Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I get this bike???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 02:48 PM
1Lieutenant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts

I currently ride a 2018 Look 765 equipped with Sram Force 1x that I am extremely happy with. I do not do "off road" but am happy with the gear range of this 1x system. It is disc brake equipped with Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon wheels.

I would not be looking for a second bike had this opportunity arisen. A Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel titanium frame with a Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed groupset was offered to me at what I would consider a very fair deal. The bike is like new. I haven't had the chance to ride this bike being in the midst of a New England winter. The frame dimensions are very similar to my Look even though this was custom made. The gear range is similar although 2x.

My sensible self is saying to "pass". My cycling madness person says I should get this titanium bike.
I am hoping to get some input as to whether or not a titanium bike would be an upgrade, no difference, or compromise from my Look. I enjoy the shock absorption and ride of my current bike.
Your thoughts appreciated. Hoping to hear from others that have owned both carbon and titanium endurance bikes.
Old 01-20-20, 02:50 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
n+1
if you can afford it, why not?
Likes For rivers:
Old 01-21-20, 01:34 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
If you want it and can afford it, buy it. If not, then don't. I have way too many bikes. The best days of my life are the ones in which the toughest decision I have have to make, on any given day, is which bike I will ride.
Old 01-21-20, 01:47 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by zatopek
If you want it and can afford it, buy it. If not, then don't. I have way too many bikes. The best days of my life are the ones in which the toughest decision I have have to make, on any given day, is which bike I will ride.
I wish my life was as easy! Toughest decision = which bike to ride

My response for OP: Other than you, no one on this forum can answer this.

The questions I usually ask myself are the following: Do you need it? Can you afford it? Do you really need it? Will you use it as much as the other one? Do you really really need it? Is your wife OK with this buy?

When I don't ''really'' need something, I usually rely on ''the deal'' I am getting (will I be able to resale it for the same price I paid or a little less, will I lose a lot, etc.).
Old 01-21-20, 01:49 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Go for it. What's the harm? If you're not sacrificing your rent money, or kids' shoes.

^ This, coming from a guy that 'sacrificed' a semester's tuition, for a 1996 Bianchi Ti Megatube, back in 1997... is a bit hypocritical. But I've still got that bike, and I don't regret it for a second. So I graduated one semester later... who cares?
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-21-20, 02:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant
I currently ride a 2018 Look 765 equipped with Sram Force 1x that I am extremely happy with. I do not do "off road" but am happy with the gear range of this 1x system. It is disc brake equipped with Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon wheels.

I would not be looking for a second bike had this opportunity arisen. A Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel titanium frame with a Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed groupset was offered to me at what I would consider a very fair deal. The bike is like new. I haven't had the chance to ride this bike being in the midst of a New England winter. The frame dimensions are very similar to my Look even though this was custom made. The gear range is similar although 2x.

My sensible self is saying to "pass". My cycling madness person says I should get this titanium bike.
I am hoping to get some input as to whether or not a titanium bike would be an upgrade, no difference, or compromise from my Look. I enjoy the shock absorption and ride of my current bike.
Your thoughts appreciated. Hoping to hear from others that have owned both carbon and titanium endurance bikes.
On an O-2's base pay plus allowances?
Old 01-21-20, 02:17 PM
1Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
On an O-2's base pay plus allowances?
LOL. I have kept this screen name for years since I was a 1LT. Long since retired at O4. Was a ceremonial unit.

Basically, I am pragmatic and don't really need two bikes if there is no advantage.
Likes For 1Lieutenant:
Old 01-21-20, 02:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
There is a lot of good things to be said about a ti crown jewel, those things cost some serious money to begin with and if an amazing deal came along on one I don't currently have a bike I wouldn't get rid of to make room for it. If you've only got a road bike and this one will see use and get you other places you otherwise wouldn't go then why not?
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-21-20, 02:23 PM
1Lieutenant

I will be taking a "test" ride as soon as the roads get clean. Then decide.

To answer some of your questions:
A: I can afford it. I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting money.
B. Kids are out of college with their tuition paid for so now they are buying their own shoes...
C. I can afford to buy stuff for the grandkids
D. My wife has long ago stopped trying to figure me out (and vice versa)

Was trying to hear from people who own, or have owned, both carbon and ti bikes for their assessment.
Old 01-21-20, 02:25 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
LOL. I have kept this screen name for years since I was a 1LT. Long since retired at O4. Was a ceremonial unit.

Basically, I am pragmatic and don't really need two bikes if there is no advantage.
Whew! Life is short; buy it if it will bring you joy.

I have a totally unnecessary Ti bike which I commute on every day and have come to love.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-21-20, 02:30 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Don't discount "experience" as part of that "advantage" calculation you're making. Sure, it's subjective, but also extremely valuable. So many guys I know now, who've never experienced a titanium bike, and probably never will... well, that's unfortunate... for them.
Old 01-21-20, 02:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Doo eeeet!!

Got any pics??
Old 01-21-20, 04:03 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My sensible self is saying to "pass". .
I am a cyclist. Not familiar with that phrase.
Old 01-21-20, 04:39 PM
big john

Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
If you're asking if there will be an advantage over your Look, I doubt it. There is nothing magic about titanium. It can be made to ride stiff or soft, depending on the alloy, tube diameter, thickness, and geometry. I have a Seven Axiom and it is quite stiff and feels similar to a CAAD 5 I used to have.
It's a great bike but it's not a smooth as my steel Gunnar which cost thousands less.
Old 01-22-20, 06:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Was trying to hear from people who own, or have owned, both carbon and ti bikes for their assessment.

i own a Calfee Carbon and a Macalu Ti bike. It inspires me to ride more with choices. I run different tire sizes on them, drivetrains, etc.

Yes, buy the IF - if it fits.
Old 01-22-20, 07:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Whew! Life is short; buy it if it will bring you joy.

I have a totally unnecessary Ti bike which I commute on every day and have come to love.
Old 01-22-20, 10:28 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts

I have both, I prefer my Ti,

RLTW