Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

RIP Dirt Rag

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

RIP Dirt Rag

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 06:20 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbuzz
Someone needs to change the thread title
its actually a good thread title

Print media is mostly going away. This brings up the question.. Why is dirt rag not able to get views with their online stuff? A lot of the print media has gone all online (not the case here).
Old 02-09-20, 08:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
its actually a good thread title

Print media is mostly going away. This brings up the question.. Why is dirt rag not able to get views with their online stuff? A lot of the print media has gone all online (not the case here).
On line favors a very different type of content. I think in the end DRs content was too.... long and wordy. Also, their focus is not all the newest shiny bits, so I imagine they always struggled for ad revenue, which is pretty much what you are dependent on when on-line.

Most print publications that have moved primarily to online are either shells of their former selves or take much less staff to create the content for. DR had loads of content and long articles. That takes a lot of staff and a lot of time. And their target was really a rather small group of people.

Of course their are exceptions, such as some large news orgs like the NYT, but you will be hard pressed to find things quite like DR in online form. They did have digital subscriptions, and I had one, but the stuff did not really translate well to online.
Old 02-09-20, 09:54 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
how did this turn into a beer thread?

That would be something if dirtfest went away. I imagine someone will take it up
Both dirtfests are cancelled. Sol to those who paid already I think.
Old 02-09-20, 11:53 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
On line favors a very different type of content. I think in the end DRs content was too.... long and wordy. Also, their focus is not all the newest shiny bits, so I imagine they always struggled for ad revenue, which is pretty much what you are dependent on when on-line.

Most print publications that have moved primarily to online are either shells of their former selves or take much less staff to create the content for. DR had loads of content and long articles. That takes a lot of staff and a lot of time. And their target was really a rather small group of people.

Of course their are exceptions, such as some large news orgs like the NYT, but you will be hard pressed to find things quite like DR in online form. They did have digital subscriptions, and I had one, but the stuff did not really translate well to online.
Makes sense 👍
Old 05-28-20, 07:07 AM
EarlGrey

Bikes: TREK 1200 SL (2006?), 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack (sold, great bike), many incomplete projects in the basement

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Did "Dirt Rag" have some kind of drug subculture thing going?? I bought the magazines but also thought they were a bit odd as well.
Sometime in the past (201x?) there were reference to micro-dosing sites and books, but not much else that I'd remember.