Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 11:46 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Thing is, that's not the fault of religion. Banning religion doesn't ban hostility. More likely, just the opposite.That can be good or bad.I couldn't agree more, however, most people are ethnocentric and scoff at anything new. So if it isn't their way or what they're use to, then you're automatically wrong.

I was always taught to embrace other cultures and extend courtesies as far as I can so long as they don't violate my fundamental beliefs. I draw the line at human sacrifices.
Let's not get sidetracked with discussing the merits of religion in a thread about car-light living. Do you see LCL as a rule-based lifestyle where certain driving situations are against the rules, or as a more flexible situation where driving is simply one of several options? Or to use your own example if you take an elevator 2 floors have you cheated, or is it simply an occasional harmless variation?
Old 04-01-18, 11:59 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Of course there is a temptation to cheat at trying to be car light... It's there every day I don't want to ride my bike because of weather ... I jump into the car and go to Timmies and get my coffee driving, instead of pedalling, even tho I want to cut down on driving the car. Thus I am cheating myself as it would seem that I am not as car light as I want to be...
Old 04-01-18, 12:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You're only cheating if you say you're gong to live like your forefathers 150 years ago and then use modern day appliances. If they didn't have it then, you can't use it today. That's clear and present rule that's easily defined. However, my view is, don't bite off more than you can chew.

For example, I can say that if its 3 floors or less I won't use the elevator. But I would never claims an elevator free lifestyle in the 21st Century. That would be unpractical.
Old 04-01-18, 01:10 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You're only cheating if you say you're gong to live like your forefathers 150 years ago and then use modern day appliances. If they didn't have it then, you can't use it today. That's clear and present rule that's easily defined. However, my view is, don't bite off more than you can chew.

For example, I can say that if its 3 floors or less I won't use the elevator. But I would never claims an elevator free lifestyle in the 21st Century. That would be unpractical.
No, I am cheating because... Lets say I decided to make a life stile change, to ride my bicycle to get my hit of coffee instead of driving my car, then the first day it rained I drove my car... That is a fail in my book, because I could still have ridden my bike but didn't, because it was "easier/better". I cheated on the promise I made to myself to not use the car for getting coffee, yes I should have put a rainy day caveat in there, and then I would not have cheated and could drive whenever it rained and still conceder myself successful at being car light...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-01-18 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 04-01-18, 02:48 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
No, I am cheating because... Lets say I decided to make a life stile change, to ride my bicycle to get my hit of coffee instead of driving my car, then the first day it rained I drove my car... That is a fail in my book, because I could still have ridden my bike but didn't, because it was "easier/better". I cheated on the promise I made to myself to not use the car for getting coffee, yes I should have put a rainy day caveat in there, and then I would not have cheated and could drive whenever it rained and still conceder myself successful at being car light...
So if you replace failure with cheating is that so you can still be called car light rather than failing. People normally cheat to win rather than lose or fail.

Let us add the term LCF to the mix. When one rides in a car, or truck are they cheaters or failures?

So when you cheat what are you cheating for? What do you win by cheating?
Old 04-01-18, 03:30 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
So if you replace failure with cheating is that so you can still be called car light rather than failing. People normally cheat to win rather than lose or fail.

Let us add the term LCF to the mix. When one rides in a car, or truck are they cheaters or failures?

So when you cheat what are you cheating for? What do you win by cheating?
You cheat and would win by not getting wet.
You cheat and would fail because you didn't keep your promise to yourself to only ride the bicycle to get coffee.
But if you made the exemption to allow yourself to drive on rainy days you would still succeed in being car light because you ride the bike on most days and only drive the car on wet days which means you didn't cheat...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-01-18 at 03:55 PM. Reason: use intention instead of caveat
Old 04-01-18, 03:41 PM
Mobile 155

You cheat and would win by not getting wet.
You cheat and would fail because you didn't keep your promise to yourself to only ride the bicycle to get coffee.
But if you made the caveat to allow yourself to drive on rainy days you would still succeed in being car light because you ride the bike on most days and only drive the car on wet days which means you didn't cheat...

Clear, when you cheat you fail at being car light. Got it. On those days are you car not car light?
Old 04-01-18, 03:52 PM
350htrr

Clear, when you cheat you fail at being car light. Got it. On those days are you car not car light?
If the intention was to not be driving the car to get coffee, any driving of the car to get coffee is cheating.

If the intention was to ride the bike more and not drive the car as much, then driving the car to get coffee on rainy days is NOT cheating as long as you ride the bike the other days...
Old 04-01-18, 04:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If the initial plan was that you would never use the car to get coffee, then getting coffee in your car would be ... a change of plan.

Seriously ... if a friend gives you a ride to an event in another city you really want to attend but could not ride to and back from in the time you have free .. . shouldn't you slit your never-again-car-free throat? or hang yourself with an old inner tube (add an entry to that thread as well.)

But if you do try to ride ... and draft a car briefly ... again, how can you call that "car-free"?

If while out riding you get hit by a car and break your bike so badly you cannot ride and break your body so badly you cannot walk ... you certainly can't get in an ambulance .. . you can't even call a cab, or a friend, to come pick you up. You just need to lie there until you are well enough to crawl home.

And if you get arrested for loitering after lying on the roadside for too long, and get taken to jail in a police cruiser ... you had best hang yourself in jail, because you have forever ruined your "car-free" status.

If all this sounds ridiculous ... great, now you see how i see most of the posts on this page.

I started car-free/car-lite decades ago .... I couldn't get up every morning and look in the mirror if I had such a silly set of moral strictures.

I Choose car-lite because it is my general preference. it is not my faith or my path or my Way, it is just my preference. And when it doesn't make sense, I make a different choice.

With all the abuse and incidental injury most people suffer on a daily basis, adding to that self-inflicted injury .... I don't see the sense.

If i want to be self-critical ... I would rather notice actual faults, which actually impede my growth and hinder others. Lacking compassion, being impatient, being to ready to bicker, dismissing people who have not thought through their lives and beliefs and cannot express themselves well .... those ar "faults" which I try to change.

I could never ride in a car for the rest of my life, it wouldn't make me a better person and really, it wouldn't make the world any better either.
Old 04-01-18, 05:04 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If the initial plan was that you would never use the car to get coffee, then getting coffee in your car would be ... a change of plan.

Seriously ... if a friend gives you a ride to an event in another city you really want to attend but could not ride to and back from in the time you have free .. . shouldn't you slit your never-again-car-free throat? or hang yourself with an old inner tube (add an entry to that thread as well.)

But if you do try to ride ... and draft a car briefly ... again, how can you call that "car-free"?

If while out riding you get hit by a car and break your bike so badly you cannot ride and break your body so badly you cannot walk ... you certainly can't get in an ambulance .. . you can't even call a cab, or a friend, to come pick you up. You just need to lie there until you are well enough to crawl home.

And if you get arrested for loitering after lying on the roadside for too long, and get taken to jail in a police cruiser ... you had best hang yourself in jail, because you have forever ruined your "car-free" status.

If all this sounds ridiculous ... great, now you see how i see most of the posts on this page.

I started car-free/car-lite decades ago .... I couldn't get up every morning and look in the mirror if I had such a silly set of moral strictures.

I Choose car-lite because it is my general preference. it is not my faith or my path or my Way, it is just my preference. And when it doesn't make sense, I make a different choice.

With all the abuse and incidental injury most people suffer on a daily basis, adding to that self-inflicted injury .... I don't see the sense.

If i want to be self-critical ... I would rather notice actual faults, which actually impede my growth and hinder others. Lacking compassion, being impatient, being to ready to bicker, dismissing people who have not thought through their lives and beliefs and cannot express themselves well .... those ar "faults" which I try to change.

I could never ride in a car for the rest of my life, it wouldn't make me a better person and really, it wouldn't make the world any better either.
WOW, I can't believe I explained myself and my logic that badly...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-01-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 06:02 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Choosing to be "car-light" and proceeding to actually do so is somehow "cheating"?
The constant drone of disapproval and hair-shirted righteousness over what are simple everyday choices in transportation has the stink of self-righteous pseudo-aestheticism in the LCF sub-forum.

-Bandera
Old 04-01-18, 06:28 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Bandera
Choosing to be "car-light" and proceeding to actually do so is somehow "cheating"?
The constant drone of disapproval and hair-shirted righteousness over what are simple everyday choices in transportation has the stink of self-righteous pseudo-aestheticism in the LCF sub-forum.

-Bandera
WOW, another one... I know I am not an "A" student in English, but, how is that anywhere near what I said...???

Holly sheite, I actually agree with reducing the cars footprint in our society, Meaning trying to live life LCF... It's the how we count it, meaning it's a + towards car-light that I am trying to address... It's personal, it's fluctuating, it's depending on circumstance, it's... I am F'n speechless...
Old 04-01-18, 06:48 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
WOW, another one...
Mine was a general statement on the sub-forum's unfortunate tone, but if the hair shirt fits ....

-Bandera
Old 04-02-18, 07:35 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Mine was a general statement on the sub-forum's unfortunate tone, but if the hair shirt fits ....

-Bandera
No it's not the general tone. If you read the thread, most people don't go along with the notion that certain instances of car use by an LCL person are "cheating". And even those who do somewhat go along with it are saying it only applies as a self-criticism for people who are not meeting standards or objectives they set for themselves. And even then, they are still living car-light, just not as car-light as they as individuals expected of themselves.

Last edited by cooker; 04-02-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 08:50 AM
350htrr

Originally Posted by cooker
No it's not the general tone. If you read the thread, most people don't go along with the notion that certain instances of car use by an LCL person are "cheating". And even those who do somewhat go along with it are saying it only applies as a self-criticism for people who are not meeting standards or objectives they set for themselves. And even then, they are still living car-light, just not as car-light as they as individuals expected of themselves.
Well said. Here in LCF, it seems that when a person says they "cheated" by using a car I too think they mean they think they cheated themselves, they cheated on their expectations on how car light they wanted to be...
Old 04-02-18, 11:36 AM
Mobile 155

Well said. Here in LCF, it seems that when a person says they "cheated" by using a car I too think they mean they think they cheated themselves, they cheated on their expectations on how car light they wanted to be...
I just think the concept of cheating is being stretched too poetically to be understood. To ask a group if they are tempted to cheat there needs to be a standard to measure against. It is like the words lying or stealing. It has a definition that is not nebulous. When you say you cheat at golf I would understand just what you were talking about. However I might not understand if you said you cheated by wearing gloves or not wearing gloves while playing the game.
cheating (present participle)
act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
"she always cheats at cards"

If you drive you F350 to coffee I wouldn’t say you are dishonest. I might if you did it and lied about it but that still wouldn’t seem like cheating to me.
Old 04-02-18, 12:17 PM
350htrr

I just think the concept of cheating is being stretched too poetically to be understood. To ask a group if they are tempted to cheat there needs to be a standard to measure against. It is like the words lying or stealing. It has a definition that is not nebulous. When you say you cheat at golf I would understand just what you were talking about. However I might not understand if you said you cheated by wearing gloves or not wearing gloves while playing the game.
cheating (present participle)
act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.
"she always cheats at cards"

If you drive you F350 to coffee I wouldn’t say you are dishonest. I might if you did it and lied about it but that still wouldn’t seem like cheating to me.
It's not whether you or I would think they cheated at being car light, it's the person saying they cheated... Meaning they think that they "cheated" themselves by their standard of what car light means to them, by using a car once too often, or even wanting to use a car sometimes even if the don't actually use one, that is the premise of this thread I believe. That is how I would interpret a car light person that said they "cheated" or was tempted to "cheat" in this thread...

EDIT; And, I actually do feel like I am cheating when I drive my Big-Assed diesel 3/4 to the coffee shop instead of my Prius, or better yet my bicycle, as that is where I want to end up when I manage to improve my LCL standards...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-02-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 12:43 PM
Mobile 155

It's not whether you or I would think they cheated at being car light, it's the person saying they cheated... Meaning they think that they "cheated" themselves by their standard of what car light means to them, by using a car once too often, or even wanting to use a car sometimes even if the don't actually use one, that is the premise of this thread I believe. That is how I would interpret a car light person that said they "cheated" or was tempted to "cheat" in this thread...

EDIT; And, I actually do feel like I am cheating when I drive my Big-Assed diesel 3/4 to the coffee shop instead of my Prius, or better yet my bicycle, as that is where I want to end up when I manage to improve my LCL standards...
Ok, you win. From now on I will know you are a cheater or want to cheat while being car light. I guess I will never ask you to play cards. I bet there is a twelve step program for that?

Last edited by Mobile 155; 04-02-18 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 01:25 PM
350htrr

Ok, you win. From now on I will know you are a cheater or want to cheat while being car light. I guess I will never ask you to play cards. I bet there is a twelve step program for that?
Yes I am, I fail at meeting my expectations of myself sometimes I cheat myself...

No, I do NOT cheat at cards, or at anything else or anyone else for that matter...

Two TOTALLY different kinds of "cheating"...
Old 04-02-18, 03:51 PM
Mobile 155

Yes I am, I fail at meeting my expectations of myself sometimes I cheat myself...

No, I do NOT cheat at cards, or at anything else or anyone else for that matter...

To a degree this has been interesting. I will admit it was a bit like an interrogation. Still in effect if someone can't adhere to their own rules on a game or lifestyle they invented for themselves do they have to start over once they fail? Is it like AA where someone would have to say "my name is XXXXX and I have been car light two days. I cheated Saturday and now I have only been car light till Monday. I don't believe that has been the definition of car light since I started following these threads.

I get what you are saying even if I feel it is a way to try avoid admitting failure of a goal. And I am not sure in the case of Car Light that many people could fail at the goal of driving less if that is what car light is.

I will let you off the hook and not ask the prosecutors to file fraud charges in the case of you car lightness status.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 04-02-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 04:42 PM
350htrr

To a degree this has been interesting. I will admit it was a bit like an interrogation. Still in effect if someone can't adhere to their own rules on a game or lifestyle they invented for themselves do they have to start over once they fail? Is it like AA where someone would have to say "my name is XXXXX and I have been car light two days. I cheated Saturday and now I have only been car light till Monday. I don't believe that has been the definition of car light since I started following these threads.

I get what you are saying even if I feel it is a way to try avoid admitting failure of a goal. And I am not sure in the case of Car Light that many people could fail at the goal of driving less if that is what car light is.

I will let you off the hook and not ask the prosecutors to file fraud charges in the case of you car lightness status.
BINGO. That IS what this whole "Temptation to cheat at car light" thread IS about, as I understand it. and, it's not the car light definition that counts per say (as there isn't any), it's the person's definition that he or she made up, to try and live by... I think.

There was a thread (poll) a few years ago that tried to pin down what "car light" meant to most people and I believe it ranged from using a car anywhere from 3 days a year to 52 days a year with a few people saying way more... and I mean way, way more...

EDIT; and That is exactly how it works, at least for me trying to be car light, one week fantastic, and the next week I find myself using my truck to get coffee (and not riding my bike witch is what I said to myself that I would do) when the wife is using her Prius...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-02-18 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 05:10 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
May I recommend a coffee maker for the car? That way when the desire to drive to get a cup arises, one can get in ones motorized vehicle and instead of igniting the engine, brew a cup of espresso. You will get your coffee faster with no driving at all!
Old 04-02-18, 05:28 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by noisebeam
May I recommend a coffee maker for the car? That way when the desire to drive to get a cup arises, one can get in ones motorized vehicle and instead of igniting the engine, brew a cup of espresso. You will get your coffee faster with no driving at all!
Ha, Ha, The wife says just use the coffee maker in the house...
Old 04-03-18, 11:09 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

I've heard your record library of Tammy Wynette driving songs is legendary.
Old 04-04-18, 12:34 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The easiest way is to drop your car insurance.

I presume that if I really need to drive, I can re-up my auto insurance... but that is also a big expensive hassle

Oops, the registration has also expired.

Start posting on the commuting distance page...
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ge-thread.html

Whew, I've got to get in a few more rides, otherwise I'll never keep up.
Why stop there, let your license expire.

I'm fairly confident I can get by, for the rest of my life without driving again, in this part of the world anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.