Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Brake/shifter recommendations?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 08:42 PM
decaturjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Trying to get back into mountain biking again and picked a bike up cheap locally a while back. It's a

2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 120

Well, It won't let me share a link to the specs of it cause I'm a newb. lol.

But it has these combo brake/shifter levers. It's 3x9 on the gears and has these odd make the brake lever pivot down kind of thing to do the up shifting and a button under the handle bars to down shift. The brakes work great and are hydraulic discs. I was thinking of putting some Deore XT M8000 brake levers on. It seems like they are reasonably priced and would fit and work.

But can't seem to find comparable 3x9 shifters to go with those brake levers. Seems like everything is 2x? or even 1x? these days.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

Jack

Maybe this picture will work instead of the link to the specs.
Old 02-05-20, 10:04 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
How much?
have you considered a larger tire size?
Old 02-06-20, 07:12 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by decaturjack
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Trying to get back into mountain biking again and picked a bike up cheap locally a while back. It's a

2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 120

Well, It won't let me share a link to the specs of it cause I'm a newb. lol.

But it has these combo brake/shifter levers. It's 3x9 on the gears and has these odd make the brake lever pivot down kind of thing to do the up shifting and a button under the handle bars to down shift. The brakes work great and are hydraulic discs. I was thinking of putting some Deore XT M8000 brake levers on. It seems like they are reasonably priced and would fit and work.

But can't seem to find comparable 3x9 shifters to go with those brake levers. Seems like everything is 2x? or even 1x? these days.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

Jack

Maybe this picture will work instead of the link to the specs.
Sounds like you go the infamous "dual control," aka MTB brifters. Deore M590 3x9 RF+ shifter pods are still available, as are Alivio models. For levers, you can use any modern hydraulic or cable lever, depending on what you have.

This is for keeping it 3x9. Other options might include changing other parts.

Edit: You might also have a RapidRise derailleur, instead of a Top Normal one. If so, your shifting is reversed and you might want to change that.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 02-06-20 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-06-20, 11:32 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
IF you want to go 1X this is pretty tough to beat https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shimano...sAAOSwUKxYdGuL

Otherwise just using any old shimano 9 speed shifter set should work such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-DEO...oAAOSwQ4Rd-gXb

Just did a similar swap on a friends bike, switched out his old combo XT levers/shifters and went with SLX M7000 brakes. I had a set of old 9 speed shifters he used. But couldn't convince him to swap out his XTR rapid rise derailleur... oh well.
Old 02-06-20, 06:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
I scored a great deal on dual control levers about 10 years ago, it let my upgrade from V brakes to hydraulic,

I may be the only known user of these shifters that actually likes them.

Yes, you read that, I Like Them.

When setup with new shift cables and housing they shift great. Flick the lever up, shifts. Down a flick, shifts.

I much prefer them to trigger shifters and I have an SLX 1X on a newer bike that works well, but not as nice as dual control.
Old 02-07-20, 07:46 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
If anyone seeks a Rapid Rise XTR derailleur in great condition, PM me

I thought I'd keep it for pulleys and bolts but I need to clear some stuff out.
Old 04-09-20, 06:06 PM
decaturjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I bought a set of Shimano Alivio M4050's. Which is a combo hydraulic brake/shifter set for 3x9. I've watched several Youtube video's on how to hook up the shifter. Seemed pretty straightforward. So, I pulled off the old brake/shifter combo on the right hand side. Threaded the shifter wire through the cable housings and hooked it up to the derauilleur like the video's showed. I can't hardly get the shifter to move the derailleur. Suggestions?

Also, I see some mentions of a Rapid Rise derailleur. How would I know if that's what I have?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-20, 12:57 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Pull the cable tight at the derailleur.

Rapid Rise Derailluer wants to go the the big granny gear in back with no cable tension

Regular rise wants to go to the small fast ring in back.

You'll want to make sure you tighten the cable at the derailleur with the shifter matching your derailluer's natural spot, large or small cog in back. Also a good idea to screw in the adjustment knob most of the way in on the shifter to allow room to adjust cable tension, typically a little loose right off the bat.