Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Spray.bike paint?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spray.bike paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 06:34 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Spray.bike paint?

I picked up a Shogun 500 yesterday and the paint is really scuffed in several places, but the bike isn’t rusty. (Which is weird for my area, but, whatever.)

I was looking to repaint it myself as a project. It’s currently dark blue with tan. I was looking up the options and came across Spray.bike paint. I want it to be black when I’m done.

Has anyone used it? It looks like the biggest benefit is that it doesn’t drip, making it a little easier to work with than other paint options.
Old 01-28-20, 06:52 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I picked up a Shogun 500 yesterday and the paint is really scuffed in several places, but the bike isn’t rusty. (Which is weird for my area, but, whatever.)

I was looking to repaint it myself as a project. It’s currently dark blue with tan. I was looking up the options and came across Spray.bike paint. I want it to be black when I’m done.

Has anyone used it? It looks like the biggest benefit is that it doesn’t drip, making it a little easier to work with than other paint options.
Its supposed to be good paint. Pricey, IMHO. I have not tried it, but I've watched a lot of their how-to videos. I might use it on my Holdsworth frame.
Old 01-28-20, 07:20 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Its supposed to be good paint. Pricey, IMHO. I have not tried it, but I've watched a lot of their how-to videos. I might use it on my Holdsworth frame.
I came across a video when I watched the GCN guys building a gravel racer. Looked interesting and easier to use than a regular rattle can. I’m not going to try any of the weird designs or anything, just a full black, and maybe make the head tube silver, but it depends on how the black paint goes...
Old 01-28-20, 07:55 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Start from reply 53 on this thread for more info: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ge-bike-3.html

Old 01-28-20, 08:29 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by francophile
Start from reply 53 on this thread for more info: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ge-bike-3.html
I found that thread when I was searching for reviews of people who had used it. No one says the've actually used that product, though, they just comment on the price.
Old 01-28-20, 09:50 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

I found that thread when I was searching for reviews of people who had used it. No one says the've actually used that product, though, they just comment on the price.
Gotcha. I'd banged through a lot of reviews and got more info from this video than anywhere else (skipped to 1:23 for the meat): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7B7knRK3U#t=1m23

Still doesn't help with understanding if it's worthwhile, but it did help to understand more about the product details. They also have a YouTube channel which you may've already found: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAR...xrdSPVeE3L5K7Q

There's a few videos using the product which aren't sponsored by the channel, and I walked away with mixed reviews.

Likes For francophile:
Old 01-28-20, 11:12 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by francophile
Still doesn't help with understanding if it's worthwhile, but it did help to understand more about the product details. There's a few videos using the product which aren't sponsored by the channel, and I walked away with mixed reviews.
These two sentences perfectly describe how I feel about it. I'm leery of how well a good 2K clear with act when its laid over top of the acrylic. There's no problem using original rustoleum enamel as a color base, but many other brands truly are not suitable (in my opinion) for achieving a good hard finish. Then there's the color-match. Spray.Bike has a weird variety of colors and I think they are expecting people to simply go hog wild with patterns and effects instead of replicating the OG paint. Like you, I am dubious for its use in a C&V application.
Old 01-28-20, 12:51 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

These two sentences perfectly describe how I feel about it. I'm leery of how well a good 2K clear with act when its laid over top of the acrylic. There's no problem using original rustoleum enamel as a color base, but many other brands truly are not suitable (in my opinion) for achieving a good hard finish. Then there's the color-match. Spray.Bike has a weird variety of colors and I think they are expecting people to simply go hog wild with patterns and effects instead of replicating the OG paint. Like you, I am dubious for its use in a C&V application.
I'm not sure, is 2K compatible with acrylic? I know you can lay it down over rattle-can enamel. Either way, Spray.Bike has a clearcoat product in both matte and gloss finishes. Although 2K finishes are incredible, despite how dangerous it is to human lungs & skin, I doubt Spray.Bike's would compare.

What's also unclear to me is whether or not you can lay waterslides over their base, then use their clear over it. I assume you can, but you know what they say about assuming!

I'm curious also about the longevity of the product based on what I saw in a video, claiming "instructions say to keep whatever's left in the can for touch-ups later, for scratches or the product wearing off".

Likes For francophile:
Old 01-28-20, 01:07 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
I doubt my post here is going to helpful because I'm a pro and not an amateur or hobby painter. If I didn't have all my professional equipment I would use Spray Max aerosol can paint. This is a company that makes aerosol cans designed for local automotive paint suppliers to put whatever epoxy type of paint you choose inside. When you punch the bottom button it sends the activator into the paint so it now becomes ready to use. Of course It has to be used within a couple of hours because it hardens by chemical action. Their nozzles are supposed to be superior. And no I don't have a personal testimony since I've never used it myself. There was a subject thread on Paceline a year or so ago where users had found it a good product. To put it another way it is pro paint put in aerosol cans by local suppliers for amateurs to use.

What I do know is that I would use a good primer. I love House of Kolor primers because they come in primary colors as well as black, white and gray. This is an advantage if the color paint gets chipped exposing the primer (I mix the primary colors to get closer to the final color) and provides better top color coverage. Some colors like yellow can be very difficult to get full coverage and might require extra coats. In fact the yellow, blue and red H of K primers are good enough colors by themselves to go straight to clean. After the color coats, polyurethane clear in Spray Max can be applied and if necessary buffed to a smoother finish after it has fully cured.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-28-20, 02:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I have used it on 3 bikes and plan to use it on a 4th frame this spring.

Put simply- It is better than spraypaint and worse than powdercoating.
The end result and quality completely depends almost entirely on preparation and a little on execution. It is dead simple to use- the directions for each type(color, clearcoat, primer, etc) varies, but if you follow the directions its pretty tough to mess up.
My first was flat black with a green sparkle flake finish. Its lasted a couple years on a road bike that I use for 30% of my riding as well as being my trainer bike.

spray.bike will not be as smooth as wet paint or quality powdercoat. It will be more durable and therefore look better than spraypaint.

If you want just black- why not powdercoat? A powdercoater near me will do a frame for $75 in colors he has in stock(black being one). If you want to feel like its your project still , then strip the current paint and remove all rust.
A primer, paint, and clear coat for spray.bike is probably $50 once shipping is added in.
Old 01-28-20, 03:10 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I doubt my post here is going to helpful because I'm a pro and not an amateur or hobby painter. If I didn't have all my professional equipment I would use Spray Max aerosol can paint. This is a company that makes aerosol cans designed for local automotive paint suppliers to put whatever epoxy type of paint you choose inside. When you punch the bottom button it sends the activator into the paint so it now becomes ready to use. Of course It has to be used within a couple of hours because it hardens by chemical action. Their nozzles are supposed to be superior. And no I don't have a personal testimony since I've never used it myself. There was a subject thread on Paceline a year or so ago where users had found it a good product. To put it another way it is pro paint put in aerosol cans by local suppliers for amateurs to use.

What I do know is that I would use a good primer. I love House of Kolor primers because they come in primary colors as well as black, white and gray. This is an advantage if the color paint gets chipped exposing the primer (I mix the primary colors to get closer to the final color) and provides better top color coverage. Some colors like yellow can be very difficult to get full coverage and might require extra coats. In fact the yellow, blue and red H of K primers are good enough colors by themselves to go straight to clean. After the color coats, polyurethane clear in Spray Max can be applied and if necessary buffed to a smoother finish after it has fully cured.
This is quite helpful especially coming from you. I got two things out of your comments. 1. You would use Spray Max, a 2 component system, if you had to use spray cans, 2, When you use your regular spray paint equipment, you prefer HOK paint, which seems to have an excellent reputation (I haven't used it yet), 3. You use primers in the color of the paint so that if/when the paint gets chipped, the primer color will not be so different than the original color coat.

I can't say how much that helps out TriBiker19, but I've learned a bunch. These are gems.
Old 01-28-20, 03:11 PM
SB_Greg

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5; 1965 Peugeot PX10; 1974 Peugeot PX10E

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Ive used this on one frame. The Pros: It is easy to use and it looks great. The Cons: it seems just as fragile and easy to chip off as cheap spray paint.

Last edited by SB_Greg; 01-28-20 at 09:38 PM.
Likes For SB_Greg:
Old 01-28-20, 04:10 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Holdsworth paint

If you do, LMK, as I picked up a very rough 1973 Professional a few weeks ago!
Cheers, Eric
Old 01-28-20, 04:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
my 2 cents, painting well takes a ton of prep, cost more than you would think and unless you go to the automotive level finishes is not at all durable....which is a pain considering the effort.

Unless you are the ultimate DIY person and want to do it for the learning and experience, I would suggest powder coat,

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-28-20, 08:03 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
If you do, LMK, as I picked up a very rough 1973 Professional a few weeks ago!
Cheers, Eric
You got it, Eric!
Old 01-28-20, 08:13 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic

I'm glad you chimed in, Doug. I want to pick your brain so badly about this, but I don't want to drift Tribiker19's thread any more than it is already. Using automotive paints inside my shop would be a disaster waiting to happen. I want to set up an outside frame-painting booth, but New Hampshire winters make it difficult to have a year-round operation. I've thought of stuff like buying a 20-foot shipping container to build a dedicated booth, but I honestly would only use it about six times per year. Then there's heating/cooling. Argh.
Old 01-28-20, 08:24 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
my 2 cents, painting well takes a ton of prep, cost more than you would think and unless you go to the automotive level finishes is not at all durable....which is a pain considering the effort.

Unless you are the ultimate DIY person and want to do it for the learning and experience, I would suggest powder coat,
For my Cassani re-do, I want the experience as much as the finish. Plus there is something subtle lost with powdercoating a vintage frame..a lot of detail seems to get swallowed up, unless you go hog wild with pricing... You are absolutely correct about the lack of durability, but hoping that a rustoleum color and 2 part urethane will be reasonably durable.
Old 01-28-20, 08:28 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

New Hampshire winters make it difficult to have a year-round operation. I've thought of stuff like buying a 20-foot shipping container to build a dedicated booth, but I honestly would only use it about six times per year. Then there's heating/cooling. Argh.
You might be better off with a shed. I saw one on the side of the road a couple months ago. Add a couple of propane heaters that get removed during the painting process and voila! Granted, this means you probably need a large truck to move it, but you mentioned plowing at one point, so that might not be a problem.

If you want to try spray.bike on a Shogun...I'll buy the supplies and prep the frame to your specs. I just want to see how you do it and meet your wife.
Old 01-28-20, 08:32 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

You might be better off with a shed. I saw one on the side of the road a couple months ago. Add a couple of propane heaters that get removed during the painting process and voila! Granted, this means you probably need a large truck to move it, but you mentioned plowing at one point, so that might not be a problem.

If you want to try spray.bike on a Shogun...I'll buy the supplies and prep the frame to your specs. I just want to see how you do it and meet your wife.
Might be fun! Let's talk.
Old 01-28-20, 10:40 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I have had a half dozen bikes powder coated at $80 each. The guy I use does an excellent job. If you have a frame that is worth a few bucks I would go for powder coat instead of rattle can. I have painted a few frames using Rustoleum wheel paint. It works ok but not nearly as well as powder coat.
Old 01-29-20, 01:18 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
spray.bike will not be as smooth as wet paint or quality powdercoat. It will be more durable and therefore look better than spraypaint.
All the paint jobs I've seen done with that stuff have an almost textured look; intentional orange peel or something. I can't imagine ever wanting that look on one of my bikes, but if that's what you happen to be going for, then have at it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 01-29-20, 02:41 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I sprayed up a bike for my son with it. It looks good, but he hasn't started riding it yet, so can't speak to durability.

Very easy to spray on.
Old 01-29-20, 06:01 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I have had a half dozen bikes powder coated at $80 each.
Wow that's a great price, especially if you are happy with it. The last one I had done was $140, and the finish was really bad. There's a place down in Massholia called Pike Powder Coating that charges $287 for a frame and fork, but their work is very thorough and top notch.
Old 01-29-20, 08:08 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
It may looks really good (for a repaint) and it is pretty easy to spray.
Polishing phase is important in my opinion (have to wait a little after painting, and then polish with a soft piece of clothes)

But any impact and the paint will be damaged. This is the reason why I will probably not do a second one but go directly to car/bike painting specialist. (no project ongoing)
You have to handle the bike carefully.
This is the bike i have made for my wife from an old scott arapahoe. (she uses it when we travel with our Camper)

Old 01-29-20, 08:41 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Wow that's a great price, especially if you are happy with it. The last one I had done was $140, and the finish was really bad. There's a place down in Massholia called Pike Powder Coating that charges $287 for a frame and fork, but their work is very thorough and top notch.
If I was going to have it professionally done, I'd probably go to one of the auto body shops nearby and just get paint. I've had fantastic service (for vehicles) from a place in Winchendon and the prices are great.

I've read that the issue with powder coating is that if you don't realize that there's a spot where water/corrosive liquid can get under it, it can eat out the frame without the owner noticing. Is that not the case?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.