Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Got groceries on my bike for the first time ever

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Got groceries on my bike for the first time ever

Old 01-23-18, 02:17 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I second you motion to ban cats from sidewalks.

or ... were you planning to ban hot dog buns?

Here in America we like to make a lot of laws.......
Please re-read my comment. I did NOT mention what you are trying to "second". Sorry, but you are mistaken about my comment. Ambulance chaser? Too late.

The event was 20 y.a. and the cat is dead , the hot-dogs were eaten (I had to prepare them). AND my ex is still my ex...
Old 01-23-18, 06:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
That is one long-lived cat.
Old 01-23-18, 07:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Right-ho, snowflake. I can see that what we have here is ... failure to communicate.

Do you like movies?
Originally Posted by badger1
You must be new here
Definitely!
Old 03-06-18, 12:22 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Peaches and tomatos got bruised on my basket. Crappy roads and hard containers can do alot of damage to soft fruits. A dedicated basket with thick soft foam on the bottom might be the answer.
The better solution is to stop buying over-ripe fruit and vegetables! That way they are firm enough to transport without damage. Over-ripe fruit won't last on anything when there is motion - that is why shops discount them. Otherwise the shops have to throw them out The thick soft foam can be washed, however if you want to try that approach. The saving in buying the over-ripe stuff will have to be weighed versus your labour and time in washing and rinsing the foam.

If you insist on buying cheap over-ripe fruit/veg, bring some salt and pepper and dine on the tomatoes in the parking lot. The peaches are great too - in the parking lot. Oh, and bring/buy some napkins or wipes for the mess on your hands and face. But the cost and inconvenience has to be weighed against the pennies saved in the over-ripe food purchase.

As always - your call, not mine.
Old 03-07-18, 01:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
The better solution is to stop buying over-ripe fruit and vegetables! That way they are firm enough to transport without damage. Over-ripe fruit won't last on anything when there is motion - that is why shops discount them. Otherwise the shops have to throw them out The thick soft foam can be washed, however if you want to try that approach. The saving in buying the over-ripe stuff will have to be weighed versus your labour and time in washing and rinsing the foam.

If you insist on buying cheap over-ripe fruit/veg, bring some salt and pepper and dine on the tomatoes in the parking lot. The peaches are great too - in the parking lot. Oh, and bring/buy some napkins or wipes for the mess on your hands and face. But the cost and inconvenience has to be weighed against the pennies saved in the over-ripe food purchase.

As always - your call, not mine.
The person you're quoting never said anything about buying cheap rotten fruit. Where did you get such a weird idea? The fruit I buy at the farmers market is usually ready-to-eat ripe, and is quite fragile. But it's also much sweeter and more flavorful than the hard green stuff that is often sold at the supermarket.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-07-18, 07:48 AM
tmac100

Buying rotten fruit? Never mentioned that. Over-ripe is what I stated. Your mis-interpretation. No point in getting your knickers in a knot over something did not write!

As always, folks can buy whatever they wish and what then happens, .... well it happens.

FWIW, please don't put words in my mouth. I wrote what I wrote. You don't have to agree with what I wrote - just don't write that I wrote something different. This is not a situation of "alternate facts".

I agree that farmers markets sell flavourful products - but not all of the produce is fragile and almost impossible to transport without damage. Obviously, some is and (fruit especially) should be eaten quickly before it turns to mush. Don't stack the items more than a layer or 2 if you are transporting. Hard to do that on a bicycle where folks tend to "stack" items in a bag/pannier.

FWIW, when I tour I never stack soft/squishy items in my panniers. A 6-pack of eggs on the side of a pannier seems to work fine, but not berries. Also, store-bought bread often gets squished in my panniers. Pita bread works better - but at the top of the pannier. Sorry - getting OT so will stop.

Last edited by tmac100; 03-07-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 06:08 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a trailer. Plenty of space. No squishing. Put the soft stuff on top. Easy.
Old 03-08-18, 03:58 AM
tmac100

Originally Posted by Walter S
I use a trailer. Plenty of space. No squishing. Put the soft stuff on top. Easy.
Yup, agreed. Soft stuff cannot handle any weight from the top - that includes soft fresh bread as well as ripe fruit/veg. Trailers work great for transporting soft stuff prone to squishing. For example, Driscol berries come in rigid plastic boxes to prevent squishing when they get piled on each other for shipping..
Old 03-13-18, 08:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Re: over-ripe fruit: No matter what you do, if you hit enough bumps it will bounce and bruise. In panniers, a towel or garment folded many times can provide enough cushion unless you hit a lot of bumps ... in which case it is just going to get bruised.

If other people like hanging stuff from their bars ... not an issue for me.

It's like people who hand stuff from their rear-view mirrors ... it would bug me (I like to see what I don't want to hit while driving) but if other folks can make it work, good for them.
Old 03-13-18, 03:38 PM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My current bike has the folding baskets mentioned earlier on the rear rack, they're made by Wald. I also have an Arkel rack truck more or less permanently mounted on the rack. The trunk is small so it can had small purchases but the folding baskets can hold a whole shopping bag. Someone asked how to avoid heelstrike with those baskets, I have a longer rack and mounted them as far back as I could on the rack. Even with my size 13 US feet and the fact that my chainstay isn't super long I don't have problems, well occasionally when I'm getting onto the pedals I'll kick my feet back too far and hit but once on the pedals no problems. When using panniers on this bike heelstrike was a common annoyance. It helps that the baskets don't sit super low too.

My question though is what do people do when they go to multiple stores in a single run? For instance last weekend I stopped by a small grocer, picked up a bag of stuff and then headed to the farmers market. Luckily it wasn't a big deal carring my groceries from the shop through the farmers market but it got me thinking about how to handle when going to multiple stores that might not care for you carrying other stores bags through their shop.
Old 03-13-18, 04:33 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by ReclusiveOne
My question though is what do people do when they go to multiple stores in a single run?
Sometiems I check my panniers at Customer Service ... some places I actually get a receipt of some sort, mostly i just drop them there.
Old 03-17-18, 06:07 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100

. AND my ex is still my ex...
So some good came from it.
Old 03-25-18, 03:59 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've always been a car guy, but since someone wiped out my classic VW i don't care anymore. I just cycle now. My daily e-bike is all i need.

These transformers weigh over 80 lbs each, i carried two of them 7 miles the other day. I had to have the bike set to minimum power though, as the handling and stability was a nightmare!

I carried a Cannon Pixma MG3050 printer home from the store the other day. The box dwarfs a 24-can crate of beer. And every couple of weeks i carry four large shopping bags of groceries (two stacked, each side).

The rare occasions i need to carry something really big i just get a taxi.