Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Old 05-31-15, 09:13 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
Maybe, in 5 years, we'll finally get those hover boards we were supposed to get this year?
Canadian sets record for farthest flight by hoverboard | Canada | News | Toronto
And even better than Marty's, since it works over water.

Last edited by cooker; 05-31-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-31-15, 05:20 PM
TuckertonRR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I predict the country will be slightly poorer, worse off, and infrastructure in general (both road & rail, as well as gas, water, sewerage systems) will be slightly worse off. No "driverless" vehicles of any type will be in any use other than at an experimental level.
Old 05-31-15, 05:42 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The First Driverless Transit System in the U.S. Starts Rolling in 2017
Old 05-31-15, 06:43 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Thanks, although I'm hoping people make their own predictions.
Old 05-31-15, 07:03 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Cooker, no that was a response to TuckertonRR. I'm still thinking. Hybrids? EVs? What percentage of the domestic fleet? Looking to see where the corporate and government money is going before I place a bet.
Old 05-31-15, 07:10 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I predict I will have given up on this experiment and will have a plug in Hybrid for taking my wife shopping and an E-Bike for most of my personal trips.
Old 05-31-15, 07:13 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Cooker, no that was a response to TuckertonRR. I'm still thinking. Hybrids? EVs? What percentage of the domestic fleet? Looking to see where the corporate and government money is going before I place a bet.
ok - looking forward to it.
Old 06-02-15, 08:09 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I guess I'm late to this one. In the next five years we'll see.

1. Better Transit Apps -- Transit Apps for smart phones still have a way to go. They are not 100% accurate and get confused if multiple bus lines share the same road. For some reason, the Apps cannot tell if the bus arrived at the depot?

2. More Millennials will be car free --- This is the first generation that will not be better off then their parents. They tend to procreate less, live in apartments and use public transit.

3. More Carfree zones --- Cities are for the first time investing in carfree zones that have no access for motor vehicles. They are not doing this for environmental reasons but to receive an increase in sales tax revenue.

4. More people will be living in vehicles --- As housing cost and rents continue to skyrocket, we'll see more people living in RVs, Campers, Vans, trucks and cars. The abundance of low paying minimum wage jobs making it impossible for tens of thousands to live in doors. Living in a vehicle will be considered normal and maybe someone to be envied.

5. The summers will be hotter and droughts longer -- We will continue to see more droughts as ice packs do not return. We'll see more cities building dams and desalination plants will provide water for millions who used to depend on wells.

6. Public Transit -- The number of people taking public transit will continue to increase. The transit of choice will be the bus but long term rail projects will be started and develope over 10 years.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 06-02-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 09:25 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
2. More Millennials will be car free --- This is the first generation that will not be better off then their parents. They tend to procreate less, live in apartments and use public transit. ...
4. More people will be living in vehicles --- As housing cost and rents continue to skyrocket, we'll see more people living in RVs, Campers, Vans, trucks and cars. The abundance of low paying minimum wage jobs making it impossible for tens of thousands to live in doors. Living in a vehicle will be considered normal and maybe someone to be envied.
So some people will be car free and some home free.
Old 06-03-15, 07:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
So some people will be car free and some home free.
Some people will be both; and some other people will feel a kinship towards those car free and homeless people who are living what the dreamers think are such simple, uncluttered, zen-like lives.
Old 06-03-15, 07:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Some people will be both; and some other people will feel a kinship towards those car free and homeless people who are living what the dreamers think are such simple, uncluttered, zen-like lives.
Is that your prediction?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-03-15, 11:21 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

There are in fact some like that on bikeforums and I do feel a kinship, even though I couldn't live that way myself.
Old 06-03-15, 11:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

There are in fact some like that on bikeforums and I do feel a kinship, even though I couldn't live that way myself.
I'll tell you, my recent health crisis and inability to work leaves me very much feeling kinship with the homeless. I don't think I will be joining them, but it is no longer a very long trip for most Americans these days! You never know what tomorrow will bring...

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-03-15, 12:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
I'll tell you, my recent health crisis and inability to work leaves me very much feeling kinship with the homeless. I don't think I will be joining them, but it is no longer a very long trip for most Americans these days! You never know what tomorrow will bring...
The best way to avoid becoming homeless is to do what you can to provide for your long term needs. But regardless of what you do, you can't usually conduct a life that is not subject to the possibility of various catastrophes such as this and worse. And thankfully, better! Knock on wood so far.

I feel compelled always towards humility and the open recognition that we are not immune.
Old 06-25-15, 01:23 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I-Like-To-Bike predicting nobody will cater to electric bike/vehicle power needs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post17926370
Old 06-25-15, 05:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I-Like-To-Bike predicting nobody will cater to electric bike/vehicle power needs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post17926370
In response to YOUR predictions that the needs of e-bike (and e-car) users will be accommodated wherever they may be located (specifically electric outlets for charging wherever e-bikes are parked on public streets and parking lots).

BTW, the phrase "few landlords, government agencies or business concerns will furnish a solution to a problem that exists only in your fantasies" does not mean "nobody."

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post17925250
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post17925854
Old 06-25-15, 05:21 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

In response to YOUR predictions
Fair point.
Old 06-27-15, 12:59 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
In five years Massachusetts politicians will still be arguing about how to fix the T, and the equipment will be five years older and even more unreliable. This will lead to the greatest gridlock in local history and finally make people wake up.

Last edited by ironwood; 06-27-15 at 01:01 PM. Reason: forgot some words
Old 06-27-15, 01:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ironwood
In five years Massachusetts politicians will still be arguing about how to fix the T, and the equipment will be five years older and even more unreliable. This will lead to the greatest gridlock in local history and finally make people wake up.
What do you predict "the people" will do when they "wake up"?
Old 06-27-15, 02:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

What do you predict "the people" will do when they "wake up"?
Presumably push the politicians to "fix the 'T'".
Old 06-28-15, 01:39 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Drivers might realize that a poorly run public transportation system impacts them. Around here automobiles have almost reached the saturation point. There won't be room for many more cars in parts of the city. An accident at certain places can stop traffic all over the city. As to what they will do, I hope they might insist on a well run system, It probably won't happen in the next five years however.
Old 06-29-15, 06:36 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by ironwood
Drivers might realize that a poorly run public transportation system impacts them. Around here automobiles have almost reached the saturation point. There won't be room for many more cars in parts of the city. An accident at certain places can stop traffic all over the city. As to what they will do, I hope they might insist on a well run system, It probably won't happen in the next five years however.
I think this is a great prediction.

I first drove in Boston about 35 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, cars were at the saturation point then. I know they have spent billions of dollars on "fixes" since then. From what I can see, the fixes have resulted in cramming more cars on the roads, but have had no effect on the basic problems.

Boston is a great city. It can become much greater if they improve to a state of the art transit system, then begin projects that will drastically reduce traffic congestion. They should consider some fairly drastic measures such as congestion fees, reduction of parking, and placing restrictive carfree zones and traffic choke points. But first they MUST ensure good transit to keep the city moving efficiently as they reduce the number of cars.

Within five years, I predict that public opinion in Boston will be swinging around and there will be significant pressure to beef up transit and reduce car access. The actual process of fixing the problem will take decades, but big improvements could be seen sooner.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-29-15, 08:18 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Boston is a great city. It can become much greater if they improve to a state of the art transit system, then begin projects that will drastically reduce traffic congestion. They should consider some fairly drastic measures such as congestion fees, reduction of parking, and placing restrictive carfree zones and traffic choke points. But first they MUST ensure good transit to keep the city moving efficiently as they reduce the number of cars.

Within five years, I predict that public opinion in Boston will be swinging around and there will be significant pressure to beef up transit and reduce car access. The actual process of fixing the problem will take decades, but big improvements could be seen sooner.
As discussed elsewhere, they've been experimenting with reducing the number of parking spots required in apartment buildings in certain areas. That both acknowledges that people are owning fewer cars, and encourages it.
Old 06-29-15, 08:22 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

As discussed elsewhere, they've been experimenting with reducing the number of parking spots required in apartment buildings in certain areas. That both acknowledges that people are owning fewer cars, and encourages it.
Where do you think they'll be with this in five years?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-29-15, 08:41 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Where do you think they'll be with this in five years?
I can't give specific numbers, but I bet the trend will continue and expand. I learned from a quiz show that Boston is the third densest American city (I assume after New York - and maybe Chicago?) and as they do infill apartments downtown it will get even denser, and having a car will simultaneously get more difficult and less necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.