Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are gravel and adventure bikes accepted?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are gravel and adventure bikes accepted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 11:32 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Do I get to ride with the model of each of the types listed? IF so, I'm going hybrid.
We don't force the models to date anyone.
Old 07-20-18, 12:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
To the OP: Why don't You accept gravel bikes?
Old 07-20-18, 12:22 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
In my mind, gravel bikes are basically a road bike with fat tires. They are what road bikes used to be, way back before there was so much pavement (do a search for photos from early Tour de France races). Gravel bikes are marketed as a performance bike with racing and athletic goals. There are events like the Dirty Kanza where people compete and gravel bikes excel. There are great parts of this country populated with roads where a good gravel bike will be your fastest bike.

Hybrid bikes are the everymans bike. Too small a tire for good off roading, so off road riders will find them lacking, and flat bars limit performance on roads (paved or dirt) so roadies will also find them lacking. There is basically no place where a hybrid will be your fastest bike. Their appeal is being able to go most places that most average people take their bikes and having a bent toward comfort for non-cyclists. If honest transportation by bike were more popular in this country, I could see hybrids being more popular. But, most biking is more motivated by fitness than just A-B riding so people own bikes that focus on how they like to get their exercise.
I totally agree with this. Plus some of the roads I ride on are bad, specially in the Spring so instead of switching bike, I put wider tires on my gravel bike. Around late May, I switch to my narrow tires until late Fall were I put back my wider tires for better traction if I get caught commuting back home in the snow.
Old 07-20-18, 01:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
You folks have it all backwards. Instead of debating the latest names, just call your bike by whatever the latest name is. My bike was sold as an "urban" bike, and also as a flat bar road bike. Today, I call it a "gravel" bike, because it sounds more, well, gritty and tough than "adventure" bike. An adventure could just be an adventure to Whole Foods, after all. Next year, who knows?
Old 07-20-18, 01:06 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'm not sure I could identify a gravel or adventure bike without seeing the marketing. Touring bikes had (have?) canti brakes, multiple attachment points, triples, and bar-end shifters. Other than capability to take a 40 mm or maybe 27.5 or 29 vs 700c how do you define the unique feature of these bikes compared to other "road" bikes such as CX or endurance or "anyroad"?

scott s.
Old 07-20-18, 01:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
I look at gravel frames and see lots of BB drop, shallow head tube angle, and lots of top tube rise, bringing the top of the head tube up to saddle height. In other words, hybrid-like geometry. The big clearances don't distinguish this type of frame from popular "CX" and "commuter" bikes, which are essentially long-wheelbase road bikes, but what do I know?

The equipment seems to be a combination of touring and MTB stuff.
Old 07-20-18, 02:14 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is where the terminology gets stupid (not you, the terminology). I ride a "hybrid", marketed as a "fitness bike". Well, what is a fitness bike? It's a flatbar bike that is otherwise optimized for road performance. The FX 3 that I ride is a very fast bike. I'm able to get into a fairly low lean on it that streamlines pretty well. Not as good as a drop bar, but it ain't no hangin' on the couch posture either--it's pretty much the fastest posture my 57 year old spine and prostate can handle. I'm hitting speeds in the mid-20s on the flat, and my "easy" cruising speed is between 19 and 23 mph. But where the bike excels is that it's a monster climber, where wind resistance is less of a factor. I regularly pass "serious" road bikes on hills, watching their riders struggle on grades I'm handling on my large chain ring at steady cadence.

Call it what you want, but it's really a flat bar road bike. I could put different tires on it and it would be a fairly mediocre dirt bike, but the road is definitely where the thing is at home.
It sounds like you have a good fitness level! But, what you're describing is pretty much the "master of none" problem with hybrids. The tires are a bit too wide and the position a bit too upright for the fastest road performance. Meanwhile, the geometry is a bit off and the tires a bit narrow for the fastest off road performance. All that means is it isn't a Corvette and it isn't a Jeep. Too continue the car analogy, it's a Chevy Malibu. That doesn't make it bad, just less exciting than other bikes. Maybe when I think "road bike" I should really say "road race bike". Either way, the marketing guys are going to do their thing and label the bike however they think it will sell the best!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Even longer than that. US Army 25th Infantry, Fort Missoula, Montana, 1896

European uses of the bicycle in this context goes back even further. I suggest Martin Caidin's Bicycles in War.

And on a side note, notice the flat bars?
Any time you're riding a bike with a rifle slung across your back, that qualifies as an adventure! Love the frame storage, but I'll bet their uniform sucks to ride in!

You must have a wider definition of flat bar than I do. Looking at their hand position, I'm seeing swept-back "townie" bars.

I'm interested in their position there though. It looks like these gentlemen are standing behind the saddle, prepared for an up-over-the-back mount? I've not seen that technique that I can recall.
Old 07-20-18, 02:26 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In a few years, people will be complaining about gravel bikes just being heavy road bikes or underbuilt mountain bikes,
People have been doing that all along.
Old 07-20-18, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It sounds like you have a good fitness level! But, what you're describing is pretty much the "master of none" problem with hybrids. The tires are a bit too wide and the position a bit too upright for the fastest road performance. Meanwhile, the geometry is a bit off and the tires a bit narrow for the fastest off road performance. All that means is it isn't a Corvette and it isn't a Jeep. Too continue the car analogy, it's a Chevy Malibu. That doesn't make it bad, just less exciting than other bikes. Maybe when I think "road bike" I should really say "road race bike". Either way, the marketing guys are going to do their thing and label the bike however they think it will sell the best!
My wheels aren't that big--I'm running 32 mm, and my next pair is going to be 28s, if the Gatorskins actually ever wear out--3000 miles and they look like new! I could go smaller, but that's not actually good for speed.

I think you missed the part where I said I'm doing better on it on hills than almost all of the roadies I encounter. I think it is actually a master of it.

With a pair of bar ends, I find this bike to be excellent for fairly fast very long distance distance riding, and from what I've seen, more than a match for most of the road bikes priced at this level. That's a long way from the "grandpa on the lake" image people are describing.
Old 07-20-18, 02:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
The "gravel bikes" and "adventure bikes" are just a current fad. People will sour on them as they learn the limitations just like they did with hybrids.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Absurd.

they are simply a category like so many other styles of bicycle.
Not absurd at all. Fads fade because people find that the promises of the fad aren't up to the hype …..

"Gravel" bikes are just rebadged "cyclocross" bikes which were rebadged touring bikes …..

I doubt there will be a "gravel" category in 5 to 10 years. It's the current flash in pan and it will fade quickly.
As I see it, “gravel” bikes are an outgrowth of CX bikes.

CX bikes were built for racing, No compromises … high bottom brackets, cables on top of the top tube so riders could carry them, geared and tir4ed to run deep mud … built for the single purpose of racing CX.

Some folks didn’t want to race CX and also did want to ride less than perfect pavement, or even packed dirt roads … which are common in a lot of places. (We don’t know about them because we drive cars or ride road bikes. Google your state’s gravel-bike club or association web page.)

Those folks needed a couple bottles, and sometimes wider tires than were needed for pure CX racing. They maybe wanted more relaxed geometry. So … manufacturers started producing something midway between a CX bike and a road bike. People bought them.

Saying they are a fad is just ignorant. Look at how many gravel-riding event there are … and how long those events have been ongoing.

It used to be, a bike could go a lot of places. Balloon tires were about the only difference between ‘any bike” and the first mountain bikes. Mountian bikes got more specialized.

Used to be the English Racer, and then the “drop-bar racer,” were the bikes you could buy. But … if you wanted to tour, you didn’t want race geometry and a bent-over racing posture. So … some bikes got longer head tubes, sturdy frames, places to attach racks ….

Some people wanted flat bars, some didn’t. One of the initial MTB stars (I want to say John somebody … and I want to say Turner but it isn’t … ) recommended drop bars on MTBs … and he raced and won. Whatever.

MTBs were a “fad,” I guess …. Basically people took old Huffys and modded them a little and bombed down mountain trails.

Actually, though everyone talks about Marin County and the early 70s and Repack and all … I read an article about cyclists in postwar France doing stunts on dirt and even trying to convert scooter suspensions to work on bicycles.

Are MTBs just a passing fad? Sure passing slowly.

You could always make do on about any bike … the only limitation was tire width. You could bolt a rack to any bike until CF came along. But bike makers realized there were definite markets shares—that’s groups of people—who wanted bikes to do certain things and didn’t care if they didn’t do other things.

MTBs didn’t have to be as light as road bikes. Touring bikes didn’t either. Both needed wider tires.

And I am sure when CX started, before anyone built a “CX” bike … it was people who put skinny tires and drop bars on rigid MTBs, and others who put fatter tires on road bikes. Eventually, industry people realized there was a market for bikes that came with those features. Are you suggesting CX is a “fad” which is about to go away?

Gravel-riding has always been a thing. What is new, is that now people can Buy a bike made for it, instead of having to either compromise or mod a bike for it.

If it doesn’t appeal to you, super! But it sure does appeal to a lot of people and has for a long time.

“Hybrid” might just be a marketing term, and there might be a lot of other terms which fit … urban bike, comfort bike, fitness bike … depends who the sellers are marketing to. But again, it is a distinct market segment: people who want a bike which puts comfort ahead of performance, versatility ahead of specialization, and who generally don’t want to spend a lot of money on a bike.

Whatever those folks are called, and whatever the marketing department decides to call the product aimed at them this season … again, not a fad.

Shoot … isn’t cycling itself sort of a “fad,” which fades and resurges over the decades?

Yet …. Here we are looking at photos of bikes from 105 years ago or something …. Pretty healthy “fad.”
Old 07-20-18, 03:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
It sounds like you have a good fitness level! But, what you're describing is pretty much the "master of none" problem with hybrids. The tires are a bit too wide and the position a bit too upright for the fastest road performance. Meanwhile, the geometry is a bit off and the tires a bit narrow for the fastest off road performance. All that means is it isn't a Corvette and it isn't a Jeep. Too continue the car analogy, it's a Chevy Malibu. That doesn't make it bad, just less exciting than other bikes.
I'd more call it my underpowered Mitsubishi Outback. A CUV with a weak 4 cylinder engine. Not enough power to go fast on the road. Despite it's looks, it can't really handle offroad. It does a decent job carting the kids to soccer practice and school safely, which is what we bought it for, but it's not really one thing or another. It's just what it is.
Old 07-20-18, 04:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's all about the bars. Flat bars will never be popular.
Yep... that is what I was going to say.

Here is my "Hybrid" to "Gravel/Touring" conversion.

I still think that some hybrid frames make excellent conversion frames. This Jamis Coda frame is a few years old (note quill stem), but it made out of double butted 520 steel.

So far, the frame has been rock solid, and I haven't had the rack heavily loaded, but I haven't felt any flex from the rack and rack mounts.

However, when I got right down to it, I did end up spending a fair amount on the upgrades.

Many of the original components were second rate. Plus, for my use, I like the larger chainrings (although I still have some issues with the rings on the Dura Ace crankset.
Old 07-21-18, 04:16 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I can guarantee that my $7000 carbon fiber Di2 gravel bike handles a variety of surfaces better than most hybrids do.
Would it be better for single track than a Trek DS?
I'm not sure what happened, but I got a notification that you had posted a video as a response, but that post has since been deleted.

Anyway I was able to see this also via the email reminder system of the site, so was able to watch the video you linked and I must say I was quite impressed.

That is a hell of a capable all round bike you have there.
Old 07-21-18, 04:19 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
A flat bar would probably still win since most people...me included...never go to the drops on road bars. I could cut them off just below the brake levers and never miss the lower part. Most of the people I see on road bars are riding the same way. In fact, people who ride in the drops tend to look a bit awkward as they ride.

And, quite frankly, most people in the know would choose flat bars (attached to a mountain bike) over drop bars for any dirt riding more serious than a rail trail. Drops on steep trails is just asking for a visit to an oral surgeon.
I was going to say I am in the flatbar camp, but that is primarily because I believe that handlebars like the Jones H-Bar and Surly Moloko can give people the extra hand positions that a typical flat bar lacks.

However I have a question for you, how well would short drop/reach drop bars work on a setup with a raised stem or stem raiser?

Can one not find the sweetspot where you can get lower for the more aero tuck than you can on a flatbar, but not as low as one does on a traditional roadbike/dropbar setup?
Please don't let fear hold you back from responding.
Old 07-21-18, 06:02 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
You mean, cycle with an over-muscled tattooed airhead who hasn't worked out what the pedals are for or with the nice lady in blue? .
Hybrid, obviously.
I'm riding with the lady too.
Old 07-21-18, 06:38 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I should also add that in some circles they aren't. I've taken gravelly "hybrid" bikes (yet with drop bars and slicks) to road club rides and there is the usual derision. This dries up when you prove you can ride (and they recall that all the stuff they said means you rode at their pace on a "slow" bike), but it is still there.

I also get the same thing every time I bring a drop-bar bike to the trails - I don't have a flat bar bike right now (or one with a suspension).

Elitists are still going to be elitists (and there does seem to be a correlation between expressing that elitism and how much they've spent on their frames), but if you know what you are doing they won't say much. I bet if you brought a walmart hybrid to either sort of ride and kicked ass people wouldn't say much, either.
Old 07-21-18, 08:03 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
I should also add that in some circles they aren't. I've taken gravelly "hybrid" bikes (yet with drop bars and slicks) to road club rides and there is the usual derision. This dries up when you prove you can ride (and they recall that all the stuff they said means you rode at their pace on a "slow" bike), but it is still there.

I also get the same thing every time I bring a drop-bar bike to the trails - I don't have a flat bar bike right now (or one with a suspension).

Elitists are still going to be elitists (and there does seem to be a correlation between expressing that elitism and how much they've spent on their frames), but if you know what you are doing they won't say much. I bet if you brought a walmart hybrid to either sort of ride and kicked ass people wouldn't say much, either.
Couple years back on our state cycling tour we had a gal in our tent circle who brought their hardtail 29er with knobbies for a paved SAG'd cycling tour. One day at camp a few elitist types thought they'd be "helpful"..."informing" and mansplaining to her about how slow her bike was making her, and how hard and un-enjoyable that bike made the ride.... She stayed quiet, smiled knowingly, uttered the exactly appropriate "ohs" at the right time in response, and said "thanks!", and rolled her eyes after they left.

That gal was the state MTB champion, and brought her 29er to train on...and could ride the legs off basically everyone on their skinny-tire rigs on the entire 300-person ride on her 29er.
Old 07-21-18, 08:18 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I beg to differ. Long before the inventors of the mountain bike were born, there were road bikes. Roads then were not typically paved as they are now, and they ran drop bars. I'd maintain that this photo from the 1904 Tour de France shows a gravel bike.

What an awesome picture. I think the way his bike fits him is extremely important. His hands are in the drops yet his position, his stance, appear to indicate that at least with this particular bike, the bike's geometry isn't similar (in relation to fit) to today. Despite the angle of the shot (great by the way!).
Old 07-21-18, 08:21 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
By the way, is that a Matchless? (the motorcycle)

Last edited by shrtdstncrdr; 07-22-18 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Clarifying between bike and motorcycle
Old 07-22-18, 07:21 AM
pdoege

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gravel bikes are great for the fire roads in the Rockies
Old 07-22-18, 08:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
The "gravel bikes" and "adventure bikes" are just a current fad. People will sour on them as they learn the limitations just like they did with hybrids.
Cy, your comment seems prescient because yesterday the following was pub'd on Bike Radar:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/artic...-or-not-52692/

And what's more, the following statement from the article sounds like a common complaint against hybrids:

Originally Posted by TheAboveLinkedArticle
I increasingly feel that gravel bikes fit into a decreasingly-sized niche ... where they purport to be able to do everything, but in fact do nothing fantastically.
Unexpected! Some nice scenery in one of the article photos though.
Old 07-22-18, 08:26 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Gravel bikes ride on gravel fantastically.

I feel like the author of the above linked article and many in this thread seem to be missing that key point.

Call them "Do it all" bikes if you want but hey are for gravel, and they do it really, really well.

-Tim-
Old 07-22-18, 08:39 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The best bike for gravel grinding is a rigid forked MTB with flat bars and bar ends and 2++ inch tires.
Old 07-22-18, 11:50 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
The answer was market(ing) segmentation. If GM could sell Cadillacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Chevrolets, Trek and Specialized can sell road bikes, endurance bikes, grand fondo bikes, adventure bikes, gravel grinders, hard tail mtbs, soft tail mtbs, fitness bikes, hybrid bikes, comfort bikes, cruisers, touring bikes... have we had enough bikes yet?

Good enough! Let's forget all this and go riding...

For around the bend comes Rydabent to tell us about recumbents...
You forgot Fixties....
Old 07-23-18, 06:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Cy, your comment seems prescient because yesterday the following was pub'd on Bike Radar:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/artic...-or-not-52692/
Huh. I am not on the same page as that author at all.

First, I never thought gravel bikes were supposed to be good off road.

Second, I never, ever miss narrow tires on pavement.

His description of these being a "niche" is kind of ridiculous, IMO. They are just the opposite. They are the most versitile, IMO. If anything is a "niche" bike it is skinny tired road bikes. A wide tired road bike excels on pavement AND gravel, a skinny tired road bike only on pavement.

As far as an mtb on gravel roads: Sure, if you are mixing mtb trails into the ride. But pretty much any time I am riding a mix of gravel and trail, I am just going to ride wherever is more fun on the trail.

I used to own a skinny tired road bike, a HT (sometimes rigid, sometime with front shock) and a 5" FS MTB. Since getting a road bike that can take 38mm tires, I've ditched the skinny tired road bike, and almost never ride the HT.

Different strokes, I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.