Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 04:46 PM
Smokey69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Question

Hello all,
I'd like a little help from more experienced riders. I currently have a 2012 Trek 7300 and have been riding it on and off for several years, it has a rack & bags and the basic accessory setup. I'm enjoying riding more often and typically go about 25 - 30 miles a couple times a week. The bike is great shape, in fact I just changed its configuration a bit today and seams to fit better. I'll find out tomorrow.
My question to the group is: I'm considering upgrading to a Trek FX S4 or possibly a 2017 Specialized Cirrus Comp Carbon. If I spend the money, will my ride be noticeably different? Will I be able to go faster? or is my speed just a relationship to my power and weight? 5'9" @ 220, I currently average 13-14 mph.
Thanks for your input. I ride to workout and I enjoy riding.
Old 07-02-18, 05:08 PM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not an expert, but I have a few bikes. I notice that all three bikes you cite are hybrids. While fitness level is important, I think you’d find a more aggressive posture (drop handlebars) will yield more speed. I have a laid-back hybrid/cruiser (Specialized Roll) that’s a delight to ride on the MUP, but I won’t be breaking the land speed record any time soon. I also have a Specialized Roubaix that is at least 25% faster.

Happy trails!
Old 07-02-18, 07:20 PM
Smokey69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nightcap,

Thank you. That is something I have considered but was so frustrated with the feel of my 7300 I thought I had to replace it. Raising the seat an inch and half, tilting the seat down a bit and moving the handle bars forward 40 degrees should make it much more comfortable for me. That fixes the comfort for this style riding. What style down handle bike would you recommend I look at? I've started to do some research on them but don't know if I should be looking at a road or triathlon style. Can a quality (not race) be purchased for $1000 - $1500? Thank you
Old 07-04-18, 06:15 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can’t speak to the Trek 7300 since I’ve never ridden one. I went from a Specialized Hard Rock to my Trek Fx3 and easily gained 2-3 mph. Both would be considered hybrids ( I think), but the feel of the Trek is distinctively different and way quicker. My recommendation would be to go test ride the Fx. I noticed the quickness already in the parking lot as I tested the Fx compared to my other bike. The Specialized works better on trails than the Trek, so a different bike depending on my plans. If you don’t seem to notice any difference, don’t buy it. If you are just looking for speed, a road bike is built for more speed and you would surely notice an increase in speed if you spent $1000-$1500 on a new road bike.
Old 07-04-18, 08:15 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
2018 Trek FX Sport 4 is overall a better bike than 2012 Trek 7300 - it has better components. Compared to 7300 it is closer to a road bike - it has road groupset and it has rigid fork. So, for sure ride will be "noticeably different", you bet! Different, however, doesn't mean faster. Just from the specifications and pictures of these bikes (I don't have first hand experience with these two bikes) Trek FX Sport 4 will probably be marginally faster. Marginally. If you are interested in speed, you need to go to the proper road bike, hybrid with its upright posture and flat bars will not cut it.

But when again, your message is a bit confusing. It seems that though you were riding your current bike for several years, you still didn't get a proper fit on it. Adjust fit on your current bike first, if at all possible (if its size is correct for you). You'll never go fast if your fit is wrong, particularly if your seat is way lower than it should be. Put different tires on it - road slicks. Change to clipless pedals. This will make your current bike go significantly faster and will make it more comfortable to ride.
Old 07-05-18, 05:57 PM
Smokey69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I adjusted my old Trek 7300 and it is ok for now. I'm going to keep it for a while and look to buy another bike. Later this week I'll see if the local shop will let me test the following; Checkpoint ALR4, Domane ALR 4 and Emonda ALR5. I know this is a big turn, but rather than replace my older entry level hybrid I think I'd be better of having a choice of bikes for the type of riding I want to do. Then maybe upgrade the 7300 to a FX, or maybe I'll like one of these others ones so much better I'll do what I do will all my stuff, give it to my brother.

The Checkpoint seams like it would fit my riding the best, paved paths, country roads and sometimes gravel or just broken up roads. We'll see after I get a chance to ride them.
Old 07-14-18, 02:37 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Did you ever try the Checkpoint? I have really been interested an adventure / touring type bike. I've been considering something from the Raleigh Willard line, but being unable to actually ride one makes it difficult to spend the money. I spoke to my LBS yesterday and he isn't sure if he will be getting in a Checkpoint or not. He says it's a niche market and he isn't sure if he will be able to move it once it's in stock.