Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 01:45 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Does anyone have a kickstand on their carbon CrossTrail. Kickstands on carbon seem to be a no-no which is annoying. I'm trying to make my CrossTrail a bit more practical and a kickstand would come in real handy.
Old 07-23-18, 10:51 PM
JohnnyMordoc

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travel cover for CrossTrail

Anyone have any experience with a travel cover to transport your CrossTrail safely without getting it all scratched up or tweaking the disc brakes or wheels.

I am looking for something that I can place my bike in to give it some extra protection - .just zip the bike into it without having to do any disassembly or remove anything?

My bike looks to be about 28" (inches) for the handle bars - wheel to wheel looks to be about 67" (inches) and the height tis about 43" (inches).

I did see this one.....at REI.com

https://www.rei.com/product/732407/topeak-bike-cover

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

Last edited by JohnnyMordoc; 07-23-18 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-18, 01:44 PM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Crosstrail adventure
Old 08-19-18, 04:53 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajh800

Crosstrail adventure
Wow!
Old 08-27-18, 05:15 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
For those of you who have a Crosstrail with Microshift 2x9 gearing, I have a question about the shifters. Are there a lot of small clicks to shift from the small to the large chain ring or are there just a few (2-3) clicks. I am just wondering how much you can finesse the derailleur position.
Old 08-27-18, 07:51 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Crosstrail adventure

Incredible photo.
Old 08-28-18, 07:47 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For those of you who have a Crosstrail with Microshift 2x9 gearing, I have a question about the shifters. Are there a lot of small clicks to shift from the small to the large chain ring or are there just a few (2-3) clicks. I am just wondering how much you can finesse the derailleur position.
Ok, I don't have a Microshift setup on my Crosstrail. BUT, did read reviews on these shifters on Amazon. Some are claiming you can shift up 6 speeds on one click. Where as the Shimano Alivio only shifts up 3 speeds at a time. Not sure if it's true or not on 6 speeds, but seems as if you can do multiple upshifts with one click.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-18, 08:56 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crosstrail adventure
I'm jealous! What a view!
Old 08-28-18, 11:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Ok, I don't have a Microshift setup on my Crosstrail. BUT, did read reviews on these shifters on Amazon. Some are claiming you can shift up 6 speeds on one click. Where as the Shimano Alivio only shifts up 3 speeds at a time. Not sure if it's true or not on 6 speeds, but seems as if you can do multiple upshifts with one click.

Hope this helps.

I am thinking about the front shifter. For example with Grip Shift I can click the front derailleur over a few clicks on the same front sprocket. That way if there is a slight rub, I can give it a click, moving the derailleur without shifting the gears.
Old 08-28-18, 11:51 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am thinking about the front shifter. For example with Grip Shift I can click the front derailleur over a few clicks on the same front sprocket. That way if there is a slight rub, I can give it a click, moving the derailleur without shifting the gears.
This type of trimming is generally not available with trigger shifters. It works with rotational shifters where shift "stops" are detents in the rotating barrel (or other such mechanism), and they can add additional detents to allow you to trim the front derailer. This is, in basic form, no different than friction shifting. With ratcheting shifters, though, you generally can't trim them, because they're indexed to specific positions, and adding additional positions would increase the number of downshift clicks on a front derailer. I'm not saying that trimmable ratchet shifters don't exist, but they're not very common if they do.

Are they the Microshift SL-M859? The website doesn't say that they offer front derailer trimming, so I'm guessing that they don't. It would likely be a selling feature if they had that capability.
Old 08-28-18, 02:59 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Those are the ones Hokie. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-18, 09:20 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Thanks for the appreciation, the view point from Sutton Bank is breathtaking.

The forks are ‘eXotic’s by carboncycles. Really stiff and light, cost is about £95 & a good upgrade if you don’t mind having a rigid fork.

It this carbon fork a direct replacement? As in simply bolts right on and the brake caliper is placed correctly...etc etc?

Or do you have to make any adjustments? Like get a larger brake rotor or modify the wheel hubs to fit it somehow?

Does it mess with the Crosstrail's geometry much? Or is it pretty close to the stock suntour fork size?

Last edited by Skipjacks; 08-29-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 10:38 AM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
It this carbon fork a direct replacement? As in simply bolts right on and the brake caliper is placed correctly...etc etc?

Or do you have to make any adjustments? Like get a larger brake rotor or modify the wheel hubs to fit it somehow?

Does it mess with the Crosstrail's geometry much? Or is it pretty close to the stock suntour fork size?
No adjustments at all, everything transferred across. It’s a mtb fork, QR wheel compatible. Geometry is good as far I’m concerned, have used it for 90 mile road ride, mix on/off road epics & commuting. Here’s a couple of pictures showing the brake caliper set up.

Old 08-29-18, 11:33 AM
Skipjacks

No adjustments at all, everything transferred across. It’s a mtb fork, QR wheel compatible. Geometry is good as far I’m concerned, have used it for 90 mile road ride, mix on/off road epics & commuting. Here’s a couple of pictures showing the brake caliper set up.

That's awesome. I am strongly considering this.

You still happy to made the change after all those long distance rides?

Last edited by Skipjacks; 08-29-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 07:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Did it come with the post mount adapter for the brake caliper? Not a big deal, of course, but those looking to buy this fork will need to add a post mount adapter to their order, as most Suntour NEX forks (as found on the Crosstrail) will have the post mounts rather than the IS mount as this fork has.
Old 08-31-18, 03:17 PM
Ajh800

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Did it come with the post mount adapter for the brake caliper? Not a big deal, of course, but those looking to buy this fork will need to add a post mount adapter to their order, as most Suntour NEX forks (as found on the Crosstrail) will have the post mounts rather than the IS mount as this fork has.
The Exotics are fitted to a 2013 Crosstrail, IS was the norm then, along with 9 speed cassette and triple, yes triple, chain rings. Can’t beat it.

Was in the Lake District today, no Crosstrail but a must next time.

Buttermere
Old 09-17-18, 02:54 PM
travbikeman

New Sport, kind of digging new color. Also noticing that the Carbon Crosstrails are currently not on the website. Guessing we will be seeing more updates soon.

Blue Crosstrail Sport

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-17-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 11:33 AM
riot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys. New Crosstrail owner here. Bought the bike to ride with the wife on pavement and do a bit of light trail riding on my own. If I wanted to eventually do away with the stock tires, what set should I look into that would run nice on pavement and good on dirt? Also, I've been reading about tubeless, is that possible on the bike? Everything is stock.
Old 09-24-18, 01:41 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by riot
Hi guys. New Crosstrail owner here. Bought the bike to ride with the wife on pavement and do a bit of light trail riding on my own. If I wanted to eventually do away with the stock tires, what set should I look into that would run nice on pavement and good on dirt? Also, I've been reading about tubeless, is that possible on the bike? Everything is stock.
Tubeless is possible but you might need new wheels.

What kind of light trails? Hard pack dirt? Crush stone? Gravel?
Old 09-24-18, 02:07 PM
riot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard pack dirt
Old 09-24-18, 07:01 PM
travbikeman

This is basically what the Triggers do well, both pavement and light trails. There are many other tires out there that will do the same thing. Are you looking to have more road worthy tires? Or more trail tire? The reason I ask, other tires like the Triggers aren't going to be best at all, just a good all around tire.

What did you not like about the Triggers? Do you get flats often or just looking for a lighter tire?

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/ is one of many places you can research what you want in a bike tire.

I myself have 3 sets of tires that I change out depending on what kind of riding or trail I may ride. I have Specialized Nimbus which is a great pavement tire, still occasionally use the Triggers if I know I will do combination of pavement and gravel trail. But the Triggers do tend to slide a bit on gravel. So I also bought some nice knoby tires for riding on trails like the C&O.

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-24-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 08:00 AM
Skipjacks

Hard pack dirt
If it's dry dirt, keep the Trigger Sport tires that came on the bike.

They are fine on hard pack dirt or hard crushes stone. They don't have enough bite to be really grippy in mud of loose gravel, but then nothing that does have enough grip will be very good on the pavement.

The Trigger Sport tread will wear out down the center stripe on pavement relatively quickly (500 mile or so?) But that will actually make them BETTER pavement tires when the center stripe is smooth. It'll be a lot longer before you've worn the rubber to the cords.

If you want to get into softer dirt, mud, loose gravel, etc check out the tires in this post above (Post #750 in this thread)

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost....&postcount=750

A tread like that will give you more grip in softer terrain but will not be a great pavement tire. It'll work on pavement. It's not like it won't roll. But it'll have more resistance and be harder to peddle on any hard surface.
Old 09-25-18, 10:27 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
What on Earth is Specialized doing about their 2019 range of Crosstrails?

Have they decided they are only going to update every 2 years now?
Old 09-25-18, 02:04 PM
hokiefyd 

I suggest the Schwalbe Hurricane (29x2"), if they'll fit on the Crosstrail. It has a completely smooth center tread, and the ride on pavement is 100% smooth and silent. And there are mid and side knobs that supplement the center tread that come into play off road. They provide better stability than the stock Giant Crosscut tires (700x38), mostly due to their width I think. Check 'em out. They're affordable tires and a terrific value.
Old 09-25-18, 03:33 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What on Earth is Specialized doing about their 2019 range of Crosstrails?

Have they decided they are only going to update every 2 years now?
Well, the Sport and the less expensive Crosstrails were updated with different colors, same specs it appears. So far thats it.

The last two years it seems Specialized was late on updating the web page on the Crosstrails. This year doesn't appear to be different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.