost.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. If the juniors do well enough they'll get up to the "slow" race eventually - although most of them won't.

my race videos
Old 09-24-17, 10:31 PM
Doge

Even if that's true - on average, which isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, since the distances are so different - it's the surges that would 100% be faster in the pros. It's the surges that matter, it's the surges where the race is won or lost.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. If the juniors do well enough they'll get up to the "slow" race eventually - although most of them won't.
My point is pros would look better and be more watched if races were 2-3 hours and "hard".
Sagan would still win, maybe, but we'd save time and see faster races.

Edit: Surges - is where the lighter rider wins.

Last edited by Doge; 09-24-17 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 11:06 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so sad right now.

openened up FB out of habit when I woke up, landed on a spoiler... fml. I’m still gonna watch like six hours of this race dammit!!!

It’s my fault but damn. Why post a spoiler so early?? One guy I know loves to spoil results, even in ride titles on Strava - had to unfollow.
+1.

i tend to call this stuff out.

watching the TdF or world, taking place 8, 10 or more time zones away... it's not like the super bowl where almost everyone in the US watches it live. many of us watch it later--maybe it's a couple hours, maybe it's ~24h.

my other beef is that these people rarely have anything that adds to a conversation. it's just something like "SAGAN FTW!!!!!" if somebody has something unique to say, that would make it less of an issue IMO.

are these the same people that walk out of an early movie and loudly discuss the plot twist so the people walking in can hear? are they the ones that comment "FIRST!" in every thread?

it's easy to avoid the obvious places where we'll see discussion, but it's kind of hard to completely shut off social media these days.
Old 09-25-17, 12:00 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
my other beef is that these people rarely have anything that adds to a conversation. it's just something like "SAGAN FTW!!!!!" if somebody has something unique to say, that would make it less of an issue IMO.
Originally Posted by miyata man
LOLOLOLOL

That was some old school dramatic broadcasting to boot.
I question what your talking about talking about other people talking added.
Old 09-25-17, 12:21 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by tetonrider
+1.

i tend to call this stuff out.

watching the TdF or world, taking place 8, 10 or more time zones away... it's not like the super bowl where almost everyone in the US watches it live. many of us watch it later--maybe it's a couple hours, maybe it's ~24h.

are these the same people that walk out of an early movie and loudly discuss the plot twist so the people walking in can hear? are they the ones that comment "FIRST!" in every thread?

it's easy to avoid the obvious places where we'll see discussion, but it's kind of hard to completely shut off social media these days.
Ha and I was thinking I was crazy.

Also: the only people that care about the result are the same ones you shouldn't spoil the result to!! I mean at least wait until late at night or the next day..

my race videos
Old 09-25-17, 12:47 AM
mattm
**** that

Btw, Chantal Blaak - what a ride! Crashing and then winning the World Championship.. damn.

I think that beats Sagan's ride.

my race videos
Old 09-25-17, 06:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I, uh, ummm...if we don't stay up to watch the great sunday night episodic thriller we just stay off the interweb until we see it. Isn't it logical that the place that exists largely to convey instantaneously unfolding news would have that instantaneously unfolding news?
Old 09-25-17, 07:15 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
all i know is that a lot of people who watch the olympic network must have a structured settlement and need cash now
Did you call J.G. Wentworth?

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I, uh, ummm...if we don't stay up to watch the great sunday night episodic thriller we just stay off the interweb until we see it. Isn't it logical that the place that exists largely to convey instantaneously unfolding news would have that instantaneously unfolding news?
I have to agree with this. I know when we used to watch the recording of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad the next evening, I had to stay off Facebook and a lot of other websites during the day.

Last edited by topflightpro; 09-25-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 07:54 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I watch most of my alma mater's football games (if they are on TV at all) on time delay because of kids and stuff. I can sure get through losses a lot faster. It does mean staying off the internet until after I'm caught up (even if that's the next day), but that's on me.
Old 09-25-17, 08:28 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by gsteinb
yeah yeah but still

i said it was my fault, and that i went on fb by accident.

also, stay off the internet? that’s a bit much to ask these days

stay off fb sure, but if somone spoils on strava... i mean wtf
Old 09-25-17, 08:29 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

It has to be on strava though, because if it isn't it doesn't count???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.