Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

doubling up with races

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

doubling up with races

Old 09-27-17, 07:19 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
doubling up with races

Just curious how folks approach doubling up races. I'm looking at an event next week that has a 5 race (30mins) followed by a 4/5 race of 40mins. Would be nice to get some additional race experience and get that much closer to getting my 10 races for the season, but depending how hard I go in the first the 2nd one might be tough. On one hand, I usually train between 90-120mins a day (mainly sweet spot), so endurance is good but I don't do a lot of over threshold efforts so my legs might not be happy during a 2nd race. Anyhow, was curious to see what others experience in instances where they've done back to back.
Old 09-27-17, 09:48 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It depends what you want to get out of it.

If it's just for training and knowledge you'll be fine, but I don't know that you can hope to at your peak competitiveness in the either, whether you're holding back in the first to save some for the second or going all out and then end up gassed come the second race.

Can't hurt. I'm only saying to build the right expectations. The series I'm racing in makes your second race of the day only $10 so plenty of people do two. Not a ton do back to back though.
Old 09-27-17, 11:06 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
90-120 mins of sweet spot won't translate to race pace. I'd just do the 4/5 race. If there is a single speed division later in the day then you can consider doubling up by zip tieing your shifters after some recovery time.
Old 09-28-17, 09:01 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Y'all 2-a-day people baffle me. I'm perfectly content to do my race and then watch my friends and have beer(s).
Old 09-28-17, 10:31 AM
Carcosa

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Y'all 2-a-day people baffle me. I'm perfectly content to do my race and then watch my friends and have beer(s).
This.... Although at the end of the day Sunday I'm sad I have to wait another week to race again.
Old 09-28-17, 11:24 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
It depends what you want to get out of it.

If it's just for training and knowledge you'll be fine, but I don't know that you can hope to at your peak competitiveness in the either, whether you're holding back in the first to save some for the second or going all out and then end up gassed come the second race.

Can't hurt. I'm only saying to build the right expectations. The series I'm racing in makes your second race of the day only $10 so plenty of people do two. Not a ton do back to back though.
This. If the OP is a cat 5, it's worth racing more to get more experience (and get in your 10 races to move up to a 4). Look at one or both the races as training (as you generally should as a cat 5, anyhow), and enjoy yourself. If you find yourself on the front in the last lap, however, forget this advice and hammer.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-28-17, 11:27 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
I've consumed a lot of alcohol in my years, and I've enjoyed the mix of adrenaline and endorphins. Adrenaline and endorphins are better (especially when followed by a cold beer).

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-28-17, 11:55 AM
HOWSER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for experience, then do it.

You're second event will likely suffer, but you may not care.

I double up often. Around here Masters go 1st in the day. I'll do that then the open race (1, 2, 3) in the early afternoon. That race always hurts.

Have fun.
Old 09-28-17, 12:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Just curious how folks approach doubling up races. I'm looking at an event next week that has a 5 race (30mins) followed by a 4/5 race of 40mins. Would be nice to get some additional race experience and get that much closer to getting my 10 races for the season, but depending how hard I go in the first the 2nd one might be tough. On one hand, I usually train between 90-120mins a day (mainly sweet spot), so endurance is good but I don't do a lot of over threshold efforts so my legs might not be happy during a 2nd race. Anyhow, was curious to see what others experience in instances where they've done back to back.
Personally, I'd race the first for a placing and the second for fitness. If you happen to place well in the second, that's gravy.