Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 04:38 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

For those who are car-lite, I wonder what tempts you to cheat. I am assuming that when you choose to be 'car-lite,' you are trying to avoid driving by putting extra effort into doing things without a car that you could do more easily with a car. Are there things that you teeter between doing with or without car? Are there times when you take the car for some reason but you think about how you could have done it car-free the whole time? Do you ever wish you could just go completely car-free for the sake of simplifying the choice of whether to drive or not to drive?

Old 03-28-18, 05:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Dude ... you cannot "cheat" when there are no rules.

Because only for you is "car-free" or "car-lite" a religious issue, where you can "sin" or 'disobey commandments" or "cheat" does this seem to make sense.

There is no valid concept of "cheating" when it comes to car-free or car-lite. There are no rules.
Old 03-28-18, 10:05 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Because only for you is "car-free" or "car-lite" a religious issue, where you can "sin" or 'disobey commandments" or "cheat" does this seem to make sense.

There is no valid concept of "cheating" when it comes to car-free or car-lite. There are no rules.
This, x1000.
Old 03-28-18, 03:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

+1. I'm not into guilt or shame, that's one of many reasons I gave up religion.

But to play along with the OP anyway: there is the occasional day when the weather forecast is for continuous rain, and so I drive to work. And if the rain never materializes, I do regret not riding. But I get over it pretty quickly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 03-28-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 05:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Welcome to Car-lite Anonymous?
Old 03-28-18, 06:50 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Cheating only applies in contests, where there is a winner and loser. There's no winner or loser when someone decides whether to take their car (okay, maybe the environment, lol). Why try to create guilt?
Old 03-29-18, 01:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
For those who are car-lite, I wonder what tempts you to cheat. I am assuming that when you choose to be 'car-lite,' you are trying to avoid driving by putting extra effort into doing things without a car that you could do more easily with a car. Are there things that you teeter between doing with or without car? Are there times when you take the car for some reason but you think about how you could have done it car-free the whole time? Do you ever wish you could just go completely car-free for the sake of simplifying the choice of whether to drive or not to drive?
I don't frame it as cheating when I drive, but I do set myself a bit of a personal challenge to try to drive as little as possible, so when I do drive I am not meeting that challenge. Usually I have a perfectly good reason for driving, like I have a short window of time to get a haircut or buy beer or whatever, or I'm just getting over the flu, or a non-biking family member wants to go with me, so I drive and don't sweat it. But rather than feel bad about those times I still drive, I instead take some pleasure in how often I meet the challenge of not driving.
Old 03-29-18, 01:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Welcome to Car-lite Anonymous?
My name is Indyfabz, and I have a problem. A couple of times this winter, when it was really cold out, I drove a couple of miles early in the morning to shop for special dinner fixings when I could have walked or taken the bus. Does that mean I cheated? Am I a bad person even though my 21 month old car has about only 4,400 on it, some of which were put on for field visits for work when no other form of transportation was remotely practicable?
Old 03-29-18, 02:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
The easiest way is to drop your car insurance.

I presume that if I really need to drive, I can re-up my auto insurance... but that is also a big expensive hassle

Oops, the registration has also expired.

Start posting on the commuting distance page...
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ge-thread.html

Whew, I've got to get in a few more rides, otherwise I'll never keep up.
Old 03-29-18, 03:52 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
For those who are car-lite, I wonder what tempts you to cheat. I am assuming that when you choose to be 'car-lite,' you are trying to avoid driving by putting extra effort into doing things without a car that you could do more easily with a car.

Are there things that you teeter between doing with or without car? Are there times when you take the car for some reason but you think about how you could have done it car-free the whole time? Do you ever wish you could just go completely car-free for the sake of simplifying the choice of whether to drive or not to drive?
Dude... you cannot "cheat" when there are no rules.

Because only for you is "car-free" or "car-lite" a religious issue, where you can "sin" or 'disobey commandments"or "cheat" does this seem to make sense.

There is no valid concept of "cheating" when it comes to car-free orcar-lite. There are no rules.
Originally Posted by cooker
I don't frame it as cheating when I drive, but I do set myself a bit of a personal challenge to try to drive as little as possible, so when I do drive I am not meeting that challenge. Usually I have a perfectly good reason for driving…

But rather than feel bad about those times I still drive, I instead take some pleasure in how often I meet the challenge of not driving.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My name is Indyfabz, and I have a problem.A couple of times this winter, when it was really cold out, I drove a couple of miles early in the morning to shop for special dinner fixings when I could have walked or taken the bus.

Does that mean I cheated? Am I a bad person
Hi @indyfabz,

Maybe succumb is a better term?
Old 03-29-18, 04:37 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My name is Indyfabz, and I have a problem. A couple of times this winter, when it was really cold out, I drove a couple of miles early in the morning to shop for special dinner fixings when I could have walked or taken the bus. Does that mean I cheated? Am I a bad person even though my 21 month old car has about only 4,400 on it, some of which were put on for field visits for work when no other form of transportation was remotely practicable?
Yes. You should be ashamed of yourself. Driving is simply inexcusable under any circumstances
Old 03-29-18, 04:56 PM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm car free at this point but at one point I was car-lite (drove all of 11,000-12,000 miles over 4 years and that includes several vacation trips about 400 miles away to see family). My biggest problem was there were plenty of times where I drove 1-2 mile trips when it was perfectly nice out and great weather to walk/ride but ugh... too much work and I'm tired. It was easy to come up with excuses to drive, even real short distances.
Old 03-29-18, 05:18 PM
tandempower

I don't frame it as cheating when I drive, but I do set myself a bit of a personal challenge to try to drive as little as possible, so when I do drive I am not meeting that challenge. Usually I have a perfectly good reason for driving, like I have a short window of time to get a haircut or buy beer or whatever, or I'm just getting over the flu, or a non-biking family member wants to go with me, so I drive and don't sweat it. But rather than feel bad about those times I still drive, I instead take some pleasure in how often I meet the challenge of not driving.
Do you ever think about how you could have done it without driving while you're driving?

I do, namely. I was walking about 30 miles to catch a bus the other day and I was looking at the trucks at a dealership thinking about how I could get one and use it to haul building materials, but then I realized that I'd be in debt and I'd have to pay gas and insurance, etc. and then I'd have to build more than I want and cater to potential buyers' whims and aesthetic preferences, and then I realized it would be more enslavement that it would be worth; plus if I had driven I wouldn't be enjoying the epic 30 mile hike, which was intensely rewarding as well as fatiguing.

Last edited by tandempower; 03-29-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 10:16 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Do you ever think about how you could have done it without driving while you're driving?
Of course, and over time I've used the car less because of that.
Old 03-30-18, 12:31 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Of course, and over time I've used the car less because of that.
Are you now redefining car light? I thought it was a personal thing? If you gave up driving one day a week rather than seven you were becoming car light. How can one cheat on that principal?

Are we now into defining how much is required to be called car light? Are there credits to be earned? Who determines what cheating is?
Old 03-30-18, 01:12 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You need to expand on the motto OP, like I do for using stairs vs elevator: equal to or less than 3, go elevator free. In the case of your bike, you can't take it to a concert. When you go shopping, you're limited by the number or size of the packages you will be carrying. So some venues will exclude you by design, others by convenience.
Old 03-30-18, 06:54 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Are you now redefining car light? I thought it was a personal thing? If you gave up driving one day a week rather than seven you were becoming car light. How can one cheat on that principal?

Are we now into defining how much is required to be called car light? Are there credits to be earned? Who determines what cheating is?
I'm certainly not redefining it - it has a pretty loose definition and I'm fine with that. In light of that, I don't consider some use of the car to be "cheating" - I don't think that word applies. I do have a personal agenda of trying to minimize my car use, so when I do use it I might feel a bit of regret that I didn't or couldn't use an alternate method like walking, biking, or public transit. But I haven't "cheated" because there's no stone tablet or official LCL players handbook that defines what car use is acceptible or not.

Last edited by cooker; 03-30-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 07:18 AM
22ster
Banned.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are absolutely right it IS 'Cheating.' Whether to drive a car is part of a belief system because materialism is a never ending cycle of desire enslaving us through consumerism, passions not possessions brings happiness and all of the best/efficient designs are the most simple, that includes the way the we live.

So, when we go against this, we are cheating ourselves. Religion is a belief, they all teach good things, its the lack of beliefs that causes the problems, the cheating. You are right to try your hardest.

I believe the Earth is flat, ships always appear mast first. Life is simple.

I have a car, I plan on using it far less, hopefully stop altogether, because I want to stop cheating myself, I don't want to be a slave, I want to be free, I want to start with the man in the mirror and be a better person to myself, then I will change the world. God bless.
Old 03-30-18, 07:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi @indyfabz,

I can't understand your comment. Too much noise the way you post so I skip over your comments.
Old 03-30-18, 08:14 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by 22ster
You are absolutely right it IS 'Cheating.' Whether to drive a car is part of a belief system because materialism is a never ending cycle of desire enslaving us through consumerism, passions not possessions brings happiness and all of the best/efficient designs are the most simple, that includes the way the we live.

So, when we go against this, we are cheating ourselves. Religion is a belief, they all teach good things, its the lack of beliefs that causes the problems, the cheating. You are right to try your hardest.

I believe the Earth is flat, ships always appear mast first. Life is simple.

I have a car, I plan on using it far less, hopefully stop altogether, because I want to stop cheating myself, I don't want to be a slave, I want to be free, I want to start with the man in the mirror and be a better person to myself, then I will change the world. God bless.
Ok, cheers; but be careful posting religious language in the regular forums outside of P&R. You could get yourself in trouble and the last thing this forum needs is to lose inspired participants because they trigger anti-religious zeal.
Old 03-30-18, 08:55 AM
Jim from Boston

For those who are car-lite, I wonder what tempts you to cheat
Dude...you cannot "cheat" when there are no rules.
I don't frame it as cheating when I drive, …
My nameis Indyfabz, and I have a problem…..

Does that mean I cheated? Am I a bad person
Hi @indyfabz,

I can't understand your comment. Too much noise the way you post so I skip over your comments.
to cheated.

I quoted more extensively the preceding posts in my original reply because I thought they were well written viewpoints on the topic of the OP.

There is an Internet initialism,“tl;dr” (too long; didn’t read); I guess I inspire “tc;dr” (too complicated; didn’t read) .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-30-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 09:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
There is an Internet initialism,“tl;dr” (too long; didn’t read); I guess I inspire “tc;dr” (too complicated; didn’t read) . [/FONT][/COLOR]
te;db

Took effort, didn't bother.

Dude, where is that self-reading tablet? Doesn't technology produce anything useful? I can't wait for AI so I don't have to use my own.

Old 03-30-18, 10:17 AM
Jim from Boston

…There is an Internet initialism,“tl;dr”(too long; didn’t read); I guess I inspire “tc;dr” (too complicated;didn’t read) .
te;db

Dude, where is that self-reading tablet? Doesn't technology produce anythinguseful? I can't wait for AI so I don't have to use my own.

Thanks for your effort, and bothering to write.

I have previously posted,
what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are not the only poster who likes to use BF and LCF as a place to post a diary of personal thoughts or so-called "lifestyle" activities.

In fact some threads on LCF are dominated by one posters's personal blogging notes and photos. Probably can't find too many people to sit through "What I did on My Vacation" or "What I did on My Weekend" slide shows anymore, even when accompanied with commentary.

I thought that is what Facebook or blogs was for but apparently that outlet is not suitable for all.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-30-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 10:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Car-Lite people maintain a vehicle which they use when they need it.
Isn't that what ALL car people do?
Old 03-30-18, 10:42 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
When reading is an effort, its just written badly.

te;db

Dude, where is that self-reading tablet?
Doesn't technology produce anything useful? I can't wait for AI so I don't have to use my own.

The brain is a muscle. If you don't use it, it will atrophy. That said, communication is a fine art, and some do it it a lot better than others. If it's written well, reading should be a pleasure, not an efforts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.