Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 05:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Supreme Court rules you don't need to carry IDs. Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada,
Old 04-05-18, 09:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Supreme Court rules you don't need to carry IDs. Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada,
Right, you don't need to carry ID; you also don't need to fly in an airplane, or if you look to the store clerk like you are not of legal age, you don't need to buy alcohol, tobacco, or some non-prescription drugs. And of course you don't need to drive a motor vehicle.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-05-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-05-18, 09:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jon c.
I fear that it may take more than that with the advent of the federal real ID law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_I...nse_or_ID_card Documentation required before issuing a license or ID card

Before a card can be issued, the applicant must provide the following documentation:
  • A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate
  • Documentation of birthdate
  • Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
  • Documentation showing name and principal residence address
Old 04-05-18, 09:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Basically a birth certificate, an SS card and a utility bill .....
Old 04-05-18, 10:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Basically a birth certificate, an SS card and a utility bill .....
Right, with that a person can get a state issued ID card or driver's license, which he can use if he/she has a need to fly in an airplane, enter many Federal/military installations/offices, or can use if he/she has a youthful appearance and has need/desire to buy alcohol, tobacco, or some non-prescription drugs. And of course if he/she has a need/desire to legally drive a motor vehicle.

If none of those situations can arise in your life, forget about it.
Old 04-05-18, 11:02 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I'm surprised officer body cams don't already do facial identification. It shouldn't be that difficult for a computer program in some police server to compare security cam photos with body cam photos. Knowing that might keep criminals off the streets and make people feel safer with LCF. Otherwise, I'm concerned that the fact driving requires a license stimulates governments to maintain sprawl and the driving-dependency that comes with it as an impetus to get people to register and submit to traffic stops as covert ID-check stops. It's also a problem that obnoxious people can run around car-free without IDs and use that as extra protection for getting away with bad behavior.
Old 04-05-18, 12:35 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I'm surprised officer body cams don't already do facial identification. It shouldn't be that difficult for a computer program in some police server to compare security cam photos with body cam photos. Knowing that might keep criminals off the streets and make people feel safer with LCF. Otherwise, I'm concerned that the fact driving requires a license stimulates governments to maintain sprawl and the driving-dependency that comes with it as an impetus to get people to register and submit to traffic stops as covert ID-check stops. It's also a problem that obnoxious people can run around car-free without IDs and use that as extra protection for getting away with bad behavior.
If you object to ID check stops, I'm not sure why you would be okay with body cam facial recognition - far more intrusive since they don't actually have to let you know they are monitoring and storing data on your movements.
Old 04-05-18, 12:43 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by cooker
If you object to ID check stops, I'm not sure why you would be okay with body cam facial recognition - far more intrusive since they don't actually have to let you know they are monitoring and storing data on your movements.
ID checks are intrusive and waste your time. It's about deterring criminals from trying to get away with crimes. If they know they are getting recognized with or without ID, that provides an incentive to stay out of LCF areas the same as random ID checks would. Security is fine, but it would be horrible to be required to carry an ID card around, which could result in a citation if you go out walking/biking without remembering to bring/carry your card.
Old 04-05-18, 12:56 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Still, some seems to be working in watching their people more closely. Not yet but how long?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/were-watching-you-britons-caught-on-cctv-70-times-a-day-6573202.html
Old 04-05-18, 02:01 PM
Maelochs

I'm concerned that the fact driving requires a license stimulates governments to maintain sprawl and the driving-dependency that comes with it as an impetus to get people to register and submit to traffic stops as covert ID-check stops. .
yup. The Illuminati persuaded Henry Ford to make the car affordable for the masses as part of their plot to put a chip in us all.
Old 04-05-18, 02:04 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Folks, if you didn't already have some form of ID or a driver's license I would suggest you ask you bank/credit union because not only was this a federal law passed and signed last year, I was told at the teller window that I absolutely would have to show it or I couldn't be served at the window.

AND it was on the news, which some insisted was fake so they defeated their own calling didn't they?

The good thing would be that it is good for eight years and since, in Oregon it's based on any previous ID or regular driver's license you originally held (and my driver's permit for driver's ed. was issued 36 years ago in 1982), I was already in the system and the requirements were minimal. If I ever hold a driver's license again the number moves to the license.
Old 04-05-18, 02:04 PM
tandempower

yup. The Illuminati persuaded Henry Ford to make the car affordable for the masses as part of their plot to put a chip in us all.
Do you not understand that one of the reason people prefer to drive out to suburbs instead of living in denser, more central LCF-friendly areas is to get away from the threat of crime they perceive?
Old 04-05-18, 05:11 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Do you not understand that one of the reason people prefer to drive out to suburbs instead of living in denser, more central LCF-friendly areas is to get away from the threat of crime they perceive?
I'm not sure if I follow you, but are you saying gov't promotes sprawl so that criminals will have to have cars and driver's licenses, and that will make it easier to identify and track them? And if they could keep tabs on criminals using facial recognition they could control crime better and make more dense central areas more attractive for people to live in? That's an awfully convoluted argument.

Here police randomly stop and ID check pedestrians too, and they do it as a way of harrassing and intimidating people. If they simply walked around facially recording everybody without asking for ID, I suppose it might mean the young black men they currently harrass might get harrassed less, and it would create masses of mostly useless data nobody will ever review. However it does create a risk of them abusing the data to harrass people in different ways: "Hmm, the computer says Jamal Robinson was seen walking in Rosedale today, and there were some robberies there last week - let's bring him in for questioning!"
Old 04-06-18, 06:14 AM
tandempower

I'm not sure if I follow you, but are you saying gov't promotes sprawl so that criminals will have to have cars and driver's licenses, and that will make it easier to identify and track them? And if they could keep tabs on criminals using facial recognition they could control crime better and make more dense central areas more attractive for people to live in? That's an awfully convoluted argument.
Why? Sprawl creates a wall of distance between the areas that suburbanites want to avoid and their homes. Those wall of distance require (more or less) driving, so that gives police a means of monitoring vehicle and license tags that drive by on a linear road instead of monitoring people in a large 2D area on foot/bicycle. So there is a logical security benefit to people living in suburbs, but it's bad for LCF. I'm just saying that if there was no (perceived) security benefit for suburban living, LCF could be more popular and sprawl less so.

Here police randomly stop and ID check pedestrians too, and they do it as a way of harrassing and intimidating people. If they simply walked around facially recording everybody without asking for ID, I suppose it might mean the young black men they currently harrass might get harrassed less, and it would create masses of mostly useless data nobody will ever review. However it does create a risk of them abusing the data to harrass people in different ways: "Hmm, the computer says Jamal Robinson was seen walking in Rosedale today, and there were some robberies there last week - let's bring him in for questioning!"
If someone is known/suspected by police as a person who is likely to know something about a crime, I think they are going to get questioned regardless. I'm sure it is unpleasant if you are friends with people who see the police as a threat and they are harassing you about whether and how you cooperated with police. But on the other hand, think how much more they would harass/exploit you if you have privacy/protection from the police and they don't have to worry about you exposing them at all.
Old 04-06-18, 07:48 AM
Maelochs

And here is another thread I guess i will leave to let it drift into inanity and then oblivion ..... Fare thee well, all.
Old 04-06-18, 07:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

This Toonerville Trolley Thread is totally off its twisted rails!

Old 06-12-18, 09:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled into this forum, otherwise I would not have known the term "car-lite." And here I thought that I was just trying to ride when the weather and my schedule allows and use our car a bit less.
Old 06-13-18, 07:07 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Koyote
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled into this forum, otherwise I would not have known the term "car-lite." And here I thought that I was just trying to ride when the weather and my schedule allows and use our car a bit less.
You'll see at the top of the page that the forum welcomes you:

"Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here."
We may bicker some, but most people here do live relatively car-light, and feel free to join in or start threads to give your perspective.

Any reason why you might want to "use our car a bit less"? We've had threads on this in the past and there are widely varied motivations, including fitness, pleasure, cost, enviro concerns and others, and probably for most people it's a combination of some of those reasons.
Old 06-13-18, 07:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
You'll see at the top of the page that the forum welcomes you:

"Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here." We may bicker some, but most people here do live relatively car-light, and feel free to join in or start threads to give your perspective.

Any reason why you might want to "use our car a bit less"? We've had threads on this in the past and there are widely varied motivations, including fitness, pleasure, cost, enviro concerns and others, and probably for most people it's a combination of some of those reasons.
cooker, thanks for the "welcome" to the forum. I appreciate it.

You have listed all of my motivations: fitness, fun, economics, and environmental concerns. My spouse and I own one car, and she needs it more, so I often ride. When the weather gets really foul (we have winters around here), we do share and carpool and such...But in better weather, I find it more convenient to ride my bike and let her have the car.

We can afford a second car, but for me, a big factor is the challenge of figuring out how to make it work: how to deal with cargo, the weather, the maintenance, etc. It adds another facet to my cycling, and I enjoy it.
Old 06-13-18, 02:03 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
And so the value of this forum is to give you a buzz word to identify your ideology rather than just share a boat with billions of other people doing some unnamed yet sensible thing
Old 06-13-18, 05:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Walter S
And so the value of this forum is to give you a buzz word to identify your ideology rather than just share a boat with billions of other people doing some unnamed yet sensible thing
Such value is equivalent to the "Participation Awards" handed out to and prized by some children in elementary school.
Old 06-14-18, 03:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
My favorite LCF Cheatin' Song is when you play it backwards all your bikes, mom and dad, best girlfriend, dog come back, you stop drinkin', and a heavenly choir sings with Olivia Newton John singing in Russian or something.

But don't play B-17!