Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

sugino chainrings

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

sugino chainrings

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 10:06 AM
seanjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sugino chainrings

Hi i am just comparing both sugino ZEN and sugino 75 chainrings. i cannot seem find any differences. is there any differences between these 2 chainrings other than the number.
Old 07-03-18, 06:51 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zen's have all the beef left between the chainring holes, the 75's do not. In theory the Zen's should be stiffer and I'm sure they are albeit I've been racing on 75's for many many years without issue. In any case they are both great rings. You wouldn't/couldn't go wrong with either.
Old 07-04-18, 10:02 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
In addition to what's mentioned above, Zen chainrings feature what Sugino calls the "SSGN Super Smooth Tooth Profile", which means the tooth valleys are rounder and the side tooth profile is smoother than standard Sugino 75 rings.
Old 07-06-18, 03:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,662 Posts
Also the Super Zen has the S-Cubic coating which is gives it s very smooth coating to make the best even better.

My dream fixed gear drivetrain is Sugino Super Zen Direct Drive crankset with Super Zen Chainring on a Ceramicspeed BB to either a Super Gigas or EAI gold medal cog and probably an Izumi Supertoughness Chain but if there is something better out there in terms of less resistance and smoothness I would go for that in a heart beat. However that of course is the dream balleur no expense spared build that I will probably never achieve, nor would I really want to at least for my normal riding. The chainring, cog and chain yes everything else would be too garish and likely get scratched and damaged on road riding.
Old 07-06-18, 10:25 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
The Zen's tooth profile makes the ride noticeably smoother and quieter than the 75's. It damn near feels like it's riding on ball bearings. I had my bike at the shop the other day and when the owner gave my cranks a spin, he commented that my drivetrain was the smoothest that he'd ever seen, with absolutely no tight spots in the chain as it was rotating.

I actually just ordered a Sugino MC144 today, which is a Zen with the rear indents cut out.

Last edited by StirFry; 07-06-18 at 10:36 PM.