Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Power training using Sigma Rox 10.0 algorithm - no actual power meter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 04:13 AM
SafferYork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all.

I ride using the Sigma Rox 10.0. It has a power option that calculates your power using certain variables - weight, height, cadence, bike weight, shoulder width...

1 - How reliable would these readings be?
2 - How would I be able to train using these readings?
3 - Should I even bother trying with just using there Rox? (Need to save a lot of cash for an actual power meter!)

Thanks
Old 07-14-16, 10:09 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
This review suggests that the Sigma Rox power estimation is not particularly accurate compared to a an actual power meter. BTW, the word you want is accurate: "reliable" relates to durability.

You can train without either. If you want to get a general idea of what your power output is, I suspect that the Rox will be fine. If you are training to ensure you make it into the next TdF, and you use power algorithms to help you, then I think you want to shell out the bucks. But again: you can train without an on-board power meter. Eddy Merckx did.

You should always try, whether you have a TAP, or a Sigma Rox, or a wristwatch that helps you time intervals. I use a Garmin XT940, and the Garmin software estimates my average power. The Sigma Rox sounds like it uses more inputs to get a more accurate estimate. If you are averaging 16mph on an hour-long circuit with lots of hills for your training (about what I do) the estimate is probably fine. If you are doing 20mph on that same circuit and want to get to 21, the power meter may help you do that over a period of months and may be worth it to you.

But for heavens sake, keep training while you save up for the power meter. Use the Rox metrics to see if they help you any.