Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape 2 City Disk

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Giant Escape 2 City Disk

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 01:05 PM
Alebikecommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Escape 2 City Disk

I just bought the 2018 Escape City Disk a few months ago for commuting to work and moving around town and I have only put 103 miles on it so I can't tell yet if there are issues. I did have the screws holding the fender in place to the front wheel fall off after just a few rides but I am not worried about that. I just tighten them up now after 3 or 4 rides because I notice they do get loose over time. I have however, been reading a lot of negative reviews about the factory parts, the crank set in particular and wonder if it will be worth upgrading considering the price I paid for the bike ($580 out the door). Is it worth it? Thanks!!
Old 04-12-18, 03:27 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Loose fasteners? Consider Loctite.

The rest? Replace what wears out.

I have heard so much hate for different brands (FSA cranks, for instance,) but I also know very serious riders who use the hated parts, and use them hard, and have the cash to upgrade-side-grade, whatever, and do not. Racers, who would spend ridiculous sums for the slightest edge, who don't make the swap.

that right there tells me what I need to know about most gear reviews. Unless I know the poster, i assume the problems are personal.

If You start noticing problems, then come asking. if other people have problems ... well, other people have problems. in my experience, a lot of people and a lot of problems. Don't be one of them.

103 miles on the bike? In a few months? Clearing off the dust and cobwebs must be your biggest maintenance problem.

Enjoy your ride. Ignore all the negativity. You will know if something is wrong. Until you do, everything is fine. Go ride and enjoy (assuming that's your thing.)
Old 04-12-18, 03:33 PM
Alebikecommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Loose fasteners? Consider Loctite.

The rest? Replace what wears out.

I have heard so much hate for different brands (FSA cranks, for instance,) but I also know very serious riders who use the hated parts, and use them hard, and have the cash to upgrade-side-grade, whatever, and do not. Racers, who would spend ridiculous sums for the slightest edge, who don't make the swap.

that right there tells me what I need to know about most gear reviews. Unless I know the poster, i assume the problems are personal.

If You start noticing problems, then come asking. if other people have problems ... well, other people have problems. in my experience, a lot of people and a lot of problems. Don't be one of them.

103 miles on the bike? In a few months? Clearing off the dust and cobwebs must be your biggest maintenance problem.

Enjoy your ride. Ignore all the negativity. You will know if something is wrong. Until you do, everything is fine. Go ride and enjoy (assuming that's your thing.)

Thanks, I sure will.
Old 04-13-18, 05:07 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Hey! Go easy on the new guy - people have to go at their own pace.

Grumble...negativity...grumble, grumble.

Last edited by cooker; 04-13-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 06:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by cooker

Deliberate misquote assassination----you cut off the smiley emoticon at the end of the line.

Low blow .... I thought better of you.

grumble, grumble .....
Old 04-13-18, 06:58 PM
Maelochs

Reminds me of my Bridgestone MB4

Surprised to see Hydro discs at that price point.

Front rack mounts too ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
iguana.jpg (489.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-13-18, 07:17 PM
Alebikecommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker

Thanks for the support. Yeah, is hard to let go of the car. Here in the US we are used to grab the car for even a trip to the corner store so I have been slow to ween off. Also, the fact that I live in CA where the infrastructure is so poor and so car centric doesn't help.
Old 04-13-18, 07:51 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Alebikecommuter
Thanks for the support. Yeah, is hard to let go of the car. Here in the US we are used to grab the car for even a trip to the corner store so I have been slow to ween off. Also, the fact that I live in CA where the infrastructure is so poor and so car centric doesn't help.
Even in SoCal location makes a lot of difference. Giant makes some good bikes. In fact they make bikes for just about every other bike company.

Suntour cranks are not a problem nor is the cartrage bottom bracket. For a cruiser hybred it is all you need. Keep it serviced and you will be fine.

The biggest problem you will have is securing your bike when you try using it like a car.
Old 04-13-18, 08:10 PM
Oilsausage

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use it until it starts to creak or gives you trouble. My BB started creaking a couple months ago, but I can't really fault the 'quality' because I put my bike through hell. I'm over weight, I ride throw snow, salt, rain, regularly haul groceries, pull my child in a trailer (with groceries) and ride it hard like a road bike.

You made a great purchase in my opinion. Worry about upgrading when you know exactly what you want out of the bike.
Old 04-14-18, 02:23 AM
Maelochs

One benefit of the threaded BB is that replacement is really easy. My favorite BBs are Shimano Hollowtech, and basically any bike with a threaded BB can be converted.

I think most of us find "car-lite" to be the best solution. No matter how much we like to ride ... sometimes loads, time, distances, and other necessities (like not showing up sweaty and exhausted from a long hot ride) make it make more sense to drive.

I look at having transport options as a boon. Though where I live Uber is not so much an option. If there are a lot of readily available ride-shares out where you live, car ownership becomes even more of a luxury.
Old 04-14-18, 01:36 PM
Alebikecommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One benefit of the threaded BB is that replacement is really easy. My favorite BBs are Shimano Hollowtech, and basically any bike with a threaded BB can be converted.

I think most of us find "car-lite" to be the best solution. No matter how much we like to ride ... sometimes loads, time, distances, and other necessities (like not showing up sweaty and exhausted from a long hot ride) make it make more sense to drive.

I look at having transport options as a boon. Though where I live Uber is not so much an option. If there are a lot of readily available ride-shares out where you live, car ownership becomes even more of a luxury.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area right in the heart of Silicon Valley so Uber and Lift are available 24/7 a stone throw away. Also, because I have a Prius that gets an average of 50 mpg I do not feel as guilty taking the car. Plus what I mentioned before, the poor infrastructure and bad cultural attitude up here towards bicyclists make the transition slow. That being said, I love my new bike, I have been riding it to the gym everyday; which is 3 miles away, so 6 miles per day.